Lt. Commander
# 21
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksty
My only problem is i feel the items on the cryptic store is over priced....
I think this is probably the most interesting and salient point I have seen on the forums in the last week or so. Microtransactions should be, by definition, micro. $25.00 for any in-game item is excessive and does not fit the definition of 'micro'. Especially, for example, when one considers (if you pay monthly) that the monthly cost of gold membership is less than the cost for an item. (Indeed, several folks have opined with some merit that the cost of gold hardly is justifiable over silver.)

I'm rather intrigued by the fact that Cryptic said that the cost of the items would go down after F2P. I don't see how 1200 CP is greater than 2000 CP. Mathematically, one must logically conclude that 2000 is greater than 1200 - even if you factor in Dilithium being able to discount it.

Although the original poster has all the bouncy happiness of a Bambi movie on steroids, there is a reason the more jaded posters are countering with their posts. Often the stated intentions of Cryptic do not match their actions. By often, this is interpreted through historical trends, it should be assumed 'most of the time'.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I am have a lifetime subscription and I am still loving this game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
I think this is probably the most interesting and salient point I have seen on the forums in the last week or so. Microtransactions should be, by definition, micro. $25.00 for any in-game item is excessive and does not fit the definition of 'micro'. Especially, for example, when one considers (if you pay monthly) that the monthly cost of gold membership is less than the cost for an item. (Indeed, several folks have opined with some merit that the cost of gold hardly is justifiable over silver.)

I'm rather intrigued by the fact that Cryptic said that the cost of the items would go down after F2P. I don't see how 1200 CP is greater than 2000 CP. Mathematically, one must logically conclude that 2000 is greater than 1200 - even if you factor in Dilithium being able to discount it.

Although the original poster has all the bouncy happiness of a Bambi movie on steroids, there is a reason the more jaded posters are countering with their posts. Often the stated intentions of Cryptic do not match their actions. By often, this is interpreted through historical trends, it should be assumed 'most of the time'.
Just to put the costs of the game in perspective. I took my wife to Brunch yesterday, at a local eatery, we spend 40 on a champagne brunch. When the pack and the ships (oddy) came out someone said they were an aberration price wise. Well the Atrox is out now, and guess what, its 2000. It is less of an Aberration, more of a trend now.

Given the historical trends with Cryptic, this is the new norm. What they say, and what they do, do not, often intersect, as Aunt Kathy and I both have come to realize.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
Given the historical trends with Cryptic, this is the new norm. What they say, and what they do, do not, often intersect, as Aunt Kathy and I both have come to realize.
What is more interesting to me is that the Cryptic forum apologists rarely post these days. I remember most arguments being stamped out in fairly short order during the hayday. The conclusion I can reasonably infer from this is that they were happy then. Something has changed -- even for them.

If the forums are by and large almost exclusively (I'd say within a 90% range) negative or asking for promises to be met - this should be worthy of internal discussion. It wasn't always like this. Forums may not represent 100% of the user base, but they do show trends. This trend is decidedly more negative than any in previous record and that should bear some eye opening on Cryptic's end.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
What is more interesting to me is that the Cryptic forum apologists rarely post these days. I remember most arguments being stamped out in fairly short order during the hayday. The conclusion I can reasonably infer from this is that they were happy then. Something has changed -- even for them.

