Lt. Commander
HUD/UI makes my game almost unplayable.

Several users have posted this on the forums for a long time, some time ago, along time ago. Its time it gets fixed.

UI/HUD slows down my, and couple of others, the game down SIGNIFICANTLY in terms of FPS.

- Show inventory, minus 10 FPS
- Show Character/ship stats, minus 10 FPS
- Show Configuration/Options screen minus 10 FPS
- Alot of overlays in the game, especially reticles on ships, npc's, mines. Names on ships, NPC's. Minus 20 FPS!!!

And now it comes:
- DISABLE HUD/UI via keybind: FPS increases to 60FPS+

Im really really getting sick of this, I can barely play PvP with this crap. It has something to do with the overlay engine or such? It seems like its mostly affecting Nvidia people.

People complain that the game goes very slow and drops FPS like crazy with alot of spam on the screen. The funny thing is, this most likely does not have ANYTHING to do with the rendering of the 3D models and such which are present on the screen. Its the **** UI thats slowing the whole game down.

It almost looks like this part of the game is not Hardware accelerated or something?...

My information for Developers:
- Nvidia Mobile GT 330M (256MB Dedicated memory)
- Having this issue since i play this game since December. My drivers have been updated all the time and are up to date as we speak
- I can even put everything on the lowest of the lowest qualily, the game FPS still drops SIGNIFICANTLY with alot of crap on the screen (again refering to windows, transparent windows, inventory window, ship overlays, etcetera.

Is there any chance the Developers might look into this soon?
Thank you very, very much.

Edit: Ive done some additional testing which might be useful for the Developers; Ive enabled Ambient Occlusion, which makes the FPS go down to 22FPS or so (Not nice to play this way). But when I now try to reproduce this problem, opening up Inventory, adding alot of overlays to the game in a high spam area or something, the FPS does not drop because of it. Nor does it increase for even 1 FPS when i disable the whole HUD. This almost makes me believe this has something to do with each other?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
i have made a thread about this a long time ago... nobody cared.
i'd be surprised if anybody reacts here.

it is 100% correct what you say.

...ultimately i got sick of it and just threw more Hardware at the Problem
(actually Shooter Mode with 30 - 40 FPS just sucked donkeyb***z , so i blame shooter mode for my decision to waste money on my latest hardware upgrade ;P )

got myself a new CPU,
now i rarely fall below 60FPS (only the exchange still sucks up FPS... but who cares)

it's silly that i needed to upgrade from a Q6600 @3,1GHz to a i5 6500K @ 4,6GHz...
which officially does not even *exist*, you have to overclock to even get there

requirements on the DVD Box:
Minimum: Core 2 Duo 1,8GHz (lolololol)
Recommended: Intel E8400 (= 3,0 GHz)

i guess this is correct if you deactivate the UI ?

well, now i am happy with the game as it is.
60 FPS around ESD, in ESD, on SFA, PvP.... nice (only Quo'nos is around 50-55 FPS)

btw. GPU is a GTX460...

Of course "MMO's are optimized for low end systems"...
that is why we have Polygon Budgets on our spaceships... and can only do so much with textures.
...funny enough

haha lol sure whatever you say sir.

All i see is a obvious excuse to not make awesome looking Spaceships or Detailed Interiors,
while the crappy looking UI eats up half the Framerate...

also... go to the HUD options and deactivate all the needless UI spam.
i do not display, names, boxes etc.
all i dipslay are healthbars *if needed*
and only boxes of enemy ships + team members + friendly NPC ships.

you also can hide the XP bar on top of the screen (at VA1 you don't need that thing anymore)
and every row in the Powertray LESS means more FPS
so try to keep it at 2 rows + the BOff Tray.

With my old system i could even see 5 - 10FPS difference if only my Inventory was full or empty! (while opened)

//edit:

here is my old thread, even the pictures still work:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=183283
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
question how do you turn off the XP bar?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
i have made a thread about this a long time ago... nobody cared.
i'd be surprised if anybody reacts here.

it is 100% correct what you say.

...ultimately i got sick of it and just threw more Hardware at the Problem
(actually Shooter Mode with 30 - 40 FPS just sucked donkeyb***z , so i blame shooter mode for my decision to waste money on my latest hardware upgrade ;P )

got myself a new CPU,
now i rarely fall below 60FPS (only the exchange still sucks up FPS... but who cares)

it's silly that i needed to upgrade from a Q6600 @3,1GHz to a i5 6500K @ 4,6GHz...
which officially does not even *exist*, you have to overclock to even get there

requirements on the DVD Box:
Minimum: Core 2 Duo 1,8GHz (lolololol)
Recommended: Intel E8400 (= 3,0 GHz)

i guess this is correct if you deactivate the UI ?

well, now i am happy with the game as it is.
60 FPS around ESD, in ESD, on SFA, PvP.... nice (only Quo'nos is around 50-55 FPS)

btw. GPU is a GTX460...

