Lt. Commander
# 1 fed carrier build advice
05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
started my own thread as i did not want to hyjack the other thread , what needs changing in the below setup ? . any advice is welcome

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4061/carrier.png
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Honestly, four Torpedo Launchers? This thing does have a horrible turnrate....
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslanar
each torp has a damage of over 6000 , found it useful in stf's but i would like better lol . the shields are over 12000 but do not last long
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usscapital
each torp has a damage of over 6000 , found it useful in stf's but i would like better lol . the shields are over 12000 but do not last long
I guess for STFs that MIGHT be ok. But try not to use anything with a 90 degree firing ark.. it doesn't matter how powerful the torpedos are if you can't ever fire them. Post a pic of the BO Powers you have. Also, a few more field gens might help.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Yeah, nice SPIKE damage, but DPS is low!
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Im using the Borg set and run a beam boat configuration with my Engineer Captain.

The carrier is pretty much built as a science ship so try and play it as one.

Fore: Mk XI Antiproton purples X2 and one Tetryon Mk XI purple X 1
Aft: Same set up
It helps to have the right BOFF's as well.

So far PVE: I take NO damage as my shields seem to be up to the task and the fighters help pop ships fast.
STF's: So far so good, your shields will drop faster and you will take damage but again....with the right BOFF's and the right team to play with, its not much different than using a science ship or large cumbersome cruiser.
PVP: haven't done it yet.

Of course this is all just my opinion as so far its worked for me. I'm sure there are others that have a completely opposite suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBSneak
Im using the Borg set and run a beam boat configuration with my Engineer Captain.

The carrier is pretty much built as a science ship so try and play it as one.

Fore: Mk XI Antiproton purples X2 and one Tetryon Mk XI purple X 1
Aft: Same set up
It helps to have the right BOFF's as well.

So far PVE: I take NO damage as my shields seem to be up to the task and the fighters help pop ships fast.
STF's: So far so good, your shields will drop faster and you will take damage but again....with the right BOFF's and the right team to play with, its not much different than using a science ship or large cumbersome cruiser.
PVP: haven't done it yet.

Of course this is all just my opinion as so far its worked for me. I'm sure there are others that have a completely opposite suggestion.
using tach team 2 but it does not last long enough tbh
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
using tach team 2 but it does not last long enough tbh
Honestly, I expected Fed captains to have trouble with carriers, as the learning curve is the steepest of any ship in the game.

A carrier has two roles: tanking and support. You use different BOFF and DOFF setups to accomplish your roles. If you are tanking, you primarily need to keep your shields up, simple as that. A carrier doesn't turn well, so turning the other cheek, so to speak, isn't an option. What you do instead is use Tac Team x2 on your LT tac BOFF, and Rev Shield Polarity x2 on your LCDR Eng BOFF. Fill in with a couple of hull heals, like Eng Team, Aux to Structural and/or Haz Emmitters, and you are good to go.

As far as weapons go, I advise you to either go all beam, or all turret. I usually choose all beam, as I like to utulize Target Shields to help my fighters kill faster. As far as fighters, I personally load the hangars with one of the runabouts and one of the delta flyers. The runabouts slow the target down, and the delta flyers weaken the shields. Both have torps...that means your carrier doesn't need any, besides the device slot torp platforms I like to drop for big fights. Your goal as a carrier pilot is to keep your shields up and drop the target's shields ASAP.

For support, I like to have a mixture of CC and heals. For general PVE play I have a lot of offensive skills. This means I utilize a lot of BOFFS and DOFFS, so I bought extra slots for each.

GL.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslanar
My thoughts exactly.

I mean, if we had broadside Torpedo launchers them MAYBE that would be a good idea but as it stands you have 4 slots that are unlikely to even fire ONCE in battle.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm running 1 beam fore, 1 aft and 4 turrets. Equal arcs of fire in all directions and she's a beast while broadsiding.

Torp platforms absolutely and although I'm testing all the pets, I'm leaning towards Peregrines and Deltas at the moment. GW and TR for crowd control and you're good to go.