Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Well it's not a Federation ship, so why would it look like one.[....]
Of course it is. It is just not from a human shipyard for a change.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
First of all, since I知 a huge Trek Geek, I値l set the record straight! Hell, in honor of the Vulcans I値l even use logical deduction.

The Caitian species are founding members of the United Federation of Planets. That makes them apart of the Federation. Their ships do indeed belong to the Caitian people, however, because the Caitian people also are in the Federation; their ships are Federation member race vessel.

Star Fleet, is the Fleet of the Federation. Star Fleet was formed first by Human and Vulcan collaboration. Now Star Fleet vessels are operated by most if not all Federation member races working together toward common goals. Star Fleet vessels are Federation opperated Vessels.

Therefore, a Caitian Carrier, while not belonging to Star Fleet, does belong to a member race of the Federation. Therefore, it is a Federation Vessel, but not a Star Fleet Federation Vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Except that since today, it is that, too.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
First of all, since I知 a huge Trek Geek, I値l set the record straight!
A Trek Geek, on a forum about a Trek MMO.... How unusual.

Quote:
Hell, in honor of the Vulcans I値l even use logical deduction.
Oh god, here we go....

Quote:
The Caitian species are founding members of the United Federation of Planets.
Caitians were not founding members of the federation. Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellerites.

Quote:
That makes them apart of the Federation. Their ships do indeed belong to the Caitian people, however, because the Caitian people also are in the Federation; their ships are Federation member race vessel.
Accurate

Quote:
Star Fleet, is the Fleet of the Federation. Star Fleet was formed first by Human and Vulcan collaboration. Now Star Fleet vessels are operated by most if not all Federation member races working together toward common goals. Star Fleet vessels are Federation opperated Vessels.
Yes and no. Starfleet is generally called the exploration and military arm of the Federation. While many ships are integrated, it has been show in some episodes (DS9: Take me out to the Holosuite) that some ships are operated specifically by single race crews. And yes, since starfleet is a federation operated all Starfleet Vessels are Federation vessels, but conversely all Federation vessels are not starfleet vessels.

Quote:
Therefore, a Caitian Carrier, while not belonging to Star Fleet, does belong to a member race of the Federation. Therefore, it is a Federation Vessel, but not a Star Fleet Federation Vessel.
Your conclusion is a bit of a leap, and overlooks one factor: The description of the Atrox specifically says that the vessels, while built by the Caitians, are in use by starfleet, and thus starfleet vessels.

That being said, the same logical fallacy mentioned earlier applies here, just because some Caitian Carriers are Starfleet vessels does not mean all Caitian Carriers are Starfleet vessels. I am a part of the camp that maintains that cannonically it is implied that most federation worlds maintain their own defense forces, outside of or in cooperation with starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
A Trek Geek, on a forum about a Trek MMO.... How unusual.

Oh god, here we go....

Caitians were not founding members of the federation. Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellerites.

Accurate

Yes and no. Starfleet is generally called the exploration and military arm of the Federation. While many ships are integrated, it has been show in some episodes (DS9: Take me out to the Holosuite) that some ships are operated specifically by single race crews. And yes, since starfleet is a federation operated all Starfleet Vessels are Federation vessels, but conversely all Federation vessels are not starfleet vessels.

Your conclusion is a bit of a leap, and overlooks one factor: The description of the Atrox specifically says that the vessels, while built by the Caitians, are in use by starfleet, and thus starfleet vessels.

That being said, the same logical fallacy mentioned earlier applies here, just because some Caitian Carriers are Starfleet vessels does not mean all Caitian Carriers are Starfleet vessels. I am a part of the camp that maintains that cannonically it is implied that most federation worlds maintain their own defense forces, outside of or in cooperation with starfleet.
To be fair I suspect that there are healthy number of players, who don't visit these boards, who haven't watched very much trek at all.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-03-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this carrier simply for the fact it has visible flight decks. It's even possible to see ships on the flight deck, waiting to be launched from the fly-through decks.

That's just awesome to me... one of the "small things" that says "hey, I'm a carrier"
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-03-2012, 06:51 AM
I like the ship. Looks like a Romulan Warbird had a baby with the Vasudan Hathshepsut destroyer from Freespace 2. Lost some of the Warbird's grace but got the more intimidating bow out of it. Probably wouldn't put it in the top tiers of good looking ships, but solidly the best looking carrier in the game. Sorry Klingons, but the Vo'quv and Kar'fi lack the grace of the cat carrier, and the Vod'leh is a flying brick.

My only reservation is how big a deal they made about the Oddy's size in its dev blog entries, and it's been dethroned in a matter of weeks. Though I suppose it had to be if Feds were going to get a carrier, it still seems like they oversold the "biggest ship in the fleet" line.