Lt. Commander
# 1 Flashback to Bridge commander
05-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Ah yes Star Trek: Bridge Commander, in many peoples opinion the closest thing you can get to actually captaining a starship (even if your crew happen to act like thunderbirds puppets) and what many back in the day hoped would be the interface and general interaction used in STO...

...clearly this wasn't the case, after all multiplayer ST:BC was not really a viable interface for an MMO, i wont get into the whys and wherefores as the game itself isnt what this thread is about.

So what is this thread about? well simply it comes down to customization. Dont get me wrong im not talking about designing ships here but perhaps giving us the chance to play with our personal ships internal configuration? how about some custom internal wall textures? or some art for the walls of our ready rooms and 10 forward?

I know its been a while since i played ST:BC but its community kicked off when basic mods were available and i honestly think the ability to add a little flavor to the game would add a lot, i mean even WoW lets players customize there interface with addons.

so what am i actually asking for?

- A modifiable AI
- DPS and threat meters
- fan made civilian clothing
- non combat customizable skins for ships (internal and hull skins)
- perhaps modifiable ship skins in holodecks depicting age/damage etc.

i mean look at ST:BC for a second, as a game it is very low tech but thanks to the fan community it is still one of the most played Star Trek based games ever made and still has a place in my gaming collection and now a permanent place on my laptop as my offline Star Trek game of choice.

Now for a second just forget that customization is non viable within the game and let your imagination fly.

what if you could do anything with the boundary of ST:BC and STO would you want?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2012, 06:54 AM
When I first heard about sto I thought it will be more like Bridge commander and that each character was a player instead. Boy I miss Bridge Commander, I wish there was a second one.

Hopefully the devs will take something from BC add it to sto so it has a BC feeling while still being sto.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2012, 06:57 AM
DPS meters ....really?!?!?! To be honest, if you're not asking for a lockbox....you wont get it. This is it ...this is the most STO will ever be. The game could of been better than Bridge Commander...but we'll never see it. PWE is too busy giving us garbage like The Apr 13th mission and First Contact Day rubbish. We were suppose to get KDF revamp for content ...they pulled the plug on that...also that includes any hopes for a Romulan faction/playable race. We'll get a warbird , but only if it comes out of a lockbox. Remember the promise given to us about new STF's in season 6.....well those are gone now as well ....no sir this is it ...
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespha
DPS meters ....really?!?!?! To be honest, if you're not asking for a lockbox....you wont get it. This is it ...this is the most STO will ever be. The game could of been better than Bridge Commander...but we'll never see it. PWE is too busy giving us garbage like The Apr 13th mission and First Contact Day rubbish. We were suppose to get KDF revamp for content ...they pulled the plug on that...also that includes any hopes for a Romulan faction/playable race. We'll get a warbird , but only if it comes out of a lockbox. Remember the promise given to us about new STF's in season 6.....well those are gone now as well ....no sir this is it ...

Yea the Season 6 "reductions" to STF's have been more than a little disappointing to say the least and the incredibly harsh cuts to the season in general have rather destroyed what could have been the shot in the are the game sorely needed.
I do understand that with a limited development budget and even less time combined with the Perfect World mandate toward profit even at the cost of player base confidence but i cant understand how CBS a company with a notoriously tight grip on it's IP's is allowing the game to be pimped out with such disregard to those that are keeping it going.
There really is only so much players will tolerate even with such a beloved franchise as Star Trek and will only stick around for so long before the money grubbing nickle and dimeing pushes them too far.

As for the Lockboxes, on the whole i can tolerate it as a money making venture but never at the expense of real content such as STF's and Seasonal development but sadly it is clear that PWE as a company has decided STO as a whole is only going to live as a functional financial source by cutting development time and costs and focusing on instant cash development such as the lockboxes and the items therein.

As i said i get this, keeping people employed and covering overheads with a healthy profit margin while keeping Cryptic "focused" on the financial end goal rather than simple development of content for the game that is comparatively less fiscally viable with the future of game so potentially limited...

...yea...

...the future of the game is limited due to lack of development, so the company is attempting to get what it can while the franchise is viable, thus limiting the development that could increase the longevity of the game....*cough*....yea ok.

Why am i bring this up? well IF and i do mean IF we were able to fan development content that could be shown on for example a showcase on this forum specifically dedicated to foundry content based story lines or re imaginings of classic story's from the franchise.

After all who wouldn't want to have a shot at strapping into Cpt. Picard, Sisco, Janeway, Archer or even the legendary James T. Kirk's command chair to take on the various enemy's depicted in there related shows?

How about we see the whole darn universe from a different point of view and venture into the mirror universe through one of those honking big portals the Terrains keep leaving around?

None of this would take too much development time and the models and imagery is already in the game and ready to go.

If we stick within the confines of the franchise and within the realms of the foundry as a whole we could create enough content as a community to keep us going forever...

...all we need is a way to really showcase it properly and to a greater extent a way to access it quickly and easily within the game.

Final though:
So in effect to answer my OWN darn question as to what i really want?

* Easy Developed access to "advertised" foundry content in the same way as official missions.

* Long term content creators to gain a "director" status and the content moved to an advertised story archive so they can continue to develop content freely.

* Foundry Showcase area within the official forums.

* Foundry mission content to work the same way as "developed" content in terms of how we interact with it as players.

* Basic level appropriate "white" drops from "director level" foundry missions.

That's what we NEED if this game is going to continue, if we cannot be given content then by god we will make it ourselves.