Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Given the current lack of any content with ship interiors, and since we can hail 90% of our DHs from the menu, I'd rather just have ALL my ships with an internal console tbqh...

IF we could totally customize our ship interiors like our houses in SWG, It might be something different.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Honstly, I'm a bit GLAD that they're moving away from the kitbash mentality. This has been my biggest gripe with fan-made -- and even some 'canon' (I'm glaring at you, Frankenstein Fleet) -- ship designs: Mixing and matching pieces and parts should not be possible. Form follows function; a starship is designed and built as a holistic unit, not as a set of pieces that you can shuffle around and use in different combinations. While I loves me some Franz Josef Tech Manual, the scout/destroyer and tug designs did more harm to Trek starship design than the Avenger/Miranda-class. Grrr, argh, gnash teeth!

tl;dr: The lack of variations on things like the D'kyr and the Atrox doesn't bother me, really.

I'm still unsure as to if I want to get it. I have enough from my stipend, but the principle of the thing weighs on me. Oh, well. It's no going anywhere, and I have plenty of time to ponder this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Why? Because they are Gods and therefore are incapable of being lazy? Do note, if you would take time away from being the "Lead Fanboy for Cryptic", that I did give another option other than laziness (one that you mention in your little Forum Rules BS page about calling devs lazy no less).
Oh, a fanboy. Zounds, you got me there. Well played. Goodness knows that I never have any criticism about any decisions that Cryptic has made, and I buy a Master Key for every Lockbox I find. Heck, I buy extra Lockboxes so I can buy more keys :p

Quote:
Nope but there is this little thing called the Foundary... Again, going back to my Original Post, is their schedule too crunched to give us a "complete" item?
Honestly? Probably. I'm sure fleet starbase systems don't will themselves into existence, nor all the other ships on the schedule due to be released with Season 6. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to say that the devs may indeed have very full plates. But what do I know, I'm just some random guy making educated guesses based on information already floating on the forums and in various press interviews.

Quote:
Honestly I'd prefer that to this new Grab Bag Gambling system every month (but I suppose you will say "They have to make money somehow" so I'll cut you off early and say if they created decent things that people would actually want to buy (DOFF Cadre Packs seem to be a good example of that) they wouldn't have to resort to this Gambling gimmick).
Actually, what surprises me more is how players complain about the gimmicks used to create revenue, and then still decide to support the game by spending money on it.

But back to this topic: a ship is a tool. It provides combat benefits and a mode of transportation. I remember when ships had zero interiors besides the bridge, and even then bridges had zero functionality. Anything beyond that, in my own personal opinion, is a benefit. I'm also certain that the ship interior is not a huge draw for purchasing the ship, and because of the resources involved in creating interiors, not a huge priority.

Would I like an interior? Sure. Would be nice to see how Caitians do things. But it won't make my fighters perform any better, or get me to Beta Ursa faster
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I think they can't provide an entirely new ship with several variants within the timeframe desirable for a C-Store release. AT least not yet. But it's really a weakness of these ships, especially considering that Cryptic says that Customization is one of their trademarks.

It is time we get some more ship variants for existing ships. (I still figure that a new variant is more expensive than a single ship, since it has tor retain compatibility with the existing variants - but it's less than 3 variants for an entirely new ship in one go).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't say lazy because I suspect the reasons for the slap-dash aspects are due to not enough staff rather than the current ones being lazy.

Annoying graphics issues are my personal hate such as a panel on the Odyssey that looks bent out of shape. Worse than this is no shield that changes the look of the ship affects the Vulcan ships inner wheel. So when the ship is a greeny black that remains brown and looks stupid. (The same issue was on the 4 nacelled ships but I haven't flown one for ages).

There are just so many things that seem unfinished or poorly made. There are enough positives to balance it out for now but I wish more time could be spent on tidying the game up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Are the Devs just lazy or are they overworked to get thing out in unreasonable timeframes? Most of the Fed ships that you don't have to pay for (maybe all?) have 3 different layouts which can be mixed and matched. There are even 6 different Fed Ship Costumes (which add more pieces). But it seems none of the new ships (and no KDF without buying from the C-Store, and even then the differences seem limited) have alternate layouts. I understand the ones from the boxes not having alternate designs but the others, particularly KDF, need the ability for customization (particularly since that is supposedly one of the things Cryptic prides themselves in). And no interiors other than bridges for the box ships, Really? The only options I can think of for this are that the Devs are just too lazy to add it, or there aren't enough of them to give decent content at the rate they are expected to. I'd like to know which it is and if there are plans to remedy the situation.
It does make one wonder. The 2000 Cryptic point ship should have came with new interiors (bridge and lower decks) just because of the cost. It really was irritating to see instead of putting a room and a elevator to the door on the left of the new Oddyssey bridge they jut threw an elevator there. From the exterior view you can tell that just does not match up on how it should be layed-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Yes, everything you need is right there BECAUSE there isn't anywhere else for it to be. If NO ships had anything other than a tiny bridge they would all have a little console to access everything from. That is my point, were they just lazy and decide it is easier to make a tiny little room and cram everything into a console (or a console and crammed room in the case of the D'Kora) or did they just not have time to make a real interior? The size of the D'Kora and Galor at least means they should at least have the option to have more interior than a Defiant (and considerably more than a shuttle).
I have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Why? Because they are Gods and therefore are incapable of being lazy? Do note, if you would take time away from being the "Lead Fanboy for Cryptic", that I did give another option other than laziness (one that you mention in your little Forum Rules BS page about calling devs lazy no less).


