Lt. Commander
# 11
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
My knowledge of wikis dies when it comes to creating templates. I know how to use them, but I simply lack the knowledge to create them with any skill. I've seen wiki's where things are set into categories. An item can be in many categories at once.

For example, a glowing purple stalactite:

We could have a screen shot or two of it, a reasonable description, comments from people who have used it, and it could show up in several categories such as "interior", "light sources", "large objects", "Objects with many uses"

I would LOVE to be able to know the actual measurements, if I have to raise it to see it, and that the tip of it makes a good candle to put with the candle flame effect, if I bury the rest of it in the floor.

I am prepared to do this whole project myself. I've already calculated that it will take a year. If a few help out, yeah we can knock the time down to almost nothing. The only real thing we are missing is a wiki-pro.

Does ANYONE here grok wikis?
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-07-2012, 10:38 PM
A wiki template is just a wiki page that is prefixed with the keyword "Template". Whenever a template is included in a wiki page, its data is formatted according to the format defined in the Template: page.

I would be happy to assist on the condition that the information is added to an existing STO community supported site, such as STOWiki or to StarbaseUGC. If this is to be done, let it be created in a central location for the community to use.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
This resource would be a god send!

I support this
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
I am bumping this thread because I still want to do this. I have no problem doing the grunt work. I have my own servers and software. What I am lacking is wiki experience. I don't know the first thing about setting up a wiki with all the templates, etc. I can use some of the wiki markup language to do a few simple things, but I am completely ignorant of how to do any of the cool and necessary stuff.

I need a wiki-master.

Does anyone out there know about setting up a wiki? This is the only thing standing in the way.
I recommend going with WikiDot (http://www.wikidot.com). It's free and it's pretty easy to use. You can also do offline backups (to a degree) and won't have to worry about hosting. If you have vandalism problems you can also use their security features to restrict potential problem users with better granularity than a lot of other systems.

Edit: I should clarify why you would likely not be too enamored with hosting your own wiki. Long story short it is not just the wiki you need to worry about, you have to worry about the back end, and that can be complicated. You don't mention your experience with Unix/Linux in there, but you need to know how to use the shell and such. Being able to read/write C, PHP, SQL and/or HTML are also major pluses depending on what software you're using and if you need it to do any special tricks. Although I'm rusty, I still know a good bit about using Linux on a daily basis, but if I were you I would strongly consider using Wikidot anyway, if nothing more than to spare my own sanity from worrying about things like patching the server for security updates and the like.