Lt. Commander
# 41
09-22-2009, 10:40 AM
In the Ask Cryptic, it was implied that, in space, the game will not be traditionally class-based, as opposed to ground. Still, in space, will it be possible to only spend points in a given profession, say, Science? If so, will you still be able to solo and be effective while grouped (in space)? On another words, will you be expected or forced to mix up your skills while in space?
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Will it be possible to level up with exploration, puzzle solving and information type missions, or will a substantial amount of combat be required?
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname987123
Last question: 3rd party addons, similar to WoW, where they make huge impact on gameplay. For example spam filter (if you won't have your own implemented), layout changing addon, etc). I haven't seen anything about it on the forum.
From what I've read of the CO EULA, third party addons are expressly forbidden and considered to be a violation of the EULA.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
And my question is!

In a skill-based system, there are no levels to indicate the difficulty level of a particular encounter or mission. What steps are you taking to ensure that players will be guided toward participating in content that matches their current skill levels?
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I would like to know if we will have access to the ships computer and how the computer interface would work. If there is computer access, here are a few things i have questons on.

1) Will there be a chat interface (via a microphone) where you would say, "computer, access database on klingons" and the computer would pull up info on Klingons about thier culture, ships, weapons, etc....

2) Will there be a button you can push to bring up the computers database and select the info you want from various subfields on a variety of cultural, technological, and scientific fields?

3) Will the computer display information in text only, or will there be a computer voice option you can enable?

Having not been able to find any info on this subject, i thought it would be a nice point to bring up since in pretty much every Star Trek episode, characters are using the computer for a multitude of functions.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodkeeper View Post
Hey guys only a few questions:

1. Ok so I start out at the basic noob rank then I imagine I go through some tutorial missions and learn how to pilot my ship and control my avatar in ground missions etc. Then I go get an upgrade from my noob ship at some space station. I know there isnít any in game currency so I have to put in a requisition order for my ship once I have the skills to pilot it or what?, also if letís say the borg decide to drop in for a party can or will npc ships join in and fend them off or will the borg fleet sent in be dependent on the class /amount of ships in the system at the time of their arrival?

2. If I for some reason think I can handle pvp and go warp into the neutral zone and die from an engagement what happens?, do I get my ship back at space dock or am I left in a wreckage and have to try and repair my com system to send out a distress signal?.

3. Will it be possible to modify your ship like add an extra warp nasal or ablative armour plating?, perhaps add an extra power cell or something to your ship so your phases recharge faster or something, and how extensive is the physical ship modification system I mean could I like completely redesign the akira class or something, for example make it longer etc.

4. Collisions, if I for whatever reason decide to ram vessel will this actually do any damage, I mean obviously you can't just undock from station and any collisions you make damage your ship, but yes just asking.

5. I know itís been done in various star trek episodes, but can you change the yield of your torpedoes, for example if my ship has a standard torpedoes launcher that can only fire like 4 megajule warheads then could I modify my launcher to fire larger more powerful torpedoes or would there be some kind of market where you can trade goods, like a warp core reactor or medical supplies etc.

Thanks

i think visiting the ferengi is on order for that. remember they deal to both sides,good + evil, so watch your back.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
One additional question in regards to the ranks. How do you plan to move forward with ranks in the future? After all there might be hundreds of Admirals flying the galaxy in 2 years...
Given that a game like WoW has 12 million players, let's hope that in STO the Admirals number much more than in the hundreds 2 years after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxion View Post
Given that a game like WoW has 12 million players, let's hope that in STO the Admirals number much more than in the hundreds 2 years after launch.
I don't get the WoW reference.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-22-2009, 02:42 PM
im sure we will see many people come to play STO, there is not doubt in my mind that all the star trek junkies will come to play and love this game, lets hope much more than wow will ever have
Lt. Commander
# 50 No 3rd party addons?
09-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Airman View Post
From what I've read of the CO EULA, third party addons are expressly forbidden and considered to be a violation of the EULA.
Well, I hope it will be different in STO, addons are very useful and actually improve the game experience in WoW. I know there are practicaly no addons in EVE, and I didn't like it. Some people simply have good idea what to improve, skills how to do it and will to do it.
WoW developers actualy help in that process and I think it's one of the reasons why is WoW so popular.
I would love to see good space MMO that is not all about money. STO has the best chance to become one, from what I saw so far. Well, we will see.

Please, Cryptic, can you comment on that? Will it be possible to have 3rd party addons? Maybe not at start, but later with a patch? If EULA blocks that legally, I think it's bad way to go, from player's perspective.