Lt. Commander
# 21
05-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Which Beam Fire At Will do you mean? I think the bugged one that I believe Zorena talked about first in a big thread - I think that was the point PvP was the best balanced overall. It seemed to me that bug was mostly problematic because Dual Beam Banks dealt a little more damage than intentended and Beam Arrays a lot less. It wasn't as uber as some of the later versions.

Of course, BFAW and Scramble Sensors occured around the same time, so even ignoring that, the Scramble Sensors stuff would have been annoying. But at least there wasn't the Antimatter Spread console yet, and the resistance to Scrambles that was introduced much later would have fixed that (well, maybe overnerfed). Still, I maintain that was the best of times in PvP.
That was about the same time I started to PvP. In fact, I remember the patch, that "fixed" FAW then, occurred within days of my first few PvP matches. Those were really good times... except when you were pugging and hit one of those 5-man FAW cruiser teams or 4 cruisers and a FAWscort, but still. It was those times that made PvP my favorite part of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-06-2012, 08:49 AM
PvP feels broken. And the development process for PvP feels broken. Is it possible someone even considered PvP when contemplating these new fighters, not to mention a Fed carrier?

And I don't know which tooltips to trust anymore. None of them, I suspect.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, PvP is pretty lackluster now, (to be polite), I find it kind of humorous that whatever the PvP community doesn't like, the devs add more of I'd have better luck explaining to my cat how to fill her own food bowl.

Sorry Cryptic but you really sucked the fun out of a large portion of the game, unless this was your intent. I can fully see the logic in screwing pvp up bad enough that no one wants to do it, then saying that not enough people are interested in PvP therefore giving you a reason to push it off another few seasons. Sometimes the best way to get someone to leave is to make them want to leave.
After all,, we really aren't as profitable as the RP PvE community when it comes to purchasing flair.
Lt. Commander
I'm not a die-hard Pvp'er, but I'll give you my feelings on it from my times playing it.

It seems pointless. The maps in which you play in have no real-world (i.e. Universe affecting) reprecussions. 5 Klinks and 5 feds decide to square off for awhile. One side wins, one side loses and... it means squat.

There is no territorial control. There are no bonuses for victory, there are no punishments for defeat. No one has to repair their ships from their battles. A system captured does not yield any special perks for the faction that captured it and frankly there is no real incentive to fight at all beyond gloating rights.

I'd like to see a complete revamp of space combat all the way around, introducing damage that must be repaired and seeing ship size and speed factored in, but that's not Pvp specific.

Pvp in a game such as this needs a reason for being, and in all the times I've played it regardless of victory or defeat, I just come away feeling like it was a waste of time. This is coming from a person who's already at max level and doesn't really consider any dilithium gained from the instance to be worth much, so take my opinion with a gain of salt.

Perhaps with the addition of player made starbases, maybe then we'll get a sense of some reason to fight. (Like maybe defending our precious bases from destruction by the opposing side.)

In the meantime, I guess I'll just grab my phaser and fight alongside my sworn Klingon enemies against the Borg on Defera and maybe even have a drink with them on DS9. ...Yeah, the war is pretty much over.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_riker01 View Post
I'm not a die-hard Pvp'er, but I'll give you my feelings on it from my times playing it.

It seems pointless. The maps in which you play in have no real-world (i.e. Universe affecting) reprecussions. 5 Klinks and 5 feds decide to square off for awhile. One side wins, one side loses and... it means squat.

There is no territorial control. There are no bonuses for victory, there are no punishments for defeat. No one has to repair their ships from their battles. A system captured does not yield any special perks for the faction that captured it and frankly there is no real incentive to fight at all beyond gloating rights.

I'd like to see a complete revamp of space combat all the way around, introducing damage that must be repaired and seeing ship size and speed factored in, but that's not Pvp specific.

Pvp in a game such as this needs a reason for being, and in all the times I've played it regardless of victory or defeat, I just come away feeling like it was a waste of time. This is coming from a person who's already at max level and doesn't really consider any dilithium gained from the instance to be worth much, so take my opinion with a gain of salt.

Perhaps with the addition of player made starbases, maybe then we'll get a sense of some reason to fight. (Like maybe defending our precious bases from destruction by the opposing side.)

In the meantime, I guess I'll just grab my phaser and fight alongside my sworn Klingon enemies against the Borg on Defera and maybe even have a drink with them on DS9. ...Yeah, the war is pretty much over.
great comment +1. pvp needs purpose to attract anythign but hardcore pvpers
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Carriers spamming pets with tractor beam, my BoP won't see an arena match for a long time...

And please stop giving universal consoles in lock boxes, the other day i was in a pug vs a premade from a fleet rumblelblale o something like that, all the five using Graviton pulse generator, for god sake!
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-06-2012, 10:10 PM
its become all but impossible to attack federation teams with narrow arc weapons. if you don't have 5 tractor beams at once on you, you have near indefinite chrono procs. how can they be so ignorant about pvp to unleash this horror into it?
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. I think there's a lot of room for improvement, but most of the stuff people tend to complain about with regard to PvP doesn't really bother me all that much--seems like a lot of the complaining is hyperbole. Spam doesn't really bother me, for instance. Could Carriers and such use some fine tuning? Sure, what couldn't? But in my relatively short time playing STO, I've always dealt with some degree of spam in PvP, so I guess I've just gotten used to it by now. In any case, I certainly wouldn't rank "spam" among my priority list of things that need attention with regard to PvP. IMO there's much more important issues at hand; spam is a nuisance at worst, and a strategy to employ or overcome at best.

My biggest concern for PvP is that there just isn't much content for it. There's no ranking system, there's no rewards system (like there is for PvE), there's no Open Zone, there's a deficiency in maps and missions, and there's just not a whole lot of incentive or content in general.

My other concern is that it seems like PvE balance takes exponentially higher precedent than PvP balance; and PvP balance suffers severely as a result. I mean, there's tons of potentially viable builds and setups to run with in PvE, and this is one of the really good aspects of STO, but this ceases to remain true for PvP due to a disregard for balance. Out of all the ships, abilities, and setups you could run with, PvPers are generally pigeonholed into a handful of ships total, specific gear compositions, and specific powers setups because there's not a whole lot that is viably effective in a PvP environment like there is in a PvE environment. I bet you'd see a lot less QQ about <insert standard menu of complaints> (reference: "spam") if you opened up more possibilities that are viable in PvP. More viable builds = more diversity = less of the same.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Like a bad carnal experience..
Its still fun but mostly its just getting your fix, messing the curtains and going off to do something else thats makes one feel less humilated.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Like a bad carnal experience..
Its still fun but mostly its just getting your fix, messing the curtains and going off to do something else thats makes one feel less humilated.
I think this is the perfect analogy.