Lt. Commander
# 11
05-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Matt Firor is in charge, and he was part of **** so I'm happy. **** was, and still is, a great game.
Lt. Commander
In the June issue of Game Informer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ls-online.aspx

The Elder Scrolls Online is Revealed on the cover. This to me is a big big WoW! I love my scifi, but at the sametime I love the sword and magic fantasy too. So I don't know about you guys, this will be on my wish list for next year. Oh that's right it's reported for a 2012 release!
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-04-2012, 05:37 AM
you mean 2013

i am very much looking forward to it, but i hope they have been working on it for sometime. 2013 sounds pretty early for a game of that magnitude. i certainly dont want a rushed game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
oops your right 2013 hehe. I have 2012 on the brain for some reason. But I was reading they have been working on the MMO side for sometime, and they feel it's finally ready for a 2013 release. So I don't think it was something they just started like last year, maybe it's been worked on for over 5 years, and they finally have the graphics model they want to use for it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
you mean 2013

i am very much looking forward to it, but i hope they have been working on it for sometime. 2013 sounds pretty early for a game of that magnitude. i certainly dont want a rushed game.
Well, what was hinted a while back, they're recycling at least some the base environment (minus buildings and NPCs, which are being rebuilt to reflect the much earlier setting), which takes a HUGE chunk out of the scope since Bethesda's been sitting on the terrain of the entire continent for over a decade, despite how little of it has actually been used in the modern games.

A new combat system can't be bad - TES's weakness has always been the combat system. However it's highly unlikely they'll keep the character system, which is unbalanced with a capital unbalanced, specifically meant to allow the development of veritable man-gods that shake the earth and knock dragons out of the sky with their manhood. They might be ready to shed the whole idea of defined classes, but I don't see any MMO being ready for the implications of wholly unrestricted character advancement.

From the first reveal they're using the Hero engine. TOR uses a heavily modified version of it, but otherwise the games it's used on don't speak well for it.

All I have to say, Bethesda/Zenimax's QA combines with the hero engine's reputation in ways that are hilarious and terrifying. Imagine a 20 man epic raid against one of the Daedera Princes. Four hours in, raid reset is tomorrow, you think you finally have the final boss figured out... And the tank gets his head stuck in the ceiling, forcing you to scrub the whole week's work.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i certainly dont want a rushed game.
Bethesda has had 5 major releases in about 18 years. I can't see them rushing anything.

At least I hope not.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
Bethesda has had 5 major releases in about 18 years. I can't see them rushing anything.

At least I hope not.
Except this isn't Bethesda. Judging by the MMO related job postings Zenimax has been making (none of which are for Bethesda) they passed this one off to another company owned by Zenimax and will most likely slap the Bethesda name on it at the end like they do with all their non-Bethesda releases. And Zenimax as a whole doesn't share Bethesda's glacial release schedule. When they picked up the Star Trek license they put out games on every system in sight and even threw them on a couple of the previous generation systems for good measure and wrapped it all up before the renewal deadline.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
here's the teaser trailer, if anyone wants a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0ItOrSW3s
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Some facts:
1) This is not developed by Bethesda Softworks. It's being developed by Zenimax Online Studios, a sister-company.
2) This game will use a standard hotbar system like RIFT/WOW etc.
3) This game will be third person perspective.
4) This has been in development since 2007.
In short, I'd wait and see but I was really hoping they do something similar to Darkfall, which is a first-person, action-oriented game.

It's a shame that they felt the need to copy WOW.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm sure the game will be fine as long as you don't take an arrow in the knee...