Lt. Commander
It seems like I've reached a point where the great majority of all my engineering, science, medical, and tactical assignments require using up massive quantities of rare commodities like Ferasan Nepeta Leaves, Unrefined Ketracel White, Shapeshifting Lockets, Jevonite, Tulaberries, and all of the rest of them.

Acquiring these items is rare enough as it is, but whatever happened to recommending treating minor burns and lacerations for my medical officers? Now it's all "Research practical applications for Shapeshifting Lockets" and "Supply nearby outpost with Jevonite alloy" and all that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 05:25 AM
A short answer to your question: No, not every mission requires rare materials.

There are enough common, uncommon and rare missions you can solve without those rare commodities.

Try to start with the colonisation assigment chains. If you solve such a mission chain, you recieve a rare duty officer. Later you can reenter the cluster to solve a rare mission which has a common refugee duty officer or a very rare duty officer on critical.

You can use the common refugee duty officers for special missions were you can earn uncommon or better duty officers.

You need special commodities to power up the alien artefacts. All of those rare commoditiues can be earned by:

1. Entering a Cluster and scanning for anomalies
2. Some science Duty officer missions will give you 1-2 rare commodities as a reward on critical.

The other rare commodities can be earned by solving missions as well. Just collect them until you have enough of them for the next assignment.

This is a game for month, not for days. Some assigment chains need time. I play those missions for month and I have not solved all assigment chains.

So if you play clever, you do not to spent money in the c-store or energycredits in the exchange. All you need is patience. Take your time. Do the missions you have the materials and duty officers.

Each mission you end successfull will push you forward.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Just a nomenclature correction: Powering the artifact does not require "commodities," it requires Particle Traces, which you receive from scanning anomalies (both in the exploration cluster sector space and in most instanced system/ground maps) and from crits on Science/Exploration assignments that normally reward Data Samples.

To the OP: if you're seeing too many Engineering assignments requiring the rare commodities, then I suggest getting out of Cardassian space for a bit, since they only appear there. You'll find a different mix of assignments elsewhere.

To find the "Treatment for X" Medical assignments, go to the Department Heads tab and click on the Assignments button for the Medical department.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Uhh, thank you for that elaborate explanation, but I've been playing since the game went Free To Play. I'm already a Federation Ambassador with level 4 in diplomacy, level 3 in development, and level 2 in everything else.

What I'm saying is that when my engineering, colonial, science, and medical categories were level 0 or level 1, I was getting common, easy to do missions left and right. Now that both are nearing level 3, *almost everything* that my department heads are recommending all require rare commodities at this point.

If not rare commodities, then it's a Gamma Quadrant mission that requires officers who need to have Resolve as a requirement to succeed, in which case I'm understaffed for those missions because I can't find anyone who has those traits, and those that do, don't have the CLASS requirement to succeed the mission. I have no security officers with resolve. That prevents me from doing at least a dozen of those missions right there.

What very few are left after that are the common ones I was doing when I started at level 0.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
If not rare commodities, then it's a Gamma Quadrant mission that requires officers who need to have Resolve as a requirement to succeed, in which case I'm understaffed for those missions because I can't find anyone who has those traits, and those that do, don't have the CLASS requirement to succeed the mission. I have no security officers with resolve. That prevents me from doing at least a dozen of those missions right there.
Well those assignments were added when the Cardassian Lockbox come, then come the Gamma Quadrant DOFF Pack.

There was a effort to make them more attainable, the DOFF compactor now give DOFFs with Resolve and Spiritual and those Gamma Quadrant commodities can be found in trading assigments.

The problem I see is this really pushed people doing assignments into staying on the Cardassian space, the problems you have a inherited design were DOFFs are for most part random, the entire system still hangs by luck.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
do the chains that is how you get them
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
My science officer is also being plagued by these Gamma Quadrant missions, and she technically hasn't even set foot in Beta, Alpha, or Zeta yet. She's still dealing with the Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
My science officer is also being plagued by these Gamma Quadrant missions, and she technically hasn't even set foot in Beta, Alpha, or Zeta yet. She's still dealing with the Romulans.
The way things are set in terms of pacing and DOFF availability you will be pretty much a Vice-Admiral before you can have the DOFFs to tackle those missions.

Unless you buy DOFF packs that is ... and still due to cooldown timers you will end up being Vice-Admiral before reaching Tier 2 commendation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
My Tactical has been a VA for 2 years now and he still doesn't have the right officers to tackle most of those missions. :/