Of course "MMO's are optimized for low end systems"...
that is why we have Polygon Budgets on our spaceships... and can only do so much with textures.
...funny enough

haha lol sure whatever you say sir.

All i see is a obvious excuse to not make awesome looking Spaceships or Detailed Interiors,
while the crappy looking UI eats up half the Framerate...

also... go to the HUD options and deactivate all the needless UI spam.
i do not display, names, boxes etc.
all i dipslay are healthbars *if needed*
and only boxes of enemy ships + team members + friendly NPC ships.

you also can hide the XP bar on top of the screen (at VA1 you don't need that thing anymore)
and every row in the Powertray LESS means more FPS
so try to keep it at 2 rows + the BOff Tray.

With my old system i could even see 5 - 10FPS difference if only my Inventory was full or empty! (while opened)

//edit:

here is my old thread, even the pictures still work:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=183283
Yeh but still, come on. I have Anti Aliasing on 4x, Anicostropic filtering on 16x. Lightning on High, Shadows on High. Post processing on. Literally everything is high except for Ambient occlusion which REALY slows down the game.

Even with these settings I can play a really messy match with dozens of mobs, mines, spam. At long as the UI is off. But without it, the game is hardly playable. I mean u dont know what ur doing. lol

Probably nobody else cares, or doesnt even seem to notice its actually the HUD which slows down the game considerably. (They always blame the spam, but not the real reason its getting choppy).
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I get the same thing too

turning the HUD/Ui off there is a noticeable increase in FPS.

If it helps I use an AMD 6870 1GB
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Same problem.
I have a crossfire of HD 5850.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Same issue on a Radeon 5870. They really need to optimize the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti and I get the same issue.

I have noticed something, though. Using my G15 keyboard with the performance monitor on...

Whenever the UI is up all the way, my CPU performance is dropped drastically, say down to about 50% or so, which causes massive stuttering.

Whenever I do Alt + F12 to hide the HUD/UI completely, my CPU performance increases up to about 80% and everything runs absolutely smooth.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
so you are complaining that framerate drops when you set all of your graphics settings to high, but only lowered AO?

and your graphics card is only a 256mb?

my card has 1gb and I can barely run at max settings.

Try reducing the other settings, you'll notice a marked improvement in FPS. You don't really need AA at 4x or AF at 16x, if you cut those in half you won't even notice the difference graphics wise, but that alone should improve your FPS significantly. If you still need more you can set shadows and lighting to a lower setting, again, you probably won't notice the difference unless you are looking very carefully, and that will squeeze a few more FPS out of it. Also cutting back the draw distances will help, you don't really need to see more than 150 feet or so ahead of you on the ground anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
so you are complaining that framerate drops when you set all of your graphics settings to high, but only lowered AO?

and your graphics card is only a 256mb?

my card has 1gb and I can barely run at max settings.

Try reducing the other settings, you'll notice a marked improvement in FPS. You don't really need AA at 4x or AF at 16x, if you cut those in half you won't even notice the difference graphics wise, but that alone should improve your FPS significantly. If you still need more you can set shadows and lighting to a lower setting, again, you probably won't notice the difference unless you are looking very carefully, and that will squeeze a few more FPS out of it. Also cutting back the draw distances will help, you don't really need to see more than 150 feet or so ahead of you on the ground anyway.
as i said i have noticed the exact same behaviour, and i had a 856MB GTX 260, now i got a 1GB GTX460...

of course on lower end machines it will produce even worse results, but isn't the default PR excuse of all MMO Dev's to have sucking graphics?
Because it has to run on as many low end PC's as possible to reach the most possible customers???

Well for STO it's not the Polygon Count on the low quality Spaceships... it's the friggen UI overlays that slow everybody down and the only way to counter it is to throw more Hardware at the Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxu View Post
I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti and I get the same issue.

I have noticed something, though. Using my G15 keyboard with the performance monitor on...

Whenever the UI is up all the way, my CPU performance is dropped drastically, say down to about 50% or so, which causes massive stuttering.

Whenever I do Alt + F12 to hide the HUD/UI completely, my CPU performance increases up to about 80% and everything runs absolutely smooth.
That info isn't worth much without knowing what the GPU does in that time... and what kind of CPU you use.

Try AIDA 64 (formerly known as Everest), it has a nice customizable display for the G15 and can monitor pretty much everything you ever might want to know.