Lt. Commander
As the title says, the idea is pretty simple: give STF players more variants of the MACO rifle (such as Full Auto and Split Beam, for example. Here's some reasons why I think this would be a good idea:
  • Engine and development-wise, it would be very easy to do - just taking the existing MACO Sniper Rifle, and maybe modify the animations a little bit for the Full-Auto and Split Beam configurations. (It would be cool if they did the "front opening up" animation during Full Auto Sweep and Auto-Targeting Beam, but the guns would still be fine if they didn't.
  • Some players (such as myself) would like to use phaser rifles, but aren't too happy with the design of the current engame versions (long story short: while the rifle itself is a solid design, I do get irritated by the way the glowing stuff on the front end sticks out.) However, there are people who like the current Mk X-XII rifle look. This way the "anti-glow" people get an alternative to the regular Mk X+ guns, the fans of the current rifles get to keep theirs, and the MACO rifles are still reserved for the anti-Borg task force.
  • Also, some captains like to give their away teams matching weapons, and this would allow a MACO rifle owner to do the same without having to make said squad an all-sniper affair.
  • Those who like playing with rifles other than the Sniper would be more inclined to buy this than the sniper equivalent.
  • It makes a lot of sense in-universe - given the situation a MACO commando or Facility 4028 guard might likely find himself in (facing down a ton of Borg drones (possibly in the close-quarter confines of a Borg cube) for the former, opposing a large amount of prisoners (in the close confines of the prison) for the latter), the anti-group capabilities of the Full Auto and Split Beam rifles would be more useful than the Sniper's long-shot targeting.
That's all I can think of right now. I know there's the Omega Force anti-proton carbine, but dagnabbit, I want phasers and I want my crew to have matching weapons!

So, what do you think? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2012, 05:15 AM
i am thinking... and i can't post this picture often enough:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...1P9IL/610x.jpg

neither the MACO rifle, nor the XII rifle really fill the need for Replica Rifles from the Show.
we got some TOS replicas, but where are all the Replica TNG rifles?

//edit:
made a new sig pic ->
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
And replica rifles has to do with my topic ... how?

For one, the TNG phaser rifles before First Contact were ugly and unenergonomic (plus the fact they didn't even have trigger guards!) Also, putting the rifles into the game would require the developers to make new models for the guns, plus how would they implement them in the game itself? Would they replace the current phaser rifles (and theplayers screaming "OMG Cryptic changed my rifle! What havey they done?!") or would they have to be bought seperately? (And, if seperately, how? Dilithium? Special FE rewards? A TNG Phaser rifle pack for CP?)

By contrast, my proposal already has a ready-made model (the MACO rifle currently in use) plus an already-established method of purchase (the same way MACO sniper rifles are bought.) So my idea would require a lot less effort than yours on the developer's part. Plus, I have no desire whatsoever to have one of those TNG seriers-era Type III rifles.

So, to move this thread back to the stated topic.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes
[*]Some players (such as myself) would like to use phaser rifles, but aren't too happy with the design of the current engame versions (long story short: while the rifle itself is a solid design, I do get irritated by the way the glowing stuff on the front end sticks out.) ...
thats what it has to do with your thread...
sorry if i went a bit to far on that one point ;P

i agree that there could be more different types for the MACO rifle, but i don't think it's likely to happen.

for example i also think that the Romulan Rifle from the Romulan FE Series should not have been a Splitbeam, and should be available in multiple variations... it's a way to nice art asset to be a non-canon split beam weapon (where did they ever see a phaser shoot 3 beams in random directions? weirdest weapon type game wide.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Even better,
the STFs guns give you a weapon skin and a set bonus modifier. Then you stick the kind of weapon into the skin that you want the gun to be.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
Even better,
the STFs guns give you a weapon skin and a set bonus modifier. Then you stick the kind of weapon into the skin that you want the gun to be.
novel, but unlikely. I cant see why cryptic doesn't just give us more guns, they love giving us stuff to find
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes
  • It makes a lot of sense in-universe - given the situation a MACO commando or Facility 4028 guard might likely find himself in (facing down a ton of Borg drones (possibly in the close-quarter confines of a Borg cube) for the former, opposing a large amount of prisoners (in the close confines of the prison) for the latter), the anti-group capabilities of the Full Auto and Split Beam rifles would be more useful than the Sniper's long-shot targeting.
Full Auto is terrible against Borg, though, and for CQC, I'd rather have a Pulsewave and my mine chroniton mines handy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoKnight View Post
Full Auto is terrible against Borg, though, and for CQC, I'd rather have a Pulsewave and my mine chroniton mines handy.
Hey, I just want better looking endgame phaser rifles than the current Mk X+ ones. Why must you stomp on my dreams?

The Full Auto isn't the best rifle for Borg, true - I've found the Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Assault Rifle (the rifle from the Devidian missions) is better for them, but that weapon has some possible, er, phallic symbolism (as some have claimed earlier in these forums), plus your character looks a bit goofy running with it...