If the forums are by and large almost exclusively (I'd say within a 90% range) negative or asking for promises to be met - this should be worthy of internal discussion. It wasn't always like this. Forums may not represent 100% of the user base, but they do show trends. This trend is decidedly more negative than any in previous record and that should bear some eye opening on Cryptic's end.
I've noticed that trend as well, and those who do post oft times go to some side issue to counter the thread. The overall feel of the forum, is negative, based off my personal reading at least. Cryptic, may not see it as such, however. What leads me to think this is this very thread, BF was very quick to post here, in (at least to me) a very self congratulatory way, however serious issues get glossed over and told "they're fine" even when a large group of people are experiencing a entire different reality, within the game. It is even more alarming when in at least 2 cases based off what a DEV said, someone has proven just the opposite. That, makes me wonder what exactly they do see here, and who/ how it is filtered.
Lt. Commander
# 26 What can i say.........
05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
BranFlakes, you guys really did a nice job for what you've on hand. The game visually is stunning and reminds me of Trek's hayday when everyone (not just us Trekkies) was interested in the franchise and message and uniqueness of each of the series. Some more popular than others but that's true with Cryptic's episodes. You know some in the Community including myself sometimes go on a Worf tirade about Cryptic's goofs but hey in all you did the franchise proud after all that Cryptic has been through. When do go on rants just bear in mind we have the best interests of game in mind and longevity of the Franchise's IP.

Still however you guys have to admit you have goofed and or slipped on a few things:

Getting yourselves backed in a corner with promises that you eventually thrown to the Targs
(i.e. Into the Hive STF)

Being upfront on major changes in game like Lockboxes, they came on us so suddenly and its such a change and having to pay for drops, you can see why Vets are still reeling about that. On a side note i'm sure you can put this stuff in the C Store right? Just an Idea.....

Plus we are ALL Trek fans are we not? So please if you can listen to all of us and our concerns or praises and act accordingly on them. After all the if you keep us happy we all get Trek to play with.

Lack of Content is really a issue.....If you guys need help, theres an Army of Trek fans that can oblige, plus maybe when the game gets more publicity maybe you can get the Star Trek Novel writers to do the story episodes since they make a career out of it. They love Trek too you know....... __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Anyways for what its worth its a real fun game, you can always find some fellow Trekkie to talk to about the haydays of ST and where its going, I'd like to think our Community is more that any other MMO and really sets us apart.

BTW BranFlakes if at anytime during my little rants i crossed the line and may have offended you or the other Devs personally i apologize but i still stand on my general messages about the topics that there is still a lot of work to be done in this MMO.

Still great job and i hope its here to stay for the future (or at least till a new reboot movie or series comes out LOL,.............Just Kidding)
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
You've made a few faulty conclusions there. Lifetime members, monthly subscribers, or even silver players can spend a lot on the C-Store. I can tell you that within a 2 month period, for example, I spent close to $500 on this game - and I'm lifetime as you can see. I know because my bank records (and my memory which is quite excellent) can confirm this. Do not assume that color of one's status on this board has any bearing on the amount of money they do or do not spend. Unless you have access to the back end, you have little cause to do anything more than speculate with incomplete data.

Do not presume that you have all the facts. Indeed, assume that you do not. A wise man knows that he does not know.
Point of information: I did not say that lifers spend no money. I said that because many of the Gold members are lifers, Cryptic gets nothing from them in terms of subscriptions

And I never claimed to have an impartial opinion. I just want to give Cryptic the occasional carrot when everyone else gives them the stick. I criticize what they have done in the PvP forum (you can check my recent posts), but I feel like they need to know that we as a playerbase don't hate them the way our comments on this forum show. A lot of people are upset right now, myself included, but there is a reason I come back to this game: I enjoy it, even for all of its flaws.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
Point of information: I did not say that lifers spend no money. I said that because many of the Gold members are lifers, Cryptic gets nothing from them in terms of subscriptions
I don't know about many, but by default, we are all gold. what they didn't get from me since buying my LTS was a monthy, but its not all I spent, I was a Monthly for a long time before I bought into the "intents" and got my LTS, which has been 11 months now. So that LTS is not "paid off" they're ahead when it comes to my case. Their actions, have driven me off of many things including spending. I have spent my fair share here, have several ships, almost every uniform, at least 15 uniform slots, 13 character slots, you get the idea. I have spent a good chunk. and that, mind you, was only the STO stuff, I bought points for CO. As a whole I think lifers have spent more than you'd imagine, that 15 a month we were spending on subs, now, is free, for other things.

