Lt. Commander
Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of foundry assets anywhere?

Something with:

A. A decent full-sized photo(s)
B. A fairly detailed (and accurate) discription
C. Notes about how the asset can be used in creative ways
D. Technical details of the asset, ie. it's real size, if it is a dupe of another asset, what maps it loads to, etc.

I looked on the wiki but couldn't find anything, perhaps I missed it? If it doesn't exist, would anyone be interested in compiling it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
There are more than 3.000 objects in the foundry. So if someone made one entry each day then creating this database would take around 9-10 years.

If you are up for the job, then by all means, go for it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
That's where a good wiki with hundreds of people contributing would come in handy...
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
If you get half of it done, the rest of the foundry authors will watch you while you add the other half. Deal to me. When do you start?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Actually I have wiki software, and own my own hosting. If I did ten a day, it would be finished in a year. With just one person doing the same, it would be finished in six months.

My only problem is that while I do have wiki software, I do not understand wiki's very well. I also wanted to make sure that this wasn't already being done somewhere. It's a large job, but not too much for one man to do, given a year to do it. Besides, i'm pretty sure I'd have help.
I''m just not very good with setting up a wiki, and I know that the wiki would need to be maintained as well, because people will vandalize it, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This may be a silly question, but why not add it to STOWiki or ask if Starbase UGC is interested in hosting a foundry oriented wiki?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Well I checked around and nobody seems to be doing it. I guess there seems to be no interest, or very little interest. The way I see it, I'll be doing the major part of the job, and it looks like a hefty job at this point, and if i'm going to be doing all that work, I will want to be in control of the project.

Again if someone else is already doing this, I'd like to know about it, as it will save (everyone) wasted time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I am bumping this thread because I still want to do this. I have no problem doing the grunt work. I have my own servers and software. What I am lacking is wiki experience. I don't know the first thing about setting up a wiki with all the templates, etc. I can use some of the wiki markup language to do a few simple things, but I am completely ignorant of how to do any of the cool and necessary stuff.

I need a wiki-master.

Does anyone out there know about setting up a wiki? This is the only thing standing in the way.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Okay this may be a stupid question, but with the shear amount of items that are on the foundry wouldn't it be easier to setup some sort of website style rather than a wiki? A whole wiki page per item might be a bit more work than necessary. Perhaps just organize the items into different categories and then have a table of contents linking to the specific description lower on the page. Sorry I know I'm probably not explaining that very well.

Another example of what I mean is almost like a forum thread. The first "post" would be the table of contents for each category and then the following "posts" would be the small item description. So for example say in the buildings category you clicked on "Vulcan 2 story building" that would direct you down the page to where the "Vulcan 2 story building" description and image would be. It's like how the find tool works.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Assistance
06-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Sadly, I'm tech challenged when it comes to that as well, but I would be willing to take a section of the assets and help out.
If enough of us did a certain section, say Klingon Ships, and sent it on to a database or the like, I'd bet we could get it done within a month.
Anyway, I'm in for helping.
Were you thinking of assets screenshots by placing them on a map and Screenshotting them? That might be the best way to get the best look at the asset itself, in lieu of the small pictire we get in the Foundry.
Let me know via E-mail or this thread, but you can count me in as well woghd.

I'd also be willing to try setting it up as a forum on my fleet's website. Let me know what you think.

Duke-of-Rock