Lt. Commander
I'm new So someone in DS9 zone chat was voicing his suspicions about someone elses life choices and preferences. This is a sadly common occurance. I'm not friendly to the intolerant crowd so I mention that if he continues I'd have no problem reporting him to a GM. Presto: I'm chat-banned a full day for being a spammer.

After no response on 2 seperate tickets after a few hours ingame or email I hit the forums. According to other posts it appears I'm to simply wait out the 24 hour ban and cross my fingers it doesn't happen anymore. I think it will be a waste of time to complain about customer service or rant and rave about ingame moderation being on autopilot so instead I have a couple of questions:

How can one abuse this "report spam" option so easily and is it as wide spread as I'm beginning to suspect?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Sorry, bud. This ain't only happening to you.

I am a lifer who passed the 800 day mark a few weeks back and yesterday I was banned from chat for 24 hours- first time for everything I suppose..but not exactly sure why.

I had inadvertantly typed in an incorrect healing macro twice in zone chat, before I realized the macro was was wrong. 20 seconds later, I received the notification that I was banned for 24 hours. WTF? Is that all it takes? A simple mistake- I wasn't even chatting with anyone!

If that is enough for someone to ban me from chat for 24 hours , then whatever criteria Cryptic has in place to do faciliate banning someone is not only horrendously flawed, but inherently unfair and ridiculously harsh, to say the least. Great job Cryptic.

If anyone can shed some light on this utter nonsense, please do, as I am the type of player who will just start reporting spam on every single vessel that comes near me in my frustrated-bitter-rage-state-of-mind.....
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
OP, don't bother telling people you will report them, just do it, or don't. That way you don't get in the situation you are in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I report people for spam every time I step onto DS9 and see the Gorn movie garbage writhing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
It is a good system, in my opinion, because otherwise we would have a lot more chaos, but there is some potential for non spammers and non griefers to get banned. If you are in a zone with hundreds of people and you anger even a small percentage of them and they put you on ignore, that may be enough to trigger the ban.

I do not think Cryptic has released the details, but it seems to be based on a certain number of people ignoring/reporting for spam in a certain period or typing the same message over and over again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-02-2012, 04:07 AM
This is a bad situation in no way the fault of, or unique to, STO. We live in a society where people think they have an inalienable right to never hear anything they don't want to hear or might disagree with and spend much of their time on the internet looking for things to take umbrage with.

Sadly, the honestly hateful, evil stuff goes unchallenged because, I firmly suspect, it comes from the very same people who think they have the right to censor everyone else. I used to post on Yahoo Answers a lot and finally quite entirely because there is a large right-wing christian contingent there that reports anything and everything they don't agree with as abuse and Yahoo, wanting to avoid dealing with them, just complies out of hand.

Welcome to the disinformation age...
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by ajstoner :

Quote:
This is a bad situation in no way the fault of, or unique to, STO. We live in a society where people think they have an inalienable right to never hear anything they don't want to hear or might disagree with and spend much of their time on the internet looking for things to take umbrage with.
Indeed. I think you hit the nail on the head here. There are very few, if any, open minded individuals left in this country. We are either polarized by political leanings, racial boundaries or religious/athiest debate. If you do not meet their specifc criteria for how to talk, act, live or breathe, you are fair game for whatever they can dish out to impugn, malign or silence what they do not want to hear or see, or most importantly, take some time to understand or be objective.

Land of the free and all...as long as no one's precious feelings are bruised or they are offended in any way.

Hey, I am far from perfect, but I always go out of my way to listen to someone's views and do not render judgement based on my own predjudices or opinions. At least not until I have heard all the facts! But even then I try my best to be respectful and not resort to name calling or elitism- I know I can be wrong sometimes and humility is an underated quality, IMO. Saying and thinking that you know everything is usually a fatal personality flaw, in and of itself, after all.

That being said, I also am probably one of the hardest people to offend. Simply put, there is nothing that anyone can say to me that either hasn't already been said, OR I realize how ridiculous thier assertions are and do not succumb to playing that game.

Speaking of playing, thats why we are all here. This is not a job, nor is it all that important in the grand scheme of the universe. To think or treat any aspect of STO differently is ludicrous, but it does go a long way in explaining the motivation of some players who invest way too much time in what amounts to a frivilous pursuit with very few redeeming qualities other than fun.

Too may uptight controil freaks spoil everyone's good times, so yes, this is indicative of the world we live in.

NOW BACK TO THE SHOW...................
I