Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
So usually a few months if not earlier after a game goes F2P, the company shouts to the rafters, talking about how revenue is up 4000% and people playing are up by 10000s. How come Cryptic hasn't said how good STO has done since F2P?

With some of the stuff D Stahl has been saying about F/E being reviewed (read cancelled), KDF being mothballed (all but), Ships going into the C-store at a expansion prices and confirmation that only 10% of the player base buy anything, is F2P a bit of a flop for STO?

If it is, why?

What makes the other F2P games a success? Even EQ1 has said to have been a success since it went F2P and that gem is over 10 years old.

Is it because people don't like Cryptic products and they have been found out?

Is it because of lock boxes?

Is it because of lack of end game.

Is it the IP?

Or is it just that sandbox games in general are a niche within a niche when it comes to MMos, whereas your theme park ones, tend to get the large majority of people?

To those who think that STO is a success, care to say what makes you think that? Just saying because it's still here doesn't necessarily equate into it being a success.

Anyone up for a spar?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
With some of the stuff D Stahl has been saying about F/E being reviewed (read cancelled), KDF being mothballed (all but), Ships going into the C-store at a expansion prices and confirmation that only 10% of the player base buy anything, is F2P a bit of a flop for STO?
Youíve made some pretty brazen statements here. Care to share your sources?

Nothing youíve mentioned here has anything to do with Crypticís decision to go F2P or their profitability therein. They already had a fair amount to say about FTP and how successful it is, so Iím not sure what you want them to do. If you are talking about a public statement, now is probably not the best time for them given the recent revelation of their huge data breach.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Cryptic has never been a fan of publishing their numbers...

But... If you ask me... No... I don't think STO is doing as well as cryptic hoped...

Sure, when FE's are going on there is a ton of people online, but take a look around inside the game, or here on the forums... It's the same names... the same faces... I am pretty sure I know all the names I see in sector space when I pass them...

The game is not exactly packed with end game content, and what content there is... Is either gated or so badly designed that it becomes a nasty grind after a very short time.
And that is why people are only here for the FE's... and if people are only here for FE's... thats the only time they get money... Wich is bad for a F2P game.

Now I am confident someone from cryptic will be along shortly and try to make a fool of me with some unfounded statement that I am wrong, but wont provide evidence to the oppersite.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
That's all okay, games with fewer players tend to have a better male/female ratio.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I stopped caring about "how well cryptic was doing" and started asking myself "how much fun am I having" for what I put into the game be it time or dollars. You see I think if number two is right, number one will take care of itself. The evidence says there are issues some where. Evidence to me is how much content they are putting out and of what type, as well as how much support is rolling in. After all, I can only comment on what I see. Let's be frank...

After two years, the B'tran cluster? It's still has the same bugged exploration missions and content is turning to lock boxes, "foundry mission advertising" and re-rewards for playing older content, with C-Store ships each month that seem underwhelming for the dollars.

I mean should a lock box ship have better interior features be it Dabo and exchange access than a $20 Fed flag ship of the fleet?

IPersonally, I can't justify what I spend to have fun with STO any longer compared to what I get from an actual subscription based game. And I fear there is something eating at the community... So close to being a great game. But I can't tolerate where its going.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Originally Posted by Solomace
It could very well be not be doing as well as they hoped, or it could be doing as well or better then they hoped; but all MMOs keep that info close to the vest. They have stated in posts and Blogs that at the release of the last FE the cioncurrent user numbers were the highest they've ever been, etc; and during the Christmas event, it was stated teh 'grab bags' bought in more revenue then any other C-Store item to date (and I too, hate the Lockbox paradigm; have never bought a key, and never will, and destry any Lockbox that ends up in my Inventory) but obviously the bulk of the playing playerbase doesn't - as evidenced by the facty they keep doing them - and they wouldn't if players weren't buying keys. An Lockboxes seem a staple of Wstern F2P games in general of late as DCUO, LoTRO and others have lockbox type things as well.

As to:

Quote:
confirmation that only 10% of the player base buy anything
That seems to be the norm for F2P games in general (based on what I've read around the net of F2P games) - that 10% are really into using the RMT store; and the rest really do just play for free or make the very occassional RMT item buy.

It's supposedly more profitable then the $15 sub model in the long run because said 10% usually spend way more than $15 a month and as there's no 'box cost' - that 10% is probably close to what the paying subcriber base was; but yeah, until F2P games make their financials public; we won't know how much less or more profitable the method is in the long run in the western market,

That said, the trend seems to be to take more MMOs F2P moving forward (from a variety of MMO developers); so the accounting folks must see something that leads them to think the model is more profitable for their MMOs.

But, in the end, I think the only way we'll lnow if F2P was considered a failure with STO is if PWE decides to close down the game; or CBS decides to not renew th Star Trek MMO IP agreement with Cryptic.

in the end, I guss it all boils down to if you're still getting any enjoyment out of the game; and as long as that's th case, why worry about things you as a player have no control over? When it gets to the point you no longer enjoy the game; or don't like the new content being developed, or te direction the Dev team is taking the game - you can move on to another game you like; and check back on STO periodically (or not.)

But, at least for the new crop of F2P players, they never spent $30 - $60 on a client box; and aren't really out all that much as nothing in the C-Store is required to play and advance to max level in STO. If they ever used teh C-Store, that was their personal choice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
who knows and who cares. as long as the game is still open and there is new stuff coming i could not care less what the exact numbers are.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I can get the numbers for you later on today (provided my source is up). If you wait until the quarterly calls, they give a good insight to the numbers against expectations.

One thing I do remember from the last time I saw them was that once STO went F2P, they had quite a large increase in paying subs...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isror View Post
I can get the numbers for you later on today (provided my source is up). If you wait until the quarterly calls, they give a good insight to the numbers against expectations.

One thing I do remember from the last time I saw them was that once STO went F2P, they had quite a large increase in paying subs...
How can you get numbers, that the company holding, does not disclose to the public?
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
How can you get numbers, that the company holding, does not disclose to the public?
Various resources, including colleagues and friends that work for multiple gaming companies (via contract as testers, consultants ect).They have them.

And YES, during the quarterly financial calls, they release subscription ranges. You can find them in .mp3 format if you don't mind sitting through other nonsense.

To clarify further, these individuals don't work for a company, more as they are the company; long time gaming industry individuals who have been involved in more pre-alpha work than most of us gaming in beta's combine.