Lt. Commander
# 21
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
well the defiant interior is a start, albeit an incomplete one (where are the other 2 decks?) and im sure they will release more imcomplete (but pretty)interiors for the 'hero' ships first, then for the others....but i would be surprised if they were more than just the 2 decks we have re-modeled, textured and with correctly scaled engine rooms
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
It is a massive job.

No point having endless rooms/areas on our interior unless they all have purposes. And how many complaints will come in when an area has few features within it?!

Cryptic would create forum trolls in hundreds if they made interiors for the sake of them existing. They need to have functionality and the job of doing that for many different classes of ship is an insane one.

Hell as a developer I would not want that job. I value my health too much. The people working on getting interiors right, for the long run and I'm talking very flexible with lots of use. Well lets just say they will see more grey hairs in the mirror soon.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I have to agree with Zypher that it's a big job. I made a ship interior map for roleplay use (you can search for "Ayanami" by my name, and it should be there), and it took me several hours just to make that single deck, which wasn't even the full deck. Imagine having to make every deck for a full ship, especially with tall ships like the Galaxy (42 decks).
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
I have to agree with Zypher that it's a big job. I made a ship interior map for roleplay use (you can search for "Ayanami" by my name, and it should be there), and it took me several hours just to make that single deck, which wasn't even the full deck. Imagine having to make every deck for a full ship, especially with tall ships like the Galaxy (42 decks).
Cryptic should release some details on the time it takes to create content. Just once. Mail it to every player in game and educate people.

Anyone using Foundry probably gets that education. 50 hours can easily be spent creating and updating a good mission. That is a weeks work for what would probably be no more than 30 min play.

I would love to know what big projects the complainers completes every week to think Cryptic should somehow pull content out of a hat far quicker than they do.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
I made a ship interior map for roleplay use and it took me several hours just to make that single deck, which wasn't even the full deck.
Thats why a create your own interior with the foundry will not work for most players. Devs don't use the same tools to create maps so while it may not be all that quicker for devs it is likey easier for them and that not even counting their experience.

I'm happy to pay CP for the dev time and effort all I ask is for the product.

but if they were to fix anything in the free interior i wish it was the continious red alert in main engineering (which is due to the fact they reused the map from the tutorial)
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCooey View Post
Thats why a create your own interior with the foundry will not work for most players. Devs don't use the same tools to create maps so while it may not be all that quicker for devs it is likey easier for them and that not even counting their experience.

I'm happy to pay CP for the dev time and effort all I ask is for the product.

but if they were to fix anything in the free interior i wish it was the continious red alert in main engineering (which is due to the fact they reused the map from the tutorial)
Apparently you missed the "dependent on tech being developed for Neverwinter" part of my previous posts.

Foundry is going to be a central part of that game, even more so there than in STO, since Neverwinter players will be leveraging the Foundry to effectively act as "Dungeonmasters" for their friends. Tools developed for Neverwinter will make the Foundry much simpler feature for players to use, which will benefit STO players as well, since we'll get that kickback once Neverwinter gets off the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
Apparently you missed the "dependent on tech being developed for Neverwinter" part of my previous posts.
Nope didn't miss it I just know that any tech being developed is not going to include a 3d map editor from what jfinder was saying in another thread. A 2d editor is still going to be time consuming because no one is going to have a flat engineering or bridge and placing something like a chair or console on a sub level is going to require messing on the y or z axis using numbers as your guide and zoning to the map to make sure its placed they way you wanted.

so I stand by my original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinder View Post
We would love to have a 3D editor (we discuss it at least once a month), and we realize how much easier many things would be if you could place things in the world. The biggest issue with this is rendering performance. We have three different rendering paths for 3D models in STO, two that are common in the game industry, and one that is uniquely Cryptic.

The first rendering path is the "Production" path. A lot of optimization is done to render on this path and it is the path you are using in game. When you preview a map in the Foundry, we do that optimization before you enter the map -- it's part of the reason that previewing takes so long.

The second rendering path is the "Debugging" path. This has no optimization, but it is still works fast enough when rendering one to ten models into the world. However, if you are rendering hundreds of models, it gets REALLY SLOW. Like under 10 frames a second slow. Stab your eyes out slow. It's not usable as a 3D editor.

The third rendering path is the "Editing" path. It is halfway between Debugging and Production. It's the 3D path that we use internally for our editors, and it renders decently fast. It just has two problems: it's buggy and it's memory hungry. If we used this path in the Foundry, it would be unusable unless you had at least 4Gigs of RAM (more would be better), and even so it would still crash hundreds of times a day with all you authors out there.

By the way, Second Life has only one code path that they've optimized. That's why it's still so slow; they can't do optimizations that we can do because we know editing isn't done on the Production path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinder View Post
The Production path is designed for NO EDITING to ever go on. Adding editing to the Production path is a big amount of work.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
suddenly i feel like everyone wants my head
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Listen everyone, I thought it over and I openly agree having the entire ship to explore would take to much time to create and design. However it wouldn't hurt to have specific decks like for education, combat practice for your character, cargo bays to hold ship supplies and the like. That's all I'm asking for.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I personally don't want all the decks made. Majority of it would be filled with crew quarters. There be no point. But key locations and designs, that where shown on camera. Should of been in the game at launch. I mean, really. You put the only turbo-lift on the galaxy bridge, in the observation door. And the over sized nonsense has to stop. Only the TOS and Defiant interiors are properly scaled. Is it that hard of a task to allow us to shoot our warp core for fun, and eject it... How about using that built in voice chat to control the turbo-lifts where to go.