For the most part I would say the answers were quite clear. I will not be able to attend the IRC chat due to my job but I do have some points I would ask if I were there. I will try to keep each question on topic of progression.
1. There are these mentions about putting points into a growing set of skill options as you progress. So my question is, will you get points like in an RPG (like Wow) were you have an XP bar and when you fill it up you get a talent point and each level requires more XP or will it be like one episode is 1 point? In other words, when are you awarded a point?
Also, from what I understand, BOs will use a similar system, correct me if I am wrong:
If you equip a BO to a terminal in a ship or beam down with him and activity play with him then he has a XP bar too and will gain skill points as he adventures with you and gains XP? Do you give your points to the BO? This is very similar to the question above but for BOs. How do they get their points?
2. I understand that there will be 3 professions (Tactical, Science and Engineering), will each class be just as good in PvP (each with their talents balancing) or will tactical be good at PvP, Engineering be good at support roles and Science at PvE? What are your plans in this light?
Oh yeah, they never explained BO skill progression. I believe from previous Ask Cryptics, you earn a pool of Skill Points, and spend where needed. This leads me to another question: is the BO skill point pool different from the player skill point pool?
1) will promotions in rank be automatic or does the player have the choice to trigger the promotion whenever he/she wants (ie i want to stay lieutenant for a while and invest more skill points in the base level skills)
2) how will BO promotions be handled? Will the player have to grant field promotions or does it have to be done by Starfleet Command/Klingon High Council?
3) When a player is ready for a promotion, is it just a flip of a switch ie I press the "promotion" button and im automatically promoted, or will the devs take this opportunity to do something cool "trek" like return to starbase and complete some sort of promotion trial/mission/episode to finalize "earning" the promotion?
4) one facet of star trek we've seen is diciplinary action imposed on a character, reducing them in rank. Will there be triggers in the game for both factions that could potentially result in a reduction in rank? eg. Starfleet officer violates the prime directive, Klingon officer loses a challenge from a lower ranking officer...something unique to each faction that can help keep players playing within the scope of their factions beliefs and standards.
I don't really have any specific questions about the most recent Ask Cryptic, but I am going to try to make it to the chat tomorrow if at all possible. If not, I am assuming that a transcript will be posted so either way I can't wait to see what new information comes out of the chat.
Mach789: By the time I reach Admiral, will my skills be locked or will I be able to max out every skill eventually?
You can max out every skill eventually. We plan to keep adding skills to keep ahead of people, and by the time you’ve progressed through the endgame content, you’ll only have about half of the total skills you can acquire anyway.
My Question is: Is this same mechanic being used for BO's or will there be a cap to the number of skills they can learn in their given profession?
I understand that todays chat is not only about the last topic but also as an jumping off point.
You mentioned your great charakter generator some times in the past. Is it possible to change the appearence of your charakter also later in the game? And could you change the appearence of new BOs?
And, of course, when do you plan to show something more of it? Of course I have seen the actual video, but to be honest it is a little bit short to get a real impression.
Do you also plan to release a tool where players could build there ingame Avatar with a version of the generator before the game is released and then implant it later in the game? Everquest II did so and it was great.