Lt. Commander
# 11
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
If cryptic thinks the FE's are too expensive, it's only because of their own stubbornness...

For some reason they insistingly try to top themselves on each new episode, witch is stupid... If there is one thing people have shown, it's that they prefer an engaging story over massive effects... yea... Sure... walking outside of DS9 was cool and all that, and bajor is pretty...

But was those needed? No... people in fact seemed to criticize the bajor mission, being only a filler to introduce the bajoran map...

A well written story that will engage the audience, will always trumph a bunch of nice effects.

If cryptic can't see that, then they need to remove their blindfold.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Which was completely their own choice, and not some "requirement" of making FEs in general. Sure, they may have needed to have a DS9 exterior map for that mission, but they are also the ones who choose to tell that story. They can choose to tell stories that make use of things they have already made and it wouldnt require as much expense to make the mission.
At the same time, if they put out a new FE that just uses a combination of the old Devidian map from Night of the Comet, the Fluidic Space map and one of the random, indistinguishable station/outpost interior maps, people would complain about that, too. A DS9 FE was absolutely needed because it's an iconic place that was at the center of a 6 year series. Just like they had to make missions that included the Enterprise, and had to have us visit Wolf-359, etc.

Cheap work looks cheap. Quality work is expensive. I've seen a lot of game put out cheap updates/content and then spend even more hours debugging the problems and trying to fix them while players and money bled away. This *IS* a business, and it's supposed to make money. But people often forget the second half of that arrangement is that the service offered for that money has to be desirable to consumers. Name brands and major IPs like Star Trek come with an expected level of quality, and if they fail to consistently deliver that quality, the brand suffers.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Well ... I only play the game during FE anymore ... soo this would be Goodbye ....

I don't get the whole "You only play it once ... - Statement either .... I'm replaying FE's more often, than all those time gated Event - Stuff, which imho gets really boring after the second time ...

PS : I highly doubt the DS9 FE was more expansive than the Romulan FE .... most of the maps were recycled ... and besides Environmental Suits there was nothing new ....
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altrocks
At the same time, if they put out a new FE that just uses a combination of the old Devidian map from Night of the Comet, the Fluidic Space map and one of the random, indistinguishable station/outpost interior maps, people would complain about that, too. A DS9 FE was absolutely needed because it's an iconic place that was at the center of a 6 year series. Just like they had to make missions that included the Enterprise, and had to have us visit Wolf-359, etc.

Cheap work looks cheap. Quality work is expensive. I've seen a lot of game put out cheap updates/content and then spend even more hours debugging the problems and trying to fix them while players and money bled away. This *IS* a business, and it's supposed to make money. But people often forget the second half of that arrangement is that the service offered for that money has to be desirable to consumers. Name brands and major IPs like Star Trek come with an expected level of quality, and if they fail to consistently deliver that quality, the brand suffers.
By that analasys, most of the game should look cheap... Wolf 359 for instance is a ugly bunch of under worked crappy models junked together... Or K7... Or Starbase sierra (wich is a clear product of a fast toss-together solution and a re-used office wich isnt really that good looking)... Or the explore sectors, wich ar black boxes with (not so)random appearing dots...

But it isn't...

One of the things I had to learn as a web developer, is that sometimes, you need to stick with what you already have, and build and expand upon it to get the most "Bang for the buck".

You can easily reuse existing maps, and locations... You can even used the time to enhance the maps rather than re-making them... Minimum effort, with maximum gain.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2012, 03:51 AM
i would say as long as they can add lockboxes to the event, and as long as people will pay real dollars for CP then with each new FE, the FE would be paid for by the lockboxes. i would not be surprised by devidian and romulan/reman Lockboxes beeing in line to come out. perhaps breen ones too.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-08-2012, 04:03 AM
I still want to see FE but just scale back some of the costs. I imagine the Vo and the cutscenss are taking up a chunk of the money. well just cut them down or out all togther.

I still want to see new enemy groups and mechanics and things but just scale it back a little.

Both the devidian series and cloaked intentions were fine. If 2800 cost more then look back to how those two were done and copy that structure, or go for more stand alone episodes. 2 or 3 part stories. does not have to be 5 per series.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
By that analasys, most of the game should look cheap... Wolf 359 for instance is a ugly bunch of under worked crappy models junked together... Or K7... Or Starbase sierra (wich is a clear product of a fast toss-together solution and a re-used office wich isnt really that good looking)... Or the explore sectors, wich ar black boxes with (not so)random appearing dots...

But it isn't...

One of the things I had to learn as a web developer, is that sometimes, you need to stick with what you already have, and build and expand upon it to get the most "Bang for the buck".

You can easily reuse existing maps, and locations... You can even used the time to enhance the maps rather than re-making them... Minimum effort, with maximum gain.
Wolf 359 is confusing. I've never counted them, but it seems as if there are more than 39 hulks there. And what is that noise that the memorial sounds? The wiki claims it's supposed to be "comm chatter from the battle", but it doesn't sound like that to me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01
Wolf 359 is confusing. I've never counted them, but it seems as if there are more than 39 hulks there. And what is that noise that the memorial sounds? The wiki claims it's supposed to be "comm chatter from the battle", but it doesn't sound like that to me.
I can't answer either of your questions... I've been there twice, before I realized it was yet another filler...
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I can't answer either of your questions... I've been there twice, before I realized it was yet another filler...
I don't go there often, but have used it (occasionally) to meet up with friends - particuarly the ones who are newer to the game, as it's a central location, there are not usually too many other players there and it's easy to find.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Which was completely their own choice, and not some "requirement" of making FEs in general. Sure, they may have needed to have a DS9 exterior map for that mission, but they are also the ones who choose to tell that story. They can choose to tell stories that make use of things they have already made and it wouldnt require as much expense to make the mission.
Indeed.
  • New Mini-Game? The isolinear chip game is really annoying - very simple but unfun to play. They'd need to at least create something of the levels of Mass Effect 2 Hacking for it to be even worth it, and then they can easily reuse it in lots of contexts.
  • Holographic Guards? Seemed rather pointless to me and don't even seem to be a solid security concept, so story-wise, weak. The rest of the map was fine and I see that it could take a lot of work.
  • Space Walk? Okay, cool stuff. But we don't need a new variant space walks in every FE. And for the story, was it really that relevant?
  • Bajor definitely felt like a filler mission. There wasn't really a story there, and the story that was there was under-utilized. (Bajoran distrust of the Federation and Klingons)