Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 131
06-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah I had a hunch that was coming after reading the thread dealing with a teaser screen shot and the following statement got made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
Look, Tumerboy, I just had your head's cousins for dinner. If your head doesn't want to JOIN them in my belly, give us a hint: Cruiser, Escort, or Science Ship?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
D) One of the above.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 132
06-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
As I am obligated to purchase an Escort so that cryptic realizes they can sell more than just cruisers I'm still ****ed about this.

The Akira is a Gunship not a friggin carrier. Does Brennen Brega work at Cryptic? Cause the sodomy to canon, common sense, and intelligence is about on par with the writing of Voyager and Enterprise.
Yeah.. and my guess is that this will just be a re-skin of the Kar'fi. Only it'll probobly have:

Cmd Tac
Lt Tac
Lt Engi
LtC Sci
Ensign Sci


Although if it was instead:
Cmd Tac
Lt Universal
Lt Engi
LtC Universal
Ensign Sci

It'd be even better then the Kar'fi.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 133
06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
*sigh* I was actually hoping it wouldn't appear this soon, also the Akira as a Carrier. Come on Cryptic, you gotta be kidding!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 134
06-09-2012, 11:26 AM
You guys are jumping to conclusions quite quickly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 135
06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
You guys are jumping to conclusions quite quickly.
Call it cumulative experience. We already knew it was coming in all honesty, Cryptic is dead set on cloning the KDF so they can completely abolish the ques, this is the next step.

At this point we've gotten so good at calling things before they happen we can virtually word for word quote a dev response before they even say it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 136
06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Yeah.. and my guess is that this will just be a re-skin of the Kar'fi. Only it'll probobly have:

Cmd Tac
Lt Tac
Lt Engi
LtC Sci
Ensign Sci


Although if it was instead:
Cmd Tac
Lt Universal
Lt Engi
LtC Universal
Ensign Sci

It'd be even better then the Kar'fi.
the karfi is basically a cruiser with to many tactical and science stations, a tier 5 akira escort will be nothing like that. i'd be shocked if it doesn't have these stations

COM tac
LTC eng
LT tac
LT sci
ENS tac

2 eng consoles
2 sci consoles
4 tac consoles
1 hanger
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 137
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
well, i have terrible news, you have 1 guess as the what the escort carrier is

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...9F5FA15256070/

yes, the akira which is a torpedo boat in canon, because it had 15-21 torpedo launchers visible on the filming model, is instead going to be a tier 5 retrofit flight deck escort, even though it's rear shuttle doors are actually kinda small for its size of ship, and it doesn't have front shuttle doors at all.
Acctually, it does have front shuttle bay doors..

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...stcontact1.htm

The first three images show the shuttlebays on the bow of the ship. The fourth image points them out.
They're tiny, but there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 138
06-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche_Furman
Acctually, it does have front shuttle bay doors..

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...stcontact1.htm

The first three images show the shuttlebays on the bow of the ship. The fourth image points them out.
They're tiny, but there.
at least you went to the trouble of only highlighting what you read, apparently. those 3 opens/ports/windows were mentioned in the next paragraph. the area those 3 openings take up is smaller then ten forward on a galaxy class, that is not a hanger regardless of what some picture from a magazine says. i have the magazine on my shelf were that's from, that picture was never seen on scree and is not canon, its just something someone put together based on early design notes. when the ship was 50% bigger during the design phase those could have been hangers, but now they are just windows or something that are only about as tall as a man standing upright.

just look at the size of the windows on the saucer, if they are the same size as the windows on the top of a galaxy's saucer, its easy to tell just how short that front section is. just compare the opening's size to the aft shuttle bay doors, at their most narrow point they are still twice as tall as those openings. it simply is physically impossible, and there is not even a momentary clip of those fighters ever coming from any akira class in any of the scenes they are in to link a carrier precedent to the akira in canon.

why didn't that akira that chased down the prometheus launch its fighters if it had them? that was such a critical situation that its inexcusable for the akira's captain not to do everything in his power to fight off those romulans
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 139
06-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
at least you went to the trouble of only highlighting what you read, apparently. those 3 opens/ports/windows were mentioned in the next paragraph. the area those 3 openings take up is smaller then ten forward on a galaxy class, that is not a hanger regardless of what some picture from a magazine says. i have the magazine on my shelf were that's from, that picture was never seen on scree and is not canon, its just something someone put together based on early design notes. when the ship was 50% bigger during the design phase those could have been hangers, but now they are just windows or something that are only about as tall as a man standing upright.

just look at the size of the windows on the saucer, if they are the same size as the windows on the top of a galaxy's saucer, its easy to tell just how short that front section is. just compare the opening's size to the aft shuttle bay doors, at their most narrow point they are still twice as tall as those openings. it simply is physically impossible, and there is not even a momentary clip of those fighters ever coming from any akira class in any of the scenes they are in to link a carrier precedent to the akira in canon.

why didn't that akira that chased down the prometheus launch its fighters if it had them? that was such a critical situation that its inexcusable for the akira's captain not to do everything in his power to fight off those romulans
Why didn't it fire out of more then one of it's 15 launchers either, or launching fighters? The same reason the Defiant never landed on a planet, dispite it's MSD clearly showing landing struts. SFX budget constrains.

Even Alex Jaeger has said it has forward shuttlebays.
http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/akira.html
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 140
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Hmm.. interesting... Especially with saying how the Akira is supposed to almost be as big as the Enterprise E (Some what) And with the mentions on the Shuttle bay description it definitely fits as a Carrier class. Escort Carrier might be like flight Deck Cruiser, but I don't think it will be. I suspect it'll be more like the Kar'fi Battle Carrier.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.