Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Are the Devs just lazy or...
05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Are the Devs just lazy or are they overworked to get thing out in unreasonable timeframes? Most of the Fed ships that you don't have to pay for (maybe all?) have 3 different layouts which can be mixed and matched. There are even 6 different Fed Ship Costumes (which add more pieces). But it seems none of the new ships (and no KDF without buying from the C-Store, and even then the differences seem limited) have alternate layouts. I understand the ones from the boxes not having alternate designs but the others, particularly KDF, need the ability for customization (particularly since that is supposedly one of the things Cryptic prides themselves in). And no interiors other than bridges for the box ships, Really? The only options I can think of for this are that the Devs are just too lazy to add it, or there aren't enough of them to give decent content at the rate they are expected to. I'd like to know which it is and if there are plans to remedy the situation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Are the Devs just lazy or are they overworked to get thing out in unreasonable timeframes? Most of the Fed ships that you don't have to pay for (maybe all?) have 3 different layouts which can be mixed and matched. There are even 6 different Fed Ship Costumes (which add more pieces). But it seems none of the new ships (and no KDF without buying from the C-Store, and even then the differences seem limited) have alternate layouts. I understand the ones from the boxes not having alternate designs but the others, particularly KDF, need the ability for customization (particularly since that is supposedly one of the things Cryptic prides themselves in). And no interiors other than bridges for the box ships, Really? The only options I can think of for this are that the Devs are just too lazy to add it, or there aren't enough of them to give decent content at the rate they are expected to. I'd like to know which it is and if there are plans to remedy the situation.
I really don't see a need for anything other than a bridge on these box ships. Granted, the D'Kora bridge makes me feel like I'm in a shuttle, but everything I need is right there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
You make designing entire ship interiors sound like the easiest thing in the world. Here, let me whip one up in MSPaint and through it into the HOGGs :p

In all seriousness, mot of the interior assets are borrowed from assets that were developed before interiors even existed. If you wanted to wait months for a box ship to be released because a fully-formed interior was available, you could if you wanted to, I guess.

BTW OP, kudos on calling devs lazy. It's on of the most clichéd insults in an MMO. I'm sure they'll be ready and willing to read your thread, yet alone reply to it

Edit: ironically, I didn't have this listed in my rules, thanks for helping me correct this glaring oversight, since this isn't the first hoedown in which I've seen devs being called out for laziness.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post

BTW OP, kudos on calling devs lazy. It's on of the most clichéd insults in an MMO. I'm sure they'll be ready and willing to read your thread, yet alone reply to it
Why not? They usually read and respond to the illegitimate stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
I really don't see a need for anything other than a bridge on these box ships. Granted, the D'Kora bridge makes me feel like I'm in a shuttle, but everything I need is right there.
Yes, everything you need is right there BECAUSE there isn't anywhere else for it to be. If NO ships had anything other than a tiny bridge they would all have a little console to access everything from. That is my point, were they just lazy and decide it is easier to make a tiny little room and cram everything into a console (or a console and crammed room in the case of the D'Kora) or did they just not have time to make a real interior? The size of the D'Kora and Galor at least means they should at least have the option to have more interior than a Defiant (and considerably more than a shuttle).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Yes, everything you need is right there BECAUSE there isn't anywhere else for it to be. If NO ships had anything other than a tiny bridge they would all have a little console to access everything from. That is my point, were they just lazy and decide it is easier to make a tiny little room and cram everything into a console (or a console and crammed room in the case of the D'Kora) or did they just not have time to make a real interior? The size of the D'Kora and Galor at least means they should at least have the option to have more interior than a Defiant (and considerably more than a shuttle).
Right, but honestly I'd rather have everything right there than have to run around the ship to get to something.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
Why not? They usually read and respond to the illegitimate stuff.
Because it's better than responding to threads that start with loaded questions or forgone conclusions. It would be like walking into a jet intake - just not smart.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Right, but honestly I'd rather have everything right there than have to run around the ship to get to something.
It's one reason they added the Depertment Head tab on the DOff system. I'm in a starship - unless I physically need to get an object or otherwise interact with an officer, there's a comm system in the 25th century.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
...

Edit: ironically, I didn't have this listed in my rules, thanks for helping me correct this glaring oversight, since this isn't the first hoedown in which I've seen devs being called out for laziness.
I like your listed rules.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
BTW OP, kudos on calling devs lazy. It's on of the most clichéd insults in an MMO. I'm sure they'll be ready and willing to read your thread, yet alone reply to it
Why? Because they are Gods and therefore are incapable of being lazy? Do note, if you would take time away from being the "Lead Fanboy for Cryptic", that I did give another option other than laziness (one that you mention in your little Forum Rules BS page about calling devs lazy no less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
You make designing entire ship interiors sound like the easiest thing in the world. Here, let me whip one up in MSPaint and through it into the HOGGs
Nope but there is this little thing called the Foundary... Again, going back to my Original Post, is their schedule too crunched to give us a "complete" item?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
In all seriousness, mot of the interior assets are borrowed from assets that were developed before interiors even existed. If you wanted to wait months for a box ship to be released because a fully-formed interior was available, you could if you wanted to, I guess.
Honestly I'd prefer that to this new Grab Bag Gambling system every month (but I suppose you will say "They have to make money somehow" so I'll cut you off early and say if they created decent things that people would actually want to buy (DOFF Cadre Packs seem to be a good example of that) they wouldn't have to resort to this Gambling gimmick).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.