Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinRa_Actual View Post
Out of curiousity, what do you say to the two plus year veterans who have not been enjoying their time here, as the sparse content additions are all time-and-money-gated, and continually further and further divergant from the IP source material? What do you say to the lifetimers who are kind of tired of being fleeced left and right if they want to continue playing the game? What do you say to the folks who find the requirement of real-money funded gambling for content abhorrent and immoral?
There is no need to spend real money if you have time (if you don't, well, you might be able to get a loan from a friend ) due to dilithium and the dilithium exchange. Something I've done is save up dilithium for a while, then make up the difference (a few bucks, even for the 4k Ody pack) with real money. It's easy to get the dilithium cap anyway. Get contraband and trade it in at ESD or DS9 for 2k dilithium, plus STFs are about 15-20 minutes for 1k.

Yeah, there are some issues, but I have faith that Cryptic will fix those issues and present something awesome and unexpected in exchange. It may take a while, but I haven't been disappointed. Just take a break of a month or two, then come back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
There is no need to spend real money if you have time (if you don't, well, you might be able to get a loan from a friend ) due to dilithium and the dilithium exchange. Something I've done is save up dilithium for a while, then make up the difference (a few bucks, even for the 4k Ody pack) with real money. It's easy to get the dilithium cap anyway. Get contraband and trade it in at ESD or DS9 for 2k dilithium, plus STFs are about 15-20 minutes for 1k.

Yeah, there are some issues, but I have faith that Cryptic will fix those issues and present something awesome and unexpected in exchange. It may take a while, but I haven't been disappointed. Just take a break of a month or two, then come back.
You are either inexperienced with cryptic's directorial philosophy or a dyed in the wool optimist. The one I understand, the other I applaud. It must take a great deal of effort to maintain a positive attitude on an issue like this one, where the evidence is rapidly piling up to prove your faith is misplaced.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Then stop playing the game, its as simple as that. If its so bad that you can't have fun then go away, nobody will shed a tear. I still have fun with this game and I have faith that cryptic will turn it around in the near future. If i stop having fun with it., ill stop playing, not gripe about it on a forum.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Moloch View Post
You are either inexperienced with cryptic's directorial philosophy or a dyed in the wool optimist. The one I understand, the other I applaud. It must take a great deal of effort to maintain a positive attitude on an issue like this one, where the evidence is rapidly piling up to prove your faith is misplaced.
I'm forever the optimist! Plus, I'm now a silver player, so I am getting a game I enjoy without having to spend money. I can choose to spend something, but the key word in that is "choose." They have provided two ways to get certain items in the game: real money or dilithium (at an unfortunately steep rate, but that's the market), with ECs for certain items (keys, Gamma Quadrant doff packs, etc.)

Cryptic has to make money somehow. Many of the gold players are lifers, so they don't get money from them for subscriptions. They rely on microtransactions. From what they have told us, this current business plan is leading to the growth of their development team, something that can only mean good things. Again, it will take some time, but I have faith that they will provide something spectacular. I only hope that Season 6 will meet/exceed my expectations when it comes to PvP, as that is my main focus in this game and the only reason I came back after TOR came out. I just enjoyed the PvP here more than over there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Agreed with OP. Fantastic game. I've been here since the beginning, and nothing beats the feeling of being in command that this game provides. We've got a whole lot of fantastic stuff to look forward to, and I'm STOKED about it!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinRa_Actual View Post
Out of curiousity, what do you say to the two plus year veterans who have not been enjoying their time here, as the sparse content additions are all time-and-money-gated, and continually further and further divergant from the IP source material? What do you say to the lifetimers who are kind of tired of being fleeced left and right if they want to continue playing the game? What do you say to the folks who find the requirement of real-money funded gambling for content abhorrent and immoral?
I'd seriously love an answer to that, but it raises difficult questions they'd rather not answer...

