Lt. Commander
Well, title says it all. I'm thinking about creating a Nausicaan science officer with focus on energy draining skills.
Along the way to Brigadier General I could pick up the vandal destroyer for the leach console. And as Nausicaan, he should of course command a Guramba at BG level.

Is that workable ? I'm aware that the Nausicaan ships and racial traits scream for a tactical captain, but on the other hand there are these energy leaching devices found on Nausicaan ships (the leech, syphon drones etc.)

And since I already have two tactical captains and no science captain I'm tempted to try something new.

Anyone tried that before and willing to share the results ?

tia
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Sure it works. As a sci vs any other captain your ability to mitigate the damage you take and increase the damage your opponent takes is greater than their ability to do the same. An engineer could possibly come close to doing so, and they do have miracle worker so they are also tough nuts to crack. But you have sub nuc and if you play it well life is good. Don't forget the Breen set or Omega for extra drainage fun!

Oh and for PVE anything will be fine that goes without saying. Just make sure your captain skills match the ship and what you intend to do with it. Your captain powers will take care of themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Subnuke + Javelin.

It's worth experimenting with, I'm sure.

-J
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I already run my Sci BG1 in a Guramba... works great in any combat situation
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the responses. I gave it a try and was very satisfied with it until my first ground mission. 200 pound Nausicaan hinding behind his officers and healing them.
This just didn't feel right. :p
So it's gonna be another tactical captain. Just this time I'll ignore projectile weapons and spec only into beam weapons and flow capacitors.
The science experince has to wait till Romulans come into beeing or they release a warbird as lockbox. Guess the latter is more likely.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Dude you're doing it wrong. You're a Nausicaan. Heal YOURSELF. Tell your bridge "officers" if that's what they want to call themselves, to MAN UP and walk it off. Give them each ONE HYPO per mission and take it out of their pay.

No really. I have a Gorn Science Officer. His ship has a sign over the door where sick bay used to be. Says "All injured please report to the galley for processing". True story. No one wants to be the star at the "Moon Feast"!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurigas View Post
Thanks for the responses. I gave it a try and was very satisfied with it until my first ground mission. 200 pound Nausicaan hinding behind his officers and healing them.
:
Science does have some offensive capabilities, you know. Shield stripping, radiation poisoning, stun blasts, etc. You don't HAVE to be a dedicated healer (and probably shouldn't be... thebest defense is a good offense.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurigas View Post
So it's gonna be another tactical captain. Just this time I'll ignore projectile weapons and spec only into beam weapons and flow capacitors.
The science experince has to wait till Romulans come into beeing or they release a warbird as lockbox. Guess the latter is more likely.
The best fun you can have as Sci involves fire. You can cook whatever looks at you funny and everything else that doesn't very nicely with an Exothermic Induction Field.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, don't get me wrong. I really enjoy playing a science officer. Tricorder scan + exploit attack is great. And jamming a target while stripping the focus fire target of buffs and applying debuffs + throwing a heal here and there is way more fun than the rather onedimensional tac gameplay.

But it just doesn't mix very well with a Nausicaan char. In the end I will create two new chars. Nausicaan tac captain without projectile skills but full points in flow capacitors + Guramba with Breen Set.

Second char science captain, probably something on fed side since neither the fat carriers/lizard ships nor the flimsy BOPs apeal to me. Polaris or Intrepid R look better on paper as compromise between turnrate and basic hitpoints.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2012, 01:50 PM
i have a friend in Garumba, he use a Orion Female (sci) captain, with dual cannons + dual heavy, and full set borg... the damage and regenerative heal is nice... try it