Lt. Commander
# 11
05-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Please. "Tiger's Claw". Done.

Just kidding, although I do have a special place in my heart for the TC.

Depending on where you look I did think that there were several ships named for non-human places, events, people in the ST universe. Obviously, the real reason they didn't make more was because the Enterprise or the Intrepid (which, IIRC was crewed entirely by Vulcans in TOS) twanged our emotional heart strings in a way that an Andorian name would not.

But, truly, the desire to give a Caitan ship a Caitan sounding name is all in the eye of the beholder anyway. A true Caitan name, would probably both be written in a non English font on the hull and potentially be unpronounceable with human vocal cords.

So in light of that. Tiger's Claw is starting to sound better all the time. :-)

Deacon
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Nyan Carrier?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Why is it that so many people just don't read... :p
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
[...]
But, truly, the desire to give a Caitan ship a Caitan sounding name is all in the eye of the beholder anyway. A true Caitan name, would probably both be written in a non English font on the hull and potentially be unpronounceable with human vocal cords.
[...]
Well, the latin alphabet seems to be the Federation Standard alphabet, so I guess it is normal to write the name on a Federation Starship that way. Besides, I don't see the Caitians having other vocal cords as other Precursor-sired species?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Ah, one thing that certainly fits, though, is ship names that are concepts or attributes, such as "Reslute", "Invincible", etc.

Possibly the words for these things in the main Caitian language... or in less dominant Caitian languages.

Edit: Mine will be the USS Tolerance. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Hmm, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff from USS NyanNyan, Hello Kitty, etc...

I was kind of partial to USS Kitty Hawk (hey, it's a real carrier now), and Cath Palug... Though when I start using creative names, people start talking to me in other languages.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Caitian Carrier names....well, if your a fan of Sherlock Holmes...there's always U.S.S. Meowiarty...(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) but you get the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, the latin alphabet seems to be the Federation Standard alphabet, so I guess it is normal to write the name on a Federation Starship that way. Besides, I don't see the Caitians having other vocal cords as other Precursor-sired species?
True, but I suppose that the question is whether these ships are Starfleet, like the way ships built in different cities still belong to the same navy, or are these ships member state ships like NATO? The latter seems more logical as Starfleet ships are made by other races like the Andorians [not sure whether that's hard canon or soft] but are standard SF designs while the Vulcan Vessel or the Caitan carrier seem very much race unique.

The vocal cord comment was really just a jab at the fact that these things have quite obvious cat heads, but speak perfect English and also a nod to Spock, who once said his first name was unpronounceable.

But I think you have a good point there about ship names in general. The long standing convention in Trek fiction has generally given race appropriate, but very much human translated, names to Klingon and Romulan ships. There is no reason you couldn't do the same with the Caitans.

The trick I would suspect is to capture from the lore the essential nature of what the Caitans are about.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
My initial thought was USS Spot, named after Data's cat. Another favorite of mine is USS Soft Kitty.

As for serious names I have thought of USS Sphinx and USS Sekhmet, but I have not settled on one that I like a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
USS Litterbox
USS Spam Spam Spam