Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Perhaps we can all agree that what Trek is not:

giving characters half-brained reasons to go here, kill 5/5 bad guys, and rinse and repeat. Every Trek series had something resembling a "soul." STO does not, apart from a few notable missions and FEs.

We can disagree on what counts as 'Trek." Still, I would define it the way that everyone usually does: SF as allegory, often touching upon relevant social issues. Even Ent tried to do that every once in awhile.

The Cryptic content has almost none of this. It's an arcade shoot em up for the most part.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Star Trek is not about gambling and lockboxes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silo935
Star Trek is not about gambling and lockboxes.
That's why I pass and don't participate in them. You will play what you feel Star Trek is. With some people, this means going so far as to RP. For me, I always preferred the galactic political relationships. The lock boxes aren't an issue with me because I ignore them. When I have used up all I plan on spending on them, I move on to other things.

I'm a small business owner with only an hour a day to play at most. I'm not going to get bent all out of shape over a temporary addition to the game that I don't like. I'm not a fan of PvP, so I avoid it. I'm not a fan of getting aux batteries as drops, so I delete them. What's one more "discard"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Perhaps we can all agree that what Trek is not:

giving characters half-brained reasons to go here, kill 5/5 bad guys, and rinse and repeat.
Have you seen Nemisis? The picking up of B4's parts reminded me of an STO mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
That's why I pass and don't participate in them. You will play what you feel Star Trek is. With some people, this means going so far as to RP. For me, I always preferred the galactic political relationships. The lock boxes aren't an issue with me because I ignore them. When I have used up all I plan on spending on them, I move on to other things.

I'm a small business owner with only an hour a day to play at most. I'm not going to get bent all out of shape over a temporary addition to the game that I don't like. I'm not a fan of PvP, so I avoid it. I'm not a fan of getting aux batteries as drops, so I delete them. What's one more "discard"?
I feel the same way. I ignore them when I can. What I can't ignore is how ugly they are as drops on a map. It's very weird that something so important to Cryptic is so ugly as a prop.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
This is a star trek MMO.

When you buy a star trek mug you don't get annoyed that its not trek enough. It is a mug. You can argue that it doesn't properly represent the IP if the mug has say an inappropriate image on it, but its still just a mug. If you play a star trek RTS or FPS it will also inherit the properties of the respective genres.

Now with that out of the way, to me trek is about crazy adventures in space with technobabble where the human condition is examined and our good qualities save the day. I also thing TOS was the best series and enjoyed the JJ-Trek for what it was so my opinion is obviously a twisted one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
If you like ENT, this game is what you play when they allow you out of your padded cell.
How did you know where I live?
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Quote:
That's why I pass and don't participate in them. You will play what you feel Star Trek is. With some people, this means going so far as to RP. For me, I always preferred the galactic political relationships. The lock boxes aren't an issue with me because I ignore them. When I have used up all I plan on spending on them, I move on to other things . . . I'm not going to get bent all out of shape over a temporary addition to the game that I don't like..
The lockboxes are not temporary. They have been confirmed by senior devs as being 'here to stay.' With, I believe, the addition of the words 'take it or leave it.'
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silo935
The lockboxes are not temporary. They have been confirmed by senior devs as being 'here to stay.' With, I believe, the addition of the words 'take it or leave it.'
Temporary, as in, only here every know and then. When people quit buying keys, PWE will quit offering them. Obviously, since they are still being offered, your position is in the minority.

On my list of issues with this game, Lockboxes are nowhere near the top. Don't like them? Discard them and move on with life.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
This is missing ......."Where No One Has Gone Before"

Let me out of this fish bowl, and can everyone stop blowing everything up!
I agree with this. Afew things I think would make it more Trek for me:

Don't make it so easy to go to ESD. Whenever a ship came to ESD it was because it was for some really big reason.

Make exploration much more vast, make it something I can get lost in. I think it would be kick *** if with each season there were a lot of unexplored, unannounced systems added to one huge empty map (and this map would grow bigger and bigger with each season as well). I want to chart systems and share the ones I found with friends - It would be amazing to find something different, unique, and fresh at random. As far as getting lost with it, I mean exactly that - I want getting home to be somewhat of a struggle.

Is my ship ever going to break down? Is there ever going to be an alien entity take it over?

Make me think! A loved the episodes where strange things would happen and nobody really knew what was going on, but they'd figure it out - Sometimes it had a pretty good twist.

I want to get to know my Boffs better! I think this is the least likely of my requests, but I want to breif with my boffs, form relationships, or watch relationships be formed - I want to see how they progress as characters throughout the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-30-2012, 11:32 PM
If you think back on it thee wasn't really much 'exploration' in any of the series, but that's because exploration is very dull, what the TV shows were about when they did exploration was 45 minutes of drama with the alien of the week (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nsterOfTheWeek).

Which is kind of what we get in the exploration sectors...