As far as Cryptic goes, I have and do give then credit when they deserve it, but I will not hold back, "be nice" or anything else when it comes to them and the serial habit they have of, to be mild, screwing up. The old adage comes to play here, and its been way more than 3 times.

I still log in, I still do my Doffs, but I will NOT spend money here, not until things change, drastically
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
Well, not *entirely* true. they get from them the same thing they get from SIlvers - C-store purchases. And perhaps a bit more in that category, since there are some players who are silver and who refuse to spend any money on the game, instead using exclusively in-game methods to gain what they want, even if it takes longer. (I know I do that on supposedly 'free' android/iOs/Web based games.)

Since Lifers are more invested, I can see them spending a bit more than some silvers.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Some of the good things I have seen since launch:

Klingon PvE/Story
I stopped paying attention as soon as I read this. you actually think that the present klingon story and PvE content is a GOOD thing? its so absurdly awful of a situation for the KDF that its not even funny.

Quote:
There is no need to spend real money if you have time (if you don't, well, you might be able to get a loan from a friend ) due to dilithium and the dilithium exchange
except, you know, someone has to actually BUY those cstore points before you can trade anything for them

Quote:
Yeah, there are some issues, but I have faith that Cryptic will fix those issues and present something awesome and unexpected in exchange. It may take a while, but I haven't been disappointed. Just take a break of a month or two, then come back.
theres a term for that. its called 'abysmally low standards'. people have been feeding others that line since day one.

Quote:
Then stop playing the game, its as simple as that. If its so bad that you can't have fun then go away, nobody will shed a tear
in other words 'shut up and leave'? yeah that'll go over really well when enough people finally do that and the game shuts down. is that what you want?

Quote:
If i stop having fun with it., ill stop playing, not gripe about it on a forum.
angry customers have a right to state the truth. thats not griping. if you go to mcdonalds and they give you a raw burger you wouldn't take it well if the guy at the next table turned to you and said 'stop griping. if you don't like it leave'

Quote:
Cryptic has to make money somehow
thats nothing more than an excuse. there are right ways and wrong ways to make money. so far they are choosing very very wrong ways to do it. and its coming back on them.

Quote:
. From what they have told us, this current business plan is leading to the growth of their development team
cryptic says alot of things. most of them untrue

Quote:
something that can only mean good things
yeah.... so good that they are now relying on illegal gambling, time gating content and canning the FE's to 'make money' if thats your idea of good....

Quote:
I only hope that Season 6 will meet/exceed my expectations when it comes to PvP
don't count on it. when was the last time any season did much of anything? take a look at the last two, or should I say the last one - because thats what 4 and 5 are in reality.

Quote:
The EP of this game, has come out and admitted that HE didn't tell us the whole story when it came to the KDF. When the Executive Producer of the game can't be fully trusted to be forthright with the players of the game, That to me speaks VOLUMES. I have little faith in them now, they've admitted to bad communication problems, then done things to make them worse. They have a long standing track record of serious QA issues, that they now admit to. These things, alone, are bad, you combine them and at least to me, it indicates things that convinced me to never trust them with anything, least of all my credit card information.
this. though I don't recall anyone actually admitting to anything. I find it hard to believe he'd actually admit that he'd been caught lying.

Quote:
the dev team may not be entirely trustworthy (lock boxes i'm looking at YOU!), but i believe that Cryptic staff understands this, it would be stupid for them to not know.
of course they know. i'd say the better question is why do they keep doing it, and refuse to admit to having already done it, if they know they're untrustworthy? thats the question you should be asking and the one that speaks volumes

Quote:
I agree with OP, the difference between 800+ days ago when i started playing until now is massive
massive? no it isn't. same bugs that never get fixed, same poor QA, same poor CS, same bs from devs, same very poor amount of content, same excuses

Quote:
What concerns me, and Kyuui and others are saying this by way of their comments, is that Cryptic addresses only the "positive" posts. Stunningly, there is little to no feedback on the posts that have legitimate concerns. While they're inferring this in their posts, it might do well to address the point directly.
and this in itself speaks volumes