Lt. Commander
# 1 KDF/UFP Cold War ? ?
05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Cryptic Developers have indicated that the KDF Faction is not active enough to deserve much or any additional work to be done to the faction. One Poll indicates 34% of users would like to play Federation, 33% Romulan, and only 13% KDF. These numbers were taken from only a few users and its accuracy for the entire STO community would need to be adjusted but most likely not by much, but also could be completely off the mark and if the KDF had more content I am sure more users would be interested in the KDF faction.

Even though I do not spend any time on my KDF characters due to of lack of content, I do see the added benefit in having multiple active factions. So saying this I believe a peace treaty between the UFP and the KDF will help the activity on the KDF faction and in turn STO.

Even though it would be a peace treaty between the factions just like the series it would be a love hate relationship or a cold war status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google.com
Cold War = A state of political hostility between countries characterized by threats, propaganda, and other measures short of open warfare.
Any current missions that involve attacking the other faction would still be playable due to the now cold war status, but a peace treaty would also open the other factions missions to be playable by both factions. Some adjusting to the missions and exceptions would need to be made. Federation missions that attack the KDF will not be shared with the KDF and vice versa. This would open a lot of missions to the KDF and many to the Federation. Very little adjustments to the missions would need to be made mostly slight dialogue changes.

I believe doing this would increase the activity on both sides and believe Cryptic should really look into doing this. Currently in STO the KDF and UFP are basically already in a cold war status, sharing STF missions, opening the borders, and so on. So why not just make it official and move alway from open warfare to cold war status and share the love I mean missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJayMor View Post

Even though it would be a peace treaty between the factions just like the series it would be a love hate relationship or a cold war status. Any current missions that involve attacking the other faction would still be playable due to the now cold war status, but a peace treaty would also open the other factions missions to be playable by both factions. Some adjusting to the missions and exceptions would need to be made.
Here in lies the issue.
The adjustment to the existing Fed only missions to allow us KDF the ablity to play them would mean many of those missions would need a complete rewrite just for the KDF toon perspective.

If such measures are to be taken to make said change, then such measures could just as easily develop new mission exclusively for the KDF faction and solve the whole issue to a better satisfaction of the KDF fan.

Why take the effort to rewrite the dialouge and portions of 20-30 missions to fit the KDF player intot he event than just create 2-30 simple missions for the KDF over a period of time till the faction is complete and can be left, finally, to just be enjoyed with storyline to match?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Have to agree with Roach there. Also a great deal of the background story that has already been established would become nonsensical and require a huge amount of reworking. The KDF should just get more content, though I agree more people would likely be interested if there was some meat on the KDF side and that how these polls were worded would have a major effect on the answers they got and I haven't seen them myself.

I, personally, wouldn't play a Klingon anyway as the hybrid Gene Simmons impersonator/transvestite look isn't my thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I spend about 1/3rd of my time on my KDF characters If romulans were here they would get maybe 1/5th
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
If the KDF actually got some content I would spend 95% of my time there, But if the Romulan faction ever came out 100% of my time would be spent there, even with the same amount of content the KDF faction has now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Considering you need to do 25 levels just to get to the Klingon side, is it any wonder people don't go awesome, now to start over from scratch.

If the only way to be a Klingon is to be an alt, isn't it obvious why few people play KDF. Heck even I'm moving further and further away from KDF because all my friends won't make the switch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Perhaps if the federation was to START at level 30 and Klingons at level 1
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Cryptic seems to think they have to build a new map for every mission they make. Map reuse, while not always appropriate, would speed things up considerably.

But I agree that simply retreading dialog for existing Fed missions does not fit a KDF mindset.

I'm also not necessarily keen on declaring peace between the KDF and the UFP. It clearly shouldn't be a formal war, either. Warring empires simply do not put aside hostilities when convenient, as seemingly happens in STO.

What it is, and should be, is a Stand-Off and a sort of limited Cease Fire agreement. Neither side wants to risk a full war with Borg incursions going on, but neither side is inclined to give ground either. Skirmishes are downplayed as 'accidents', 'misunderstandings', and individuals 'exceeding their authority'. Raids are carried out by 'renegade' commanders who are only punished if they got caught at it. Complaints are lodged via the usual diplomatic channels in both directions and usually go nowhere. Constantly testing the resolve of the opposition in every matter of importance and cooperating only when there's something to be gained on both sides.

That's the way I see it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Personally, having gathered more and more 'Road to 2409' datachips, I'm leaning towards the opinion that the Klingons are actually right. I wouldn't be surprised if the President of the Federation, or a sizeable chunk of the Council, turns out to be Undine infiltrators, going out of their way to break up the Fed/Klingon alliance to soften up the quadrant (the Klingons go Undine hunting, and that's when the Feds start denouncing them? Suspicious if you ask me). Since we will presumably be getting some Iconian themed missions soon, that seems like the perfect opportunity for something of a resolution to the Undine storyline as well, since SPOILERS (highlight to read) the Undine are only invading because it appears the Iconians have tricked them into believing that the Alpha Quadrant races are trying to invade Fluidic Space. END SPOILERS

If the Iconian missions begin by revealing the extent of the Undine infiltration, and allowing the Federation and Klingons to work together to stop it, then we can have a united front again against the Iconians. And you wouldn't have to go and change all the random encounters where you fight Klingons, say they're a house opposed to the peace treaty, or pirates, or mercenaries. Just because the governments start talking to each other again, doesn't mean every starship captain has to like it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
not looking good for KDF which is sad
I think the reason no one does that gap in story hopefuly it will pick up in six they have gotten much TLC in 5