Lt. Commander
# 1 Seeking fleet / players
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi guys

First off I'll introduce myself. I am Claivain - I'm a pretty new STO player, having signed up around 2 months ago. I play as a Federation Tactical Officer and recently reached level 50.

I am enjoying playing the game so far, and I like most aspects - PvP, PvE, Storyline Episodes etc. I am currently in a fleet, however it does not really fit what I am looking for from the game at the moment, although I have made some in game friends which I appreciate. With that in mind, I'd like to apply to join a fleet, and I'm looking for advice/invitations should any be forthcoming.

So far I've found that my most enjoyable moments have been whilst interacting with other players in a "role playing" style, mostly "in character". Ultimately I think I'd like a fleet which is role play centric, where members mostly communicate "in character." It doesn't have to be immensely detailed with highly thought out backgrounds and stories for each character - just a general air of immersion in the universe would suit me.

I really enjoy helping others out with missions, and have been called upon my members of my current fleet to help out when outnumbered in Ke'rrat etc, which I also found to be a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I am stuck working shifts and so I cannot commit to any kind of "regular" schedule for fleet events. Sometimes I have lots of time to play, others I rarely get online. I also am not fond of voice-chat in-game; for a roleplaying centric play style I prefer to simply use the in-game chat boxes. I dunno, I guess if I am forced to use TeamSpeak etc I feel as if it breaks the illusion and immersion for me.

My final thought is that I would not be overly fond of a fleet in which my character would be the "new recruit" or "junior officer". The New Guy is fair enough, but my character is a VA, and I would like to keep that element of independence and status - I don't want to be in charge of anyone, or have any responsibility within a fleet if you get my meaning. I just don't want to have to dismiss everything that my character has become so far during his brief existence.

With these points in mind, I was hoping that someone out there may be able to suggest a fleet for me, and let me know how to get in contact to apply. Failing that, if any of you know any individual players who fit the bill, tell them to get in touch!

Thank you for reading (I apologise for the length of the post, but felt each point was relevant to allow people to advise me suitably).

My thanks in advance for any advice that you may be able to provide.

Claivain.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Redacted.

Misread post.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
First off, I'd suggest you ask a moderator to move this thread over to the feddie recruiting area.

It sounds like you have the kind of fleet you want in mind already. I might point out a couple other things to look for:
  1. Timezones. You don't want to have to get up at 4am to meet up with people. Or maybe you do.
  2. Voice (vent/mumble/ingame). A lot of fleets will require members to communicate with a headset.
  3. Maturity level and content. Some roleplay fleets are all about picking up caitians at the local pub. You need to have a clear idea of what they have in mind before you jump. Ask about the average age of the members as well.
  4. Trial period? If you see a fleet you like, you might ask if you can tag along in an RP session to see if you get along with them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Nice post! Sorry I can't help at all.
Have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
First off, I'd suggest you ask a moderator to move this thread over to the feddie recruiting area.

It sounds like you have the kind of fleet you want in mind already. I might point out a couple other things to look for:
  1. Timezones. You don't want to have to get up at 4am to meet up with people. Or maybe you do.
  2. Voice (vent/mumble/ingame). A lot of fleets will require members to communicate with a headset.
  3. Maturity level and content. Some roleplay fleets are all about picking up caitians at the local pub. You need to have a clear idea of what they have in mind before you jump. Ask about the average age of the members as well.
  4. Trial period? If you see a fleet you like, you might ask if you can tag along in an RP session to see if you get along with them.
Excellent points, thank you.

Time zone: I'm playing from the UK, so GMT would be ideal. However, due to working shifts I am sometimes around at odd times and so it's not as much of a problem as it could otherwise be. Many players in my current fleet are from various parts of the world and I do still get to play with them a fair amount. That being said, the close to GMT the better really.

And oops, yeah sorry. Any moderators about who could move this for me?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Still haven't heard from anyone so far. Does anyone have any ideas? PvP and organised events are not really a necessity, I'm more interested in the social element (although the rest would be a nice bonus if I could get it all in one place).
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claivain
Does anyone have any ideas?
You need to get the thread moved. you have to report it to do so. in your first post, click on the yellowish triangle at the lower left and request the move.

That way others will see it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
You need to get the thread moved. you have to report it to do so. in your first post, click on the yellowish triangle at the lower left and request the move.

That way others will see it.
Done, thank you. Didn't realise that was they way to do it. Hopefully it will be moved soon.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
A much better place for this thread.

If you are over 30 years of age you might look at the TOS Veterans Fleet. We started this fleet when some of us older casual players were looking for a fleet with no bosses and no one telling us what to do because we all get that in our real life. We all have work/family/board meetings and other things that restrict our gamepalay but we all use STO as a relief from that part of our life.

We are a good mix of experienced players and newbies, casual and hardcore gamers and everything you want from a fleet. We have an active RP department that has really taken off over the last couple of months and they have all of the fancy drop-box ships you can RP in.

If you get a chance you can check out our website so that you can see more about what we are all about.
We do have a cadet period that we have set up for new recruits but it only restricts you bank access. I think that any Fleet that does not require this has been burn. Really we are just looking to get to know the person and the faster we do that the faster they become a full member.

Check us out at TOSFLEET.com
Mark (Aka James Bailey)
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey

If you are over 30 years of age you might look at the TOS Veterans Fleet. We started this fleet when some of us older casual players were looking for a fleet with no bosses and no one telling us what to do because we all get that in our real life. We all have work/family/board meetings and other things that restrict our gamepalay but we all use STO as a relief from that part of our life.

Check us out at TOSFLEET.com
Mark (Aka James Bailey)
Your fleet sounds perfect with one problem - I'm 25. Although the busy/stressful working life fits me perfectly...