Lt. Commander
# 1 The KDF UI is too red!
04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I get that red is their color and all, but please let us change the color theme of the UI. Having to stare at a screen filled with red is the primary factor that discourages me from playing my KDF characters more often.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Funny...I actually prefer the red interface over the blue. :p

What color would you want to change it to?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
fed's dark blue is fine, a neutral dark grey would also be good.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-02-2012, 07:10 AM
i have been here since the beta, and am only now considering the klingon gameplay

the reason: the horrible red color of the hud
i dont care if this color is 100% canon, it's annoying..
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Have to admit I;m a +1 to this. I can play the federation toon I have for hours. 30-45 minutes with the Klingons and I;m having eye strain.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I have to admit, that I created a Klingon character because I actually like the Klingon Empire as a playable race.

I enjoyed playing Klingon Academy with my Klingon ships and voice overs. I enjoyed playing as the Klingon Empire in Birth of the Federation and in Star Trek Armada. However, I do not enjoy playing Klingons in Star Trek Online because I canít stand the UI. It gives me a headache.

The Klingon UI does not have enough contrast. The color scheme of the overall UI is much too bright red for my eyes. I wish I could tone the bright red in favor of a darker red, sort of like the color of real human blood when it is exposed to the air. The overall UI color of Red needs to be darker! I think the text in the UI should be bright red on a dark red background.

I also do not like the choice of yellow for highlighting contacts or other ships. I think it should be a different shade or brightness of red on red.

That is just my own opinion. If we could make color changes to the UI, i'd play Klingons more often.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto

You've got to be kidding...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Another one of those? I guess that means I can give another +1 to this as well.

It's not that I want to take the red away for the people that like it.I just want to get rid of some of it for myself! At least they could give hostile ships a blue color. That orange/red difference is way too little. I suppose it's particularly bad due to my red/green weakness, but it's really difficult for me to see what are hostiles and what are friendlies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-02-2012, 11:02 AM
^And what part of "get a life" is a useful contribution to this discussion?
I agree with the original poster, one of the main reasons I don't play more with my Klingon toons is the overwhelming red HUD.
I get that the color may be "canon" to Klingon ships in all of the scenes in TV/ movies where Klingon interiors are seen, but if we are going to cling to what is canon then why is the labeling in English and not Klingon(ese)?
I know that red is sometimes used for ambient lighting to protect night vision for night ops and in darkened rooms to allow personnel to see their instruments better. The reason for that is that the brain doesn't register red when controlling eye focus or pupil dilation, but as a result red is a difficult color to focus on.
I would much prefer if the red were subdued or a more neutral color were available instead. brown, gray, whatever, it would even be better if the red were only used for frames and borders of the windows instead of overlaying everything as it is now.
No doubt if Romulans become a playable faction in the future, I expect that their HUDs and overlays will be predominately green, that to me would be preferable, that the eye straining red of Klingon ships.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
At least the HUD is not a shifting rainbow with the blink command tied in for good measure.