Lt. Commander
# 1 Shuttles in Foundry missions?
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm curious if any Foundry authors have mandated shuttle use in their Foundry missions?

I realize placing limitations on game play (with specific role play, like EV suits, shuttles) is more experimental than standard. But have any Foundry authors taken the leap of faith to try this?

(Yes, I'm working on a new article for StarbaseUGC.com. Those requiring shuttles for their missions could be spotlighted in the article. More eyeballs on the article, more possibilities of players trying your mission...)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
My mission "AJS: Hostage Situation" is a shuttle-based mission. You can't actually force the player to use a shuttle but the first Line in the description indicates that the use of a shuttle is intended. Hasn't gotten much play yet but the responses I gotten so far have been pretty good. I am curious if there are others out there myself as I am quite fond of using my runabout.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I plan on making a KDF shuttle mission. It's going to involve a fight with a properly-scaled Galaxy class cruiser (using the giant Galaxy asset).
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I've decided to step away from publishing duties on StarbaseUGC.com.

I encourage you to continue sharing your shuttle mission authoring work, even pull together an article for the site! Inspire others!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
I forced it by using a series of the asteroid '0' shape as a long tunnel only a shuttle fits through to access main mission area.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
What's your mission, DeRavi?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
I plan on making a KDF shuttle mission. It's going to involve a fight with a properly-scaled Galaxy class cruiser (using the giant Galaxy asset).
There's a giant Galaxy asset??
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
There's a giant Galaxy asset??
Yes. Search "Galaxy" in NPC contacts; it's the one where you can't see the port nacelle in the preview. That sucker's twice the size of a Borg Cube. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Yes. Search "Galaxy" in NPC contacts; it's the one where you can't see the port nacelle in the preview. That sucker's twice the size of a Borg Cube. :p
Egads! So it's an NPC contact, and not an object? I ask because I've been experimenting with rock-locking things disguised as Nausicaan syphon pods (very small, very regular shape) with mixed success as stationary defence points. So far, I've got a point defence system for a starbase sorted, but trying to arm one of the "massive" ships appropriately has failed, since they seem to always escape.

I think if I could find a small enough non-ship object to hide inside a stationary NPC, it could make stuff like the generic dreadnaught, or your uber Galaxy, suitably fearsome opponents. So far, the smallest asteroids are too small, and the next size up too big...

I tried invisible walls too, but that rendered them unable to shoot. It solved another problem of how to get an enemy NPC to "not shoot" until it's supposed to however by having it encased until it's your "objective", but having the *real* kill objective much earlier and disguised as something else in the list and having it's cage come down with a "red alert" interaction with an invisible object.

I'm going to be trying a couple of other things at some point, I'm determined to make it work. If you figure it out, please let me know, I'd kill for genuine static defences.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-30-2012, 03:53 AM
The relatively short, but very enjoyable, 'Reap the Whirlwind' foundry mission is a shuttle-centric mission. You CAN use a Starship, but it was designed with shuttles in mind.