Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
If you don't want to know /anything/ about the upcoming J.J. Abrams Star Trek sequel film, please stop reading right now. This is your warning!

hum

hum

hum

hum

hum

Okay, so, as I'm sure many people know, Trekmovie.Com has confirmed what has been long-suspected: the very talented Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing a version of Khan in Abrams Trek 2. (LINK)

So, it occured to me that The Powers That Be in charge of the Trek franchise may have asked Cryptic to delay a Khan-themed Featured Episode to avoid what studio suits like to call "marketing confusion".

Since, as of this writing, the Khan factor in Abrams Trek 2 is still ostensibly secret, I imagine Cryptic was also warned against revealing why the "Children of Khan" Featured Episode has been de-scheduled.

I'm just guessing here, of course, but it doesn't seem like an impossible sequence of events.

While I don't hate Abrams Trek, and I take it for what it is, personally I would've preferred to play "Children of Khan" in STO, and to see a different villain in Abrams Trek 2. I think if the alt-Trek series is to have any real staying power, it needs to start breaking new story ground.

But hey, that's just my opinion,

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2012, 05:19 AM
I cant see how another abuse of the Star Trek name could postpone a Prime universe mission.

I just think Cryptic got lazy and stopped doing STF's because it's too hard for them to do... Thats also why we wont see the hive.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2012, 06:28 AM
most likely
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-06-2012, 06:39 AM
I don't believe Khan's going to be the "new" film villain. They've started a new timeline to show something new. Khan may be on screen but in a cameo at most. Cumberbatch might be an augment though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-06-2012, 09:48 AM
HAH! Called it! TOTALLY CALLED IT! I knew that during the Prison 4028 prison break, the escape of an augment who followed Khan's teachings would come back as a major story later in the game.

This augment, and the Romulan commander that you arrest while investigating Iconia, both escaped the prison during the riot.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
HAH! Called it! TOTALLY CALLED IT! I knew that during the Prison 4028 prison break, the escape of an augment who followed Khan's teachings would come back as a major story later in the game.

This augment, and the Romulan commander that you arrest while investigating Iconia, both escaped the prison during the riot.
The "Children of Khan" was first announced LONG before the 2800 series was planned... If anything, the 4028 is a convenient addition... not a requirement.

Also... what augment did you say escaped?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Maybe they just can't be bothered to do anything when pushing out a new ship each month brings in the entire payroll
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
What Abrams does or doesn't do has no bearing on the universe and timeline STO takes place in. The first film did in that it WAS connected to the prime Star trek Universe in the way the original Spock crossed over - but at this point forward the to timelines are seperated.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
The "Children of Khan" was first announced LONG before the 2800 series was planned... If anything, the 4028 is a convenient addition... not a requirement.

Also... what augment did you say escaped?
Well alright then, but as someone who did not know of this, when I did the 4028 mission, I knew that the game mentioning that an augment who followed Khan's teachings escaping from the prison was going to lead to a future storyline.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
What Abrams does or doesn't do has no bearing on the universe and timeline STO takes place in. The first film did in that it WAS connected to the prime Star trek Universe in the way the original Spock crossed over - but at this point forward the to timelines are seperated.
I agree. Also, it would not surprise me that Abrams would take his *******aized verson and pervert it even more with an attempt at rehashing the old rivalry between Kirk and Khan.

If the frachise wasn't mortally wounded by the reboot (see Bernard Schieder's site Ex Astris Scientia for his take, I agree with it) this likely will. The cavalier atitude towards the numerous discontiunities (I counted 45) specifically NOT covered by alternate time line shows me that internal consistency means nothing to the people now in charge of the franchise.