Lt. Commander
# 31
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWard1701 View Post
On assignments where a Doff regardless of quality is going to be lost.

1) Put the Red Text stating this before the assignment description, that way in order to read the assignment description, you have to read it.

This sounds like the absolute easiest thing they could implement without risking an inadvertant bug and would likely be very easy to do.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We are looking into ways to clarify the situation for players without causing unnecessary overhead for experienced users of the system.
Would it be simpler fix to :

1) Have a terminal where any one-time-issued unique DOff you have earned (say, from Renown's, the DS9 bundle, Tribble rewards, etc., be able to be bought back for Dilith.

2) Allow us to mark some DOff's "No trade" (that we can toggle on and off). Let's not mince words, this is essentially a TCG, and most TCG let you mark things "No Trade". The difference is, the user can toggle this on and off, but it takes consent and clicking to do so. It prevents you from accidentally destroying, putting on the exchange, etc., without intentionally marking it as tradable again.

I think #2 would make life so much easier for us who are constantly flipping them around, destroying them, etc., making room for more.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnagroJaneway
2) Allow us to mark some DOff's "No trade" (that we can toggle on and off). Let's not mince words, this is essentially a TCG, and most TCG let you mark things "No Trade". The difference is, the user can toggle this on and off, but it takes consent and clicking to do so. It prevents you from accidentally destroying, putting on the exchange, etc., without intentionally marking it as tradable again.
I like the sound of Option 2 - I wonder if that will be simpler for Cryptic to implement rather than more popups?
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Fully agree, Capn.. well said.

A little bit patience for reading all infos is needed, thats all. A lot of people mouse clicks and move hands faster than eyes, and then that is what happen. STO is not a game like Call Of Duty, or so, Informations are very very important here. Take your time, scroll down if needed (its not hard...) read,and then make your choice.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Wow some really great ideas, I knew this thread would come up with some incredible ideas.

Expanding on AnagroJaneway's idea, I'd love to have a little box somewhere you can tick, and it simply prevents any of those unique doffs you can only ever get one copy of from even appearing in the candidate list of 'fatal' assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I've lost my exocomp and my Friday 13th DoFF from this exact same situation. Whilst I know it was my own fault, I was also quite dismayed to of lost 2 unique DoFF's. I think the problem is that most DoFF missions that use something have an icon above the DoFF's showingwhat the cost is or what will be taken (And that is where I look when doing assignments). The ones that eat DoFF's however do not do this, they have some red text that sometimes you can't see unless you scroll down, thus if you are DoFFing quickly, its very easy tomiss.

My solution would be to add an icon of the DoFF you are using in the area where the consumables you wil use are for other missions, maybe even have a red border around it, so its far more clear that the DoFF will be eaten? Right now it really is far to easy to loose a DoFF, the other issue is that the missions that eat DoFFs are usually rare or very rare, meaning people are more likely to use thier rare and very rare DoFF's on them, meaning the accidental loss can be far greater.

If multiple people are making this mistake then it's a usability issue with the system, may as well try to fix it :-)
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Oh another great idea, just put a Red Shirt icon amonst the others. Literally... a red shirt... both funny, canon and effective at the same time.
Edit: Maybe that 'mens room' icon you see on bathroom doors, except... red.
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Anything this easy to put in that can greatly reduce the chance of a player becoming infuriated is good business by cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarContinuum
Oh another great idea, just put a Red Shirt icon amonst the others. Literally... a red shirt... both funny, canon and effective at the same time.
Edit: Maybe that 'mens room' icon you see on bathroom doors, except... red.
That's the best idea yet. That, or a skull icon on the assignment, would make it really, really obvious that you're going to lose a DOFF.
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Would it be possible to remove First Officer Recommendations on missions that will eat your Doff? That may be a simple method to highlight the deadly nature of the mission. Frankly, I want to airlock my First Officer for recommending that my purple Doffs be executed as Changeling Spies.