Lt. Commander
# 21
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Sulu may actually have been a department head, though. Possibly Operations? (I don't think this stuff was defined back then, though...)
he was the sciences dept head in the original pilot
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
I wouldn't call Troi a primary bridge officer either.

Do remember that both of them would have advanced degrees to hold the positions that they're in. That alone would give them extra rank I would think.

edit: My vote would be whoever held Tac or whoever held Engineering, depending on the season. I know in ToS, it seemed to flip back and forth between Scotty and Sulu and both of them were seen to hold the bridge when Kirk and Spock were gone.
I count her. Because in the pilot, she does hold the rank. So she had to go through normal Starfleet training etc. She just preferred being counselor and dress up casual, to work with people better. Crusher and Laforge I don't count, because they aren't on the bridge. As for her issues in Disaster. Of course she couldn't deal with being in command. That was her first time. She needed the help. The ship was in deep crap during that whole problem.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
I count her. Because in the pilot, she does hold the rank. So she had to go through normal Starfleet training etc. She just preferred being counselor and dress up casual, to work with people better. Crusher and Laforge I don't count, because they aren't on the bridge. As for her issues in Disaster. Of course she couldn't deal with being in command. That was her first time. She needed the help. The ship was in deep crap during that whole problem.
She also knew O'Brien's service record and realized his input would be invaluable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Not necessarily. Starfleet is a fictional organization and, as such, is only as fleshed-out as need be for purposes of story-telling; but, it seems to be very much based on the British/U.S. naval model so we can extrapolate from there to an extent.

Many persons in the military with advanced degrees who are preforming highly specialized tasks (doctors and lawyers mostly) are what is known as "Direct commission" officers. They go through very little military training, usually limited to some classes on protocol, before going into active service. Troi was the equivalent of a psychiatrist or psychologist so she likely fell into this category.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I recall a TNG episode where Troi took some kind of command test to allow her to take off-hours shifts in command of the bridge. So it does seem that medical personnel are outside the normal chain of command unless they take action to get the necessary qualifications.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner
Not necessarily. Starfleet is a fictional organization and, as such, is only as fleshed-out as need be for purposes of story-telling; but, it seems to be very much based on the British/U.S. naval model so we can extrapolate from there to an extent.

Many persons in the military with advanced degrees who are preforming highly specialized tasks (doctors and lawyers mostly) are what is known as "Direct commission" officers. They go through very little military training, usually limited to some classes on protocol, before going into active service. Troi was the equivalent of a psychiatrist or psychologist so she likely fell into this category.
I'm taking her line from the pilot as being she entered starfleet as a normal officer. But pursued Counselor starting in episode 2. She even talks about this in later episodes. She followed her fathers footsteps. So I really doubt she did it that way. Your explanation doesn't work when she becomes a commander. If she was only commissioned, she wouldn't of had the requirements of a commanding Bridge officer (since you said they skipped training). And would of not been allowed to do the test.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
your number two got laid off