Lt. Commander
# 1 Help! Atrox or Gal-X?!?!
05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, since I've seen the Atrox, I've wanted it. But, I also want the Gal-X. Naturally, I can only get 1, so, can you guys help? Which one is better, worse? What are the pros/cons of both? Thanks in advance!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Question is: What do you want to play like? Big bad evil battleship with a really big gun and a cloaking device that comes out of nowhere, nearly destroys any target with the first shot and then might finish the job quite quickly, or a big carrier with a dozen deadly little friends who might kill an enemy even while you are out of firing range?

Another question that might help you: Do you care for a look that resembles the human way starships are built in Star Trek, or do you like it a little bit more alien?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Like he said, it's up to your personal preferences. However...

...the carrier is unique in its gameplay style, whereas the Galaxy-X is only a slight variation on the cruiser, which also exists as free versions. The laser lance and cloak are just novelty items, which can be fun to use, but don't add as much change to gameplay as fa carrier does. In my opinion of course.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibash
...the carrier is unique in its gameplay style, whereas the Galaxy-X is only a slight variation on the cruiser, which also exists as free versions. The laser lance and cloak are just novelty items, which can be fun to use, but don't add as much change to gameplay as fa carrier does. In my opinion of course.
I agree. In my opinion the biggest change/bang for your buck is the carrier. I have one and I love it. Very versatile with the right build and hangers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywiz
Hey guys, since I've seen the Atrox, I've wanted it. But, I also want the Gal-X. Naturally, I can only get 1, so, can you guys help? Which one is better, worse? What are the pros/cons of both? Thanks in advance!
The Galaxy-X isn't that good, so I'd probably pick the Atrox. If you have an Engineering Officer, you might find it easier to equip your Galaxy-X with the right Bridge Officers, though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Have both and the Atrox wins hands down. The Lance is nice but it's presence sort of forces you to run all phasers to maximize it's output and it is difficult to get anything in it's firing arc after the initial contact with the target.

My Atrox however is an absolute beast of a tank. With my set up I have 16K shields and 56K hull, beam boat. I use Peregrines and either Danubes or Stalkers. I'm also fond of dropping satellite turrets for torps of tetryon beams to help strip shields.

So far the only two times I have died were from Borg invisitorps that crit'd for 180K damage. Nothing else even comes close to denting me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2012, 04:34 AM
You should keep in mind that both ships are slow, the Atrox turns even slower. Just wanted to make this clear, I've already seen people in zone chats who already mothballed their Atrox because they just couldn't handle the turnrate.

Besides that, it depends what you want with your ship. The Gal-X gives you a classic, known cruiser gameplay and you can easily adapt already proven skills and builds for it. The Atrox on the other hand side can neither really be played as a cruiser nor sci ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Ok, so, I'm getting the vibe that the Atrox is a better ship, got it. But, now, on to aesthetics. I love the Atrox, and the Dreadnought. But, I think the Atrox is nicer (Although, i do wish it had the name and number on the actual ship). Also, for roleplaying. I think I would much rather be the Captain of a carrier, where maybe, about 1000 people aboard are civilians, than a warship. So, I think I've made my decision. Thanks, guys!