Nope but there is this little thing called the Foundary... Again, going back to my Original Post, is their schedule too crunched to give us a "complete" item?


Honestly I'd prefer that to this new Grab Bag Gambling system every month (but I suppose you will say "They have to make money somehow" so I'll cut you off early and say if they created decent things that people would actually want to buy (DOFF Cadre Packs seem to be a good example of that) they wouldn't have to resort to this Gambling gimmick).
I think you have a point. If they did create stuff that people wanted to buy and well and actually using micro transaction then they would not have to you gambling as a way to bring in money.


I do think it is a management issue, but it does make the Devs look bad. The interiors of the C-Store ships do need to be address along content added to each level before they even thinking of even raising the level cap. They also need to complete the Klingon faction already.

I am beginning to think BranFlakes is lazy based on his comments lately and the fact that the calender was removed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Honstly, I'm a bit GLAD that they're moving away from the kitbash mentality. This has been my biggest gripe with fan-made -- and even some 'canon' (I'm glaring at you, Frankenstein Fleet) -- ship designs: Mixing and matching pieces and parts should not be possible. Form follows function; a starship is designed and built as a holistic unit, not as a set of pieces that you can shuffle around and use in different combinations. While I loves me some Franz Josef Tech Manual, the scout/destroyer and tug designs did more harm to Trek starship design than the Avenger/Miranda-class. Grrr, argh, gnash teeth!

tl;dr: The lack of variations on things like the D'kyr and the Atrox doesn't bother me, really.

I'm still unsure as to if I want to get it. I have enough from my stipend, but the principle of the thing weighs on me. Oh, well. It's no going anywhere, and I have plenty of time to ponder this.
If you go back to the old design docs for Star Trek, Matt Jeffries envisioned Trek as being a universe where people DO kitbash ships and the shape of the 1701 was designed around that idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll just say this op: you are probably placing the blame on the people who have the least amount of control over the schedule. Developers tackle the schedule delivered to them by the lead developers. If anything, this would be more of a question for (honestly) Dan Stahl or the higher-ups than the guys in the trenches putting the stuff in-game.

And it's honestly not a question of laziness, rather than player demand and priority. However, if you can convince them, in a civil fashion, that this is a feature worth pursuit, it might help to increase the priority. But slinging insults (ie: calling people lazy) at the people you're trying to sway to your point of view is probably the worst way in which to accomplish this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Are the Devs just lazy or are they overworked to get thing out in unreasonable timeframes? Most of the Fed ships that you don't have to pay for (maybe all?) have 3 different layouts which can be mixed and matched. There are even 6 different Fed Ship Costumes (which add more pieces). But it seems none of the new ships (and no KDF without buying from the C-Store, and even then the differences seem limited) have alternate layouts. I understand the ones from the boxes not having alternate designs but the others, particularly KDF, need the ability for customization (particularly since that is supposedly one of the things Cryptic prides themselves in). And no interiors other than bridges for the box ships, Really? The only options I can think of for this are that the Devs are just too lazy to add it, or there aren't enough of them to give decent content at the rate they are expected to. I'd like to know which it is and if there are plans to remedy the situation.
You obviously have no idea of the amount of work these guys do. With a comment like yours I think it is safe to say any developer including myself probably works far harder than you. I've yet to meet a developer who does not have a serious understanding and respect for people who work because our life goes into our work.

You must think they just need to sketch a picture of some content, scan it then a few hours later its ready to release :p

I recommend educating yourself, go read about the time it takes just to have a meeting about developing something never mind the time it takes to create it, test it, create promotional content and then finally launch the content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
I'll just say this op: you are probably placing the blame on the people who have the least amount of control over the schedule. Developers tackle the schedule delivered to them by the lead developers. If anything, this would be more of a question for (honestly) Dan Stahl or the higher-ups than the guys in the trenches putting the stuff in-game.

And it's honestly not a question of laziness, rather than player demand and priority. However, if you can convince them, in a civil fashion, that this is a feature worth pursuit, it might help to increase the priority. But slinging insults (ie: calling people lazy) at the people you're trying to sway to your point of view is probably the worst way in which to accomplish this.
I think that is being too polite.

I don't like everything happening in the game right now but one thing I know is the entire strategy comes from the top, not the guys this post is directed at and no one needs to tip toe around this player. Stahl should be in here himself telling this player to go play Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica, see how happy he is then.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM.