Lt. Commander
# 1 Old is the New "New"
05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Just a Question ,is there a way or an upcoming way to LVL your ship ?

Ive got rather attached to the USS Mary Rose (My Olympic Class Ship) And I dont really want to trade up to the next ship, but obviously I need the console bridge officer upgrades.

Any way .. Would be nice if you could "keep" a ship so it lvls with you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-03-2012, 04:55 PM
This would be a very nice feature as well - I've always been partial to the Intrepid-class from an aesthetics standpoint, yet prefer the Odyssey's BOff stations / weapon slots. I know of a few people who have grown attached to particular classes, yet are forced to upgrade to other classes just to stay competitive (player skills can only help one so much).

Of course, there are naysayers in the community who consider such notions as overpowered.

The way I see it, there are three different ways this could be achieved:
  • The first one could involve purchasable, permanent holoemitter "disguises" that make your ship appear to be of the desired class, but retain the exact same name and stats as what you actually fly. This could make for some interesting operational feints for confusing PvP opponents, although break immersion from an RP perspective.

• The second one could involve C-store or dilithium purchases to reconfigure the BOff stations / weapon slots up to a total maximum of 12 BOff powers / 4 fore and 4 aft respectively.

Using the vanilla Intrepid-class as an example, it has the following BOff stations:
    Lt Tac (2) - Lt Eng (2) - Cmdr Sci (4) - Lt Sci (2)
    After selling / buying BOff stations, the new layout becomes:
    Cmdr Tac (4) - Lt Tac (2) - Lt Cmdr Eng (3) - Lt Cmdr Sci (3)
    Note that there is no option to increase the hull strength or crew count - the Intrepid class can only be so big and hold so many people. This should mitigate the concerns some players may have of overpowered lower-tiered ships.

• The final method involves simply releasing for each ship retrofits geared for different career paths.

For instance, the Intrepid current has the Bellerophon retrofit version, which is geared towards Science players. Cryptic could in theory offer Intrepid Tactical and Intrepid Engineering retrofit as well, via the C-store (although this may be seen by many in the STO community as yet another cash grab)

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2012, 05:28 AM
ah so you are the one flying the goldfish bowl....
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteguy904
ah so you are the one flying the goldfish bowl....
Yep that's me ... A little ferengi in a goldfish bowl

The option I'm suggesting would make fleets look better as well due to more variety as opposed to everyone with the same ship / build
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrelli
Just a Question ,is there a way or an upcoming way to LVL your ship ?

Ive got rather attached to the USS Mary Rose (My Olympic Class Ship) And I dont really want to trade up to the next ship, but obviously I need the console bridge officer upgrades.

Any way .. Would be nice if you could "keep" a ship so it lvls with you.
Well, technically you can keep it. but it won't "grow" with you.

you're probably the trillionths STO player that asks for something like this. And it still hasn't changed being a good idea that I would very much like to see. But ... The best we got so far where a few retrofits that ugpraded the level of ships to Tier 5. But nothing universal.