Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Here are some ideas for Multi-users Starbase during space combat.

Facts
Starbases are much bigger than a lot of starships. They have a lot of systems that it would be hard for one person to control every thing.

Here are Deep Space 9 Weapon stats:
48 phaser arrays
48+ torpedo launchers
6 Landing Pads for Danube class Shuttles

They can also target many enemies at once. That will be hard for one player to do.

Ideas
A team of 5 players should control a starbase. Four of the players would control one section of four weapons sections. Weapon sections are organized into areas know as bow, port, starboard, and stern.
Each player can only fire weapons in their section and firing range to their side only. Firing Arcs can cover each other sections.
The only player who can't fire weapons is the 5th player who is the Support Officer.

Each weapon on the starbase is listed as a target to the enemy force and weapon systems can go offline when damage. The player of that section can't repair his weapons. Only the Support Officer player can repair weapons.

Weapon Officer players can use Tactical and some Science Skills.
Support Officer player can use Engineering, Healing Science Skills, and launch shuttles.

Note: Starbase could be also setup to have 3 Weapons Officers and 2 Support Officers. Depending on testing this setup?

If too many starships attacks a starbase and its hard to track the targets moving into another weapon section. That why players should be able to tag a ship. So another Weapon Officer can fire at damage ships who moved another section to heal themselves.

Conclusions
Players would have to teamwork together to make sure that key enemies are destroy than returning later repaired.
The Support Officer has to watch all sides of the station and repair key systems.
All team members will have to watch out for enemies flank attacking one side of the station.

What do you think for this setup? Questions or anything too add?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-07-2012, 01:08 PM
It would definitely be fun but not sure how possible it would be to create.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
It would definitely be fun but not sure how possible it would be to create.
Splitting a base into several smaller segments, positioned closely together, and allow for a takeover by a player...

I for one, don't like the idea, but it IS interesting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
yeah i would much rather fly my ship around defending the base than be stuck in one spot controlling part or all of the base itself.

also what role if any the starbase will play in combat hasn't been dsicussed by any dev post I've seen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Splitting a base into several smaller segments, positioned closely together, and allow for a takeover by a player...

I for one, don't like the idea, but it IS interesting.
If you worry about a player leaving the game and no one controlling that side of the station?
The Support Officer player could step in and control that area and still use support skills or a AI would take control of that section of the base.

If one person controls a station? How many targets do you think he could track and aim?
Having 3 or 4 Weapon Officers make it easier than tracking 360 degrees of hell.
More enemy ships are harder to track also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
yeah i would much rather fly my ship around defending the base than be stuck in one spot controlling part or all of the base itself.

also what role if any the starbase will play in combat hasn't been dsicussed by any dev post I've seen.
You can still fly your ship and defend the base.

But would you like a player behind the guns at the station attacking key targets? Than a AI randomly shooting at small ships than the big ones.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRasseru
If you worry about a player leaving the game and no one controlling that side of the station?
The Support Officer player could step in and control that area and still use support skills or a AI would take control of that section of the base.

If one person controls a station? How many targets do you think he could track and aim?
Having 3 or 4 Weapon Officers make it easier than tracking 360 degrees of hell.
More enemy ships are harder to track also.
unless everyone is focus firing on 1 spot (since shields go by facing) and you've got 1 player with less weapons to handle it whereas 4 others are sitting idle.

and again I'm not so sure the stations will be part of combat, look at the starbase 24 fleet action.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
unless everyone is focus firing on 1 spot (since shields go by facing) and you've got 1 player with less weapons to handle it whereas 4 others are sitting idle.

and again I'm not so sure the stations will be part of combat, look at the starbase 24 fleet action.
The "Firing Arcs" would be like your ship's weapons. The Weapon Officer on the Bow side can shoot at some targets on Port and Starboard. It would be like this for any other Weapon Officers.
Every one will have 90, 180 , 250, maybe 360 weapons.
If this was a Fleet Starbase? You could pick what weapons you want to have and the firing arcs you wish to have.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.