Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Okay so there have been WAY WAY too many people creating threads OVER and OVER and OVER again about the same issues with ATI/AMD Graphics Cards.

1) Borg Cubes "Rubber-banding" in the War zone @ Ker'rat: REALLY ISN'T a graphics problem, it's actually a collision detection error with the cubes, repair hulks, and other objects.

SOLUTION: Suffer until Cryptic/PWE can get around to fixing it.

2) Blacked out textures: If your using a name brand computer you purchased and it's not brand new, don't go by whatever the sticker or the box said that your component specs are/where. If it's an older computer and especially one that's seen alot of use your RAM, Processor, Graphics card might not be actually running at what it used to be. Usually a 4gig RAM will be anywhere between 4-4.4gig actually, so most time you won't notice if it's not still at specs, but if it was only slightly above 4gig, it might be below 4gig now. This also applies to your processor and graphics card.

SOLUTION: Check your system info in the control panel and make sure everything really is above the min specs for the game. If it is then see Issue 3, if it isn't then time for some upgrading or getting a newer system.

3) Blacked out textures and other graphical errors that just started: ATI/AMD don't really believe in doing a hotfix if a minority of users are having an issue with their drivers because of a specific issue. Instead they will just release a new version of the drivers and leave it up to the users if they update to the new one or not. This can cause any number of problems that weren't there before.

SOLUTION: Revert back to the previous version that worked without any issues for you. Typically the most stable versions of the ATI/AMD drivers tends to be the X.1 releases. Now sometimes doing a simple roll back doesn't always work and you might have to do a bit more work. If the roll back falls to correct the problem then re-download the version that was stable for you, but don't install it yet. Go into your control panel and uninstall all components for the graphics card from there. Then when that is finished check your programs file folder to make sure the AMD/ATI folder is actually deleted. Restart the computer and then reinstall. Don't forget you're going to have to redo all your graphics settings.

4) Particle Effects (IE: vent warp plasma, etc) These types of effects are killer on a graphics card, probably the most resource draining of any graphics. Most common issue is graphical lag

Solution: lower particle effect options, get a newer graphics card. Now most people aren't going to want to do either of those, so don't worry there is a third option to try. Note this isn't always going to be 100% effective, but go into your advanced system settings and change the options for virtual memory. By default this is set to let windows manage it, but sometimes good old windows just doesn't keep up with doing this. If you have the hard drive room to spare you're best best is to set that at 10-20 gigs. Windows like to keep this around 4-5 unless you really consistently give your system a workout so your best off just setting it yourself and setting it high.

5) When in doubt remember to breath. It's more that likely something that's easily fixed and probably already listed here. if not check the forums BEFORE creating a new thread because chances are it's an issue that's already been solved.

PS: 6) IF you're using a custom built computer especially one you had a friend or someone build for you and you didn't build it yourself, check the specs on your graphics card for the min power required. If you're power supply isn't large enough to handle everything in your computer the graphics card is more often than not the one that suffers the most. Remember even if it's not a custom built computer if you have too many external devices plugged in and your power supply just barely meets the requirements for your graphics card, those extra devices plugged in may be taking away too much power from the rest of the system. Always try to go atleast 50-100 above what you actually need, and you'll never have this particular issue.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

EDITED 3/25/2012: Both Cryptic and AMD have both stated that they are aware of current issues with the DX11 in game and with the 12.2/12.3 driver set respectively. Please just be patient with both companies as they try their best to make these changes in a timely fashion. In the mean time there are still the solutions posted here, and also by other users in this thread and many others. Good Luck and Happy Gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Good stuff! but I've actually come up with my own solution for the graphics displaying black boxes on 3d objects. Its a problem relating to the AA (antialising) for which I have found two possible solutions 1) disable AA or 2) running it in full screen windowed mode actually lets AA be on without graphics problems, bare in mind though that this may significantly reduce performance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Good work on collating the info, should be stickied to be kept up top and on the first page, was gonna do this but you beat me to the punch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkknight
Good stuff! but I've actually come up with my own solution for the graphics displaying black boxes on 3d objects. Its a problem relating to the AA (antialising) for which I have found two possible solutions 1) disable AA or 2) running it in full screen windowed mode actually lets AA be on without graphics problems, bare in mind though that this may significantly reduce performance.
yeah, the only reasons why I didn't put that in the solutions is really let's face it, AA on looks better and full screen windowed mode can really be annoying for people as it takes away from some of the immersion to the game. With how simple it is to revert back to a stable driver set and not having to worry about performance reductions.