Quote:
Agreed with OP. Fantastic game. I've been here since the beginning, and nothing beats the feeling of being in command that this game provides. We've got a whole lot of fantastic stuff to look forward to, and I'm STOKED about it!
They've been promising great things for over two years but all we've really had over the last seven months is pretty much endless excuses about resources and going F2P. At best we've had a luck based grind called STFs, a spreadsheet masquerading as a game expansion and about two hours's worth of real content most of which turned out to be sub-par and buggy. They only 'decent' stuff in game has been gated behind a monetarised currency.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post

Yeah, there are some issues, but I have faith that Cryptic will fix those issues and present something awesome and unexpected in exchange. It may take a while, but I haven't been disappointed. Just take a break of a month or two, then come back.
I'm always amazed at this line of thought, now given the poster is an unabashed optimist, I do understand it, but to him i say the following.

The EP of this game, has come out and admitted that HE didn't tell us the whole story when it came to the KDF. When the Executive Producer of the game can't be fully trusted to be forthright with the players of the game, That to me speaks VOLUMES. I have little faith in them now, they've admitted to bad communication problems, then done things to make them worse. They have a long standing track record of serious QA issues, that they now admit to. These things, alone, are bad, you combine them and at least to me, it indicates things that convinced me to never trust them with anything, least of all my credit card information.

I'm glad you are having fun, and enjoying the game, but do not be surprised that some of us look at them, and the things they do with very jaded eyes, do to THEIR actions, not our.s
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
I'm glad you are having fun, and enjoying the game, but do not be surprised that some of us look at them, and the things they do with very jaded eyes, do to THEIR actions, not our.s
i realize that the dev team isn't perfect. they're human and screw up too. but keep in mind the story of Star Trek Online today is quite different than the story two years ago.

i don't think i heard a single positive review of STO when it was released. the reviews that didn't outright bash on the game were along the lines of meh.... and for an mmo to release to great mediocrity more often than not spells it's doom.

but here we are more than two years later STO is gaining strength and momentum i believe. in the short time i've been a member i've seen game destroying bugs squashed, *coughcough*nightofthecomet*coughcough* a great many ships and items added, i've been attacked by romulans, klingons, breen, and in the foundry, drunk cannibalistic faeries (land sakes that was a weird one). Star Trek Online has a great following mostly of people who want a great time.

it's why TOS got it's third season, it's how TNG got made, it's how this game got green lighted. Star Trek at it's very heart is around because of its fans.

the dev team may not be entirely trustworthy (lock boxes i'm looking at YOU!), but i believe that Cryptic staff understands this, it would be stupid for them to not know. all we have to do, is make sure that the stuff we want makes them lots of money :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree with OP, the difference between 800+ days ago when i started playing until now is massive... Well done indeed.

My only problem is i feel the items on the cryptic store is over priced.... I have the vulcan sci vessel, the 3 pack odyssey class pack and also the new carrier... that is an extra $100.00 worth of items, which means in the last 6 months i have spent just as much as i would have on 2 new games....

Yes, lucky for me i got quite a bit of disposable income, but from a business model i would have thought that if they lowered the price for the new ships they might sell more of them...

10,000 people buying at $25 or 50,000 people buying at $10.00......

But then again i am paying it, so i am a hypocrit lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
I'm forever the optimist!
It stands to reason, by your own logic and words, that your bias is as strong as the bias of those who have negative comments. Neither should be viewed on its own as the only data to be considered (accurate or otherwise). Viewing both segments should be.

What concerns me, and Kyuui and others are saying this by way of their comments, is that Cryptic addresses only the "positive" posts. Stunningly, there is little to no feedback on the posts that have legitimate concerns. While they're inferring this in their posts, it might do well to address the point directly.

Quote:
Cryptic has to make money somehow. Many of the gold players are lifers, so they don't get money from them for subscriptions. They rely on microtransactions.
You've made a few faulty conclusions there. Lifetime members, monthly subscribers, or even silver players can spend a lot on the C-Store. I can tell you that within a 2 month period, for example, I spent close to $500 on this game - and I'm lifetime as you can see. I know because my bank records (and my memory which is quite excellent) can confirm this. Do not assume that color of one's status on this board has any bearing on the amount of money they do or do not spend. Unless you have access to the back end, you have little cause to do anything more than speculate with incomplete data.

Do not presume that you have all the facts. Indeed, assume that you do not. A wise man knows that he does not know.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM.