Lt. Commander
# 21
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
BAD...

What I have to say has already been stated...
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Me Grimlock think BAD!
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-05-2012, 10:55 PM
1. I have a very bad feeling about this

2. I play for relaxation - when I can around R/L stuff. With "The Vault only being available once every 20 hours (!) that means that there are only 2 days per week I could possibly play this artificially "important" event. And, even then, I'd have to be up around 4AM (my time) to play it! That's not just stupid, that's freaking rediculous on a galactic scale.
Yeah, I understand that Cryptic want to slow us down so that the game lasts longer... but who's fracking fault is it that there's so little bleeding content in the first place? If they spent less time designing c-store only available ships, converting every bit of KDF tech to UFP tech, and crap rewards for yet another freaking lock-box event perhaps we might have more actual content to play and thus not need artificially rare events.

3. Coffin, meet nail.
Lt. Commander
# 24 Cryptic - Rethink!!!
05-06-2012, 02:09 AM
As suspected, not a single person has a good thing to say about these, thanks for your time answering guys. As in the other thread regarding possible time gated STFs to be released or similar content nobody is happy about it.

We are your customers Cryptic, we pay you, we want to enjoy the content as and when it suits us, around our lives, we are not prepared to schedule our lives around STO. For many the new content is virtually unplayable, which means it may as well not exist. For those majority of users then there has been something worse than no content, content that is ephemeral due to the unreasonable use of event timers. A tantalising glimpse of what could be available if we didn't have real lives, families, jobs, responsibilities to deal with first.

For many then this intangible content is as bad as no content and they will find little to do once they do log on. If they are not logging on then they are not buying stuff and you are losing money - it's not rocket science.

Speaking for the majority, we implore you Cryptic to rethink this counter productive practise before you drive away the hand that feeds you.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Bad.

Yup, I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I´m also playing to relax sometimes, and it´s not fun that you have to constantly be checking the clock because you want to be able to play these events as much as you can with fleet and/or friends.

I think the problem with Cryptic´s approach goes further than just discussions about time gating content. It´s about Cryptic´s obsession with releasing new missions with new shinies. Cryptic wants to time gate the vault event b/c the rewards lead to getting a new reman space set. Thus restricting it will limit the amount of players who can grind out the reman sets. Also, if you time gate the event and make the reman set hard to get, it becomes more desirable. Grinding for it also makes it seem like you have to work for it. What´s confusing to me though is why do you have to have this time gated, grindy mechanic placed into every single mission, event, and FE available?

While new space sets are welcome they shouldn't be going into every new mission and even that is released. Why not released episodic content for the sake of story telling instead of for the sake of some new shiny?

Yeah, you might tell me to go play foundry missions if I want story content which is a valid point, but I didn't pay the foundry authors to make this game; I payed Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Bad.

Myself, My friends.. everyone I know in the game 'very rarely' if ever play any of the gated missions. they're either not available when we're on or are just missed.. honestly, it feels like the gated missions just don't exist.

I think Cryptic are doing it to slow players getting sick of them or from grinding the rewards too quickly (also in the case of the Deferi invasion, to ensure it's an active place)... which is good but it's not quite the right way of doing it and leaves most people out. What I think Cryptic should do is make them available for a full 24hrs twice a week (or thereabouts) with an appropriate mission cooldown.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
1) Bad idea on the time gates.

2) As was mentioned countless times before, it completely takes the option to play a certain event(s) away from players who simply cannot play the game at the assigned time slot.

3) Good idea on limiting available events, for the whole "burnout" factor, but it shouldn't be based on available times for said events.

Solution) Make all events available at any given time, but with a limit on the number of times each one can be played in a 24hr timespan, resetting all of them to 0 at 12:00am PST. This keeps players from being able to spam them, and takes the "burnout" factor out of the equation, while also eliminating the exploitation of constantly playing a high-yield event. It even gives more use to Fleets as a byproduct, by allowing us to actually utilize the use of making Fleet Event time schedules w/in our own Fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Keep your answers brief please.

1. Is it good for the game or bad for the game?

GOOD

2. Please briefly explain your answer to #1

It is a different type of grind and endgame content. It's a chance, espacially if the timeframes are annoced properly for casual players to get something rare or even unique. I also belive, it can add some live and soul to the entire game, if implemented properly. (Cryptic is doing a bad job there n my opinion). "World Events", or Galaxy Events are a great idea in an MMO. It removes the static nature of the mmo world. It gives me the feeling, that something is happening all the time.

3. Why do you think events are being gated?

to create a difference to other MMOs, like SW:TOR, WOW and so on...

4. What would be a way to improve this?

Simple thing. Consitency in the change and giving the whole change a more professionell touch. There need to be an "obvious" notification, whats coming up in the next week/month, that needs to be better then that actual mission calender. Also there needs to be a roleplay or storytelling implementation to the game, that gives it a stable look. That can be a short notification from Adm. Quinn, that something special or an actual is going on that needs your immediate attention. The whole concept needs to be more "gamerelated", then just havin a buisness schedule...
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
1. Bad
2. I've already not been able to bring myself to play the game for 2 months. This move has done nothing to convince me to come back.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
1. Bad

2. None of my friends are online at the same time to do the gated material.

3. If must be generating more income for Cryptic, because there is nothing they do (good or bad) that isn't based purely on profit.

4. There's really no excuse that this sort of content couldn't be both scheduled (for pugs) AND manually selected times (for fleet teams).