I actually started this thread hoping someone would make it a sticky thread. These problems are so simple to fix and since they actually have nothing to do with problems with the game itself it would be so much easier for people to have a one stop thread for solutions. I've seen probably about 20 different threads all for the graphics blocking (pixalization) with more showing up everyday and it's just a simple buggy driver from AMD/ATI.

Not only would this be the perfect one stop thread for solutions but it would make it much easier to address any new issues if people would just post them in a reply here rather than creating whole new threads that might not get seen or would get duplicated 20 times over.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-14-2012, 06:08 AM
man this sucks every time i go to log into sto either there are bugs or something stopping me from playing
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
yeah, the only reasons why I didn't put that in the solutions is really let's face it, AA on looks better and full screen windowed mode can really be annoying for people as it takes away from some of the immersion to the game. With how simple it is to revert back to a stable driver set and not having to worry about performance reductions.

I actually started this thread hoping someone would make it a sticky thread. These problems are so simple to fix and since they actually have nothing to do with problems with the game itself it would be so much easier for people to have a one stop thread for solutions. I've seen probably about 20 different threads all for the graphics blocking (pixalization) with more showing up everyday and it's just a simple buggy driver from AMD/ATI.

Not only would this be the perfect one stop thread for solutions but it would make it much easier to address any new issues if people would just post them in a reply here rather than creating whole new threads that might not get seen or would get duplicated 20 times over.
I actually tried rolling back my drivers to several previous versions including 11.7 which I was using, but to no avail. The black cubing persisted and I came to the conclusion that it was not entirely AMD's fault and that it also has something to do with the last patch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
i went back to 11.8 and that seemed to clear things up
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
I actually tried rolling back my drivers to several previous versions including 11.7 which I was using, but to no avail. The black cubing persisted and I came to the conclusion that it was not entirely AMD's fault and that it also has something to do with the last patch.
okay, what's your system specs?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
okay, what's your system specs?
Radion HD 6870

Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz

16gb g-skill ripjaw ram

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 motherboard

Windows 7 pro 64 bit / mac osx 10.7.2

though's are all the imported specs, but I don't actually uninstall the old drivers first I just hit install on what ever new ones I'm going to use so that might be the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Radion HD 6870

Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz

16gb g-skill ripjaw ram

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 motherboard

Windows 7 pro 64 bit / mac osx 10.7.2

though's are all the imported specs, but I don't actually uninstall the old drivers first I just hit install on what ever new ones I'm going to use so that might be the problem.
Yup, it's all your fault, and I'm feeding you to some PMSing Pregnant Targs!!! lol j/k

okay now on a serious note, you and I have the same graphics cards, so reverting back to 12.1 should have made it run sparkly clean and crisp. If I were you I would definitely try downloading 12.1 catalyst, but not installing it right away and then completely removing the one you have installed now. Once you have the old one removed then run disk cleanup, then manually check the "program files (x86)" and "program files" folders to make sure there is no AMD/ATI folder. If there is than manually delete it and then run disk cleanup again just to triple check there's nothing left in the temp folders and restart the computer. Once you restart don't worry if you have no sound if you're using an hdmi cable for audio and video and your desktop might not be properly fitting to you monitor/tv either. Now you can go ahead and install the 12.1 drivers and then once that's finished installing restart your computer again. Once your computer is done restarting your hdmi audio and display will be working properly again, and then go ahead and try the game which should be fine at this point.

I know that sounds like a lot and some of that seems overly repetitive, but it's not as bad as it seems and it'll insure a clean install of the drivers. If you're using a HDTV instead of a monitor you'll probably have to adjust the over-scaling in catalyst, but if you're usig a HDTV then you should already be used to that.