Lt. Commander
# 1 Why Make No New Content?
05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I simply don't understand why Cryptic doesn't make new content. Is it so expensive? Time consuming?
I suppose it doesnt bring in the money like the time devoted to C-Store items do or a stupid little mining quest thing. But for this to be a real MMO, it has to be more interactive and with more flexibile, repeatable quest things. I just dont see it. The DOFF system is the closest they've come to a repeatable, living system. Maybe if they integrate crafting somehow into diplomacy or building DOFF missions on a planet or something it might be worthwhile.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2012, 12:29 AM
I understand that what new content is coming in June, is gated like the Vault 5 man, and the Defera Borg Invasion..... which I never play, because it's not on my schedule.

I guess since this is free to play, Cryptic wants us to play on their terms, and our wants be damned,.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Well it's more expansive than Lock Box Ships and they don't get money for Story Missions ... on the other hand after all Iconic ST Ships (Breen Ship, Borg Cube) are released in a year or so ... no-one will pay anymore except they might have a reason to play the game which would be Content ....

Right now Cryptic seems to be on the Gravy-Train ... but the backswing might hit them hard ....
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Though have posted this in another thread (on the same subject) thought would re-post it here:

I really enjoy this game in general, but have to admit am pretty annoyed at the fact that the game will apparently be following the time-honored Star Trek tradition of leaving storylines unfinnished and plots hanging.

You could bet that if they do introduce anything - the Tholias for example - they'll go the way of the Iconians. In otherwords, there'll be a build-up and we will subsequently learn less and less about what they were up to as time passes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Why build content when it is cheaper and quicker to build C-Store fluff and or lockbox fluff, knowing the hordes will buy it?

Content = long term game growth
C-Store / lockbox fluff = short term gain.

It is obvious which Cryptic / PWE are looking for from this game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I was kind of afraid of that myself. This repugnant marketing scheme they're bent on really does nothing to address the long term health of the game. For the short term, yeah, the stupid are always willing to be fleeced, but eventually word WILL get around. What happens when no one is Free to Playing anymore after six months of this kind of crap?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon760 View Post
I simply don't understand why Cryptic doesn't make new content. Is it so expensive? Time consuming?
I suppose it doesnt bring in the money like the time devoted to C-Store items do or a stupid little mining quest thing. But for this to be a real MMO, it has to be more interactive and with more flexibile, repeatable quest things. I just dont see it. The DOFF system is the closest they've come to a repeatable, living system. Maybe if they integrate crafting somehow into diplomacy or building DOFF missions on a planet or something it might be worthwhile.
Because what Players consider content, is different to what Cryptic consider to be content. C-Store is not new content, Mission Replay is not new content, lock boxes is not new content, promoting Foundry is not new content. Anything produced by Cryptic that provides them with a financial return is considered content by Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2012, 02:18 AM
I remember seeing somewhere that cryptic have currently only writer for new missions, this would limit how much and when they can release new content. I think the rerunning of missions this month is good for new players to get the limited time rewards for completing them, it gives us soemthing to do while cryptic put the final touches for season 6 which will be with us soon.
If you want more content may i suggest the foundry missions? plenty to keep you entertained until the new content is released
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2012, 02:28 AM
they are making new missions and content. when have they ever said they are not?

they recently made the 2800, alphas and the vault and mining event, adding some more missions to the defera invasion, restructured a few fleet actions to make them better, added a couple of temporary missions for events (probably should have remained permanent missions) and they are now making fleet starbases, restructuring fleet advancement, finally working on new pvp, 20 man fleet actions, a new tholian ground invasion and some several other 5 man content.

now some of that is going to be time gated, and some of that is only going to appeal to some people which we can debate the rights and wrongs of it but there is plenty of stuff coming for those that want to play it.

that is stopping them from making new story episode missions for the time being but if they are making one they cant make the other. maybe soon because their team is growing they can start to do these extra things and still make missions at the same time but that will still take time for the new guys to get trained up until they are ready.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2012, 02:38 AM
could be worse this game seems to have more content than wow had in first 2 years aside from klingon side. And wow charged a big 60 dollars for access to that new content each year. I can understand 1 new mission every 2 months without that big ticket upgrade cost. Plus new ships added monthly lately.