Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
...is that there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what constitutes "Trek". I see this all the time; "There's no REAL exploration in this game, not very Trek".

How does one define what is "Trek" and what isn't?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
There is no consensus of what 'Trek' is, because everyone's idea of it is different.

Some believe it's what Roddenberry declared what was canon
Some believe it's the pseudo communist utopia
Some believe it's an exploration piece
Some believe it's a pacifistic and diplomatic piece
Some believe it can be a war piece as well.

Personally I think it's an adventure genre, where people go out and have wild adventures in war, peace, and exploration.

There is no one defined aspect of Star Trek, I personally believe it is what you make of it, just like anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
If you like TNG, this game is lacking in the diplomacy.
If you like TOS, this game is lacking in the atmosphere.
If you like VOY, this game is lacking in the exploration.
If you like DS9, this game is lacking in combat and story.
If you like ENT, this game is what you play when they allow you out of your padded cell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o4q View Post
...is that there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what constitutes "Trek". I see this all the time; "There's no REAL exploration in this game, not very Trek".

How does one define what is "Trek" and what isn't?
Flow chart:

1) Does the core mechanic involve exploring strange planets and making cool discoveries to advance the player's progression? (If Yes, go to 6. If No, go to 2.)

2) Does it involve blowing the ever-loving stuffing out of every alien you encounter? (If Yes, go to 5, if no, go to 3.)

3) Do you solve most of your negotiations with words? (If Yes, go to 6. If No, go to 4.)

4) Do you use a lightsabre? (If yes, go to 5. If no, go to 1.)

5) It's Star Wars.

6) It's Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
I think it's great that Trek has so many elements, and that different fans love it for different reasons. Part of the message of the Federation's values is that we should respect each others' opinions, and it's fitting that following this allows different fans to love their elements together.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
I think it's great that Trek has so many elements, and that different fans love it for different reasons. Part of the message of the Federation's values is that we should respect each others' opinions, and it's fitting that following this allows different fans to love their elements together.
It fills my need. I don't know about you, but when I was growing up and walking back and forth on a downed tree pretending I was the captain of the Universe-Class USS Andromeda, I wasn't doing environmental surveys. :p

I log on and see an Excelsior-class ship I have control of and I kill Klingons. I'm playing Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
This is missing ......."Where No One Has Gone Before"

Let me out of this fish bowl, and can everyone stop blowing everything up!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I love your post. I'm going to use it as my signature
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
STO will evolve—as it has. Star Trek is many things. But some things are central. The signature piece of Star Trek is the Prime Directive. The idea that Star Fleet stays out of developing cultures. But all bets are off for cultural “peers”. Often Captains tried to avoid conflict, but every one of them managed to fire their phasers at one point. Trek covers a lot of ground. Much more than STO covers today. But in another 10 years… It could be pretty comprehensive.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I personally believe that Q put it best as "exploring the unknown possibilities of existence."

That is how I define Trek.