Lt. Commander
This is from Gamespot...

Cryptic Developers take note...

Klingon vs Starfleet popularity according to Google (busting Cryptic/PWE/CBS BS)

Cryptic's Dan Stahl refers to a lack of popularity for Klingons as an excuse not to develop content for the faction. Cryptic also refers to PWE and CBS as coming to the same conclusion.

The following puts their claims to shame with cold hard numbers (as of May, 2012):

"Starfleet" on Google: 5,350,000 results

"Klingon" on Google: 56,100,000 results !!!

Keep in mind that you could never start a Klingon character in this game fresh from level 1. You had to "unlock" it by playing on Starfleet first (yuck!). This is how it was sold to their customers -- on a false promise.

Proof: The History of the Klingon Empire with Cryptic Studios

Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content." (August, 2008)

Google search for a phrase "content drought" shows STO related article about the lack of content as a first result, despite the words in the phrase not being unique to STO.

It's more than that. Starfleet is only used to refer to that one arm, and is generally only going to only return results for that.

Converse "Klingon" will return results for the likes of:

A species.
A language.
The Klingon Empire.
The Klingon Defence Force.
Klingon Starships.
Klingon Culture.
Klingon Bat'leth.
Klingon to English Dictionaries.

etc.

Basically for just about anything Klingon you end up with that word in the results. The same doesn't hold true when you search Starfleet things though. You can see the difference in the broadness of the searches just through the auto-complete drop down.

http://www.gamespot.com/star-trek-on...s-bs-29153858/
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
This is from Gamespot...

Cryptic Developers take note...

Klingon vs Starfleet popularity according to Google (busting Cryptic/PWE/CBS BS)

Cryptic's Dan Stahl refers to a lack of popularity for Klingons as an excuse not to develop content for the faction. Cryptic also refers to PWE and CBS as coming to the same conclusion.

The following puts their claims to shame with cold hard numbers (as of May, 2012):

Keep in mind that you could never start a Klingon character in this game fresh from level 1. You had to "unlock" it by playing on Starfleet first (yuck!). This is how it was sold to their customers -- on a false promise.

Proof: The History of the Klingon Empire with Cryptic Studios

Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content." (August, 2008)

I would have posted this on the official forums but I don't play this scam. Still, I'd like to warn potential customers about it before they waste their money on its Cash Shop, which, by the way, existed since release.

Bonus Google search for a phrase "content drought" shows STO related article about the lack of content as a first result, despite the words in the phrase not being unique to STO.

Also, looking at the forum activity here, it doesn't look like the game is doing well at all.
http://www.gamespot.com/star-trek-on...s-bs-29153858/
Jesus could come back tomorrow and tell Cryptic that the KDF needs a fair development treatment and they would call Him a liar...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I Googled it so it must be true ...

Love this...
"I would have posted this on the official forums but I don't play"

Google "Star Trek" and it take quite a while to find some Klingon content (pages and images).
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I think Klingons need more content. But this is hardly conclusive. "Starfleet" is generally assumed when talking about Star Trek. I'd venture that most episodes that feature Starfleet don't even use the term anywhere in the dialogue.

"Klingon Defense Force" only returns 80,100 results.

"United Federation of Planets" returns 494,000.

It's been stated multiple times that Jack's pre-launch statements:

A) Were not promises.
B) Are null and void.

I think more KDF content needs to happen. I think more content needs to happen.

But we have to use the right arguments to get there. How many times cherry picked words get used on the internet don't serve the cause.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

"Klingon Defense Force" only returns 80,100 results.

"United Federation of Planets" returns 494,000.

It's been stated multiple times that Jack's pre-launch statements:

A) Were not promises.
B) Are null and void.

Its does not matter. If you keep repeating it over and over eventually people will take it for granted. The bigger the lie the easier it is to get people to believe it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Interesting, when i ran a Google serach:
Starfleet About 1,230,000 results
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I did a couple of google searches myself:

Starfleet Fans - About 1,860,000 results
Klingon Fans - About 13,300,000 results

UFP Player - About 415,000 results
KDF Player - About 1,420,000 results
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm all for Cryptic making good on their prior statements and fully developing the KDF as they have mentioned many many times. And I do not believe the "chicken and egg scenario" exists. What does exist is a business that is not willing to take the financial hit to develop part of its product, and thereby getting a return on investment after that product is made and sold to the public.

Quote:

But let's be honest here...

"Klingon" is a language where "Starfleet" is not. Of course there are going to be many more Google Searches for "Klingon" because people are looking for translations, dictionaries, fonts, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master

But let's be honest here...

"Klingon" is a language where "Starfleet" is not. Of course there are going to be many more Google Searches for "Klingon" because people are looking for translations, dictionaries, fonts, etc.
That is a large part of the argument behind how popular they really are.

Romulans have those entries too.

Might be interesting to compare Romulan entries with Klingon entires.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
That is a large part of the argument behind how popular they really are.

Romulans have those entries too.

Might be interesting to compare Romulan entries with Klingon entires.
I think both Klingons and Romulans deserve full development. Cryptic can get a ROI in the form of selling Expansion Packs.

But nevermind. Some mod moved the thread to 10 Forward. This is about Star Trek Online and them not fully developing their product. But they would rather hide this is another section of the forums to avoid the subject.