Lt. Commander
# 1 Summer Blockbusters
05-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Hey guys this is my first thread so give me a little slack. Okay, we all know there's a new ST movie slated to come out in the next year or maybe this year but not in the Summer, and the rumored new series in TV is a long way off so in the mean time we have some really cool super hero movies. One just started playing, The Avengers which almost broke the box office in the first showing since it was the biggest showing of all time according to the media. 200 million in my home country of America and 641 million worldwide!

Since Tony had his day back in his suit of Armor its time for the other two to bask in the lime light, everyone loved the Avengers even if were a DC fan but, however the war of the comic book camps will ignite again since two of pop cultures most celebrated comics are coming out in June and July. One gets a much needed face lift the other gets even darker in tone if that's even possible, i will lay the ground work and then post the best trailers so you guys can see for yourself, these two movies are:

The Dark Knight Rises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk

The Amazing Spider-man (not to be confused with the first Trilogy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpKPiHYJc54&ob=av3e
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Ill start off with the Dark Knight Rises, to me this movie just by looking at the trailer is really really dark, and almost apocalyptic, since the actor who played the Joker past away as we all know, since the Joker is well a little off, they needed someone equally screwed in the head so they chose Bane as the main baddy which when you first hear that your thinking about the lame Batman and Robin flick with that Bane, the dumb basically muscle head with that unsightly venom tubes. This Bane is the direct opposite, hes really smart, cunning and is as deadly as the plague, basically Batman in his rawest form without morals. Also they introduce Anne Hathaway as Catwomen, so that may or may not work out, time will tell. So get your Batarangs out you DC heads this gonna be one wild ride.

In the other camp however, Marvel will do a revamp of Spider-man again, which was much needed, and is a major improvement at first glance. They replaced the whiny Parker played by Toby Maguire, and bear in mind folks, the writers screwed the character up for the first trilogy not the actor. We can relate since we all hate Wesley in TNG lol or at least most of us do. They put in a smart headstrong Parker, that not only can kick serious tail but cracks jokes while doing it just like we all remember This is based more on the actual comic instead of the mix and mash movie Sam Rami's was. This Spidey shoots webs from web shooters just like what he was intended to do in the comics and TV shows. The suit itself is slightly different in design and harkens back to the Ultimate Spiderman version. The girl in this or Pete's girlfriend is Gwen Stacy, not MJ which makes more sense, because MJ came after she did in the comics, and they casted someone decent to play it, unlike the last Spidey gal. The bad guy in this is Doc Connors or as like to call Lizard head, no Gobby which again is more accurate in lore than the first one. So grab your gal, get the Spidey T on and get ready to take a trip down memory lane. And see Spidey the right way!

So what camp do you guys belong in, please post your opinion about both movies, and that includes the Devs out there too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm pretty skeptical on both of these movies. Moreso on Spider-man, though. I understand the need to reboot with the studio change and everything, but they could have done what they did with other characters and just quietly ignore the fact. I also always preferred the movie Spider-man's organic webs to the artificial ones from the comics, simply because they don't need an explanation that eats up screen time and hurts the flow of the movie. Heck, even in the comics, the Spider-man knockoffs all provided their own webs. I guess this movie dwells on Robert Parker a lot, and he made the things, so maybe it won't be as bad as I fear, but it's still a power that works better without elaborate explanation.

Dark Knight Rises, I'm just uneasy if they can make lightning strike a third time. They're also bringing in Bane, and Bane's history outside of comics isn't great. Even a lot of the comic writers don't seem to get him. You can say the same for Joker, though, but it takes a special kind of writer or actor to really pull off crazy and not just PMS, and Dark Knight did that character better justice than the majority of his comic appearances.

Also, I'd like to say that the Hulk stole the show in Avengers. I still get giggle fits when I think of the scene near the end between him and Loki. My cat's name is Loki, and some days I really want to do that to him.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I can't believe they are ending it with Catwoman and Bane. They need Penguin, Ivy, Mr. Freeze and Robin to come in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
IDark Knight Rises, I'm just uneasy if they can make lightning strike a third time. They're also bringing in Bane, and Bane's history outside of comics isn't great. Even a lot of the comic writers don't seem to get him. You can say the same for Joker, though, but it takes a special kind of writer or actor to really pull off crazy and not just PMS, and Dark Knight did that character better justice than the majority of his comic appearances.
This is Chris Nolan we're talking about. Honestly? I have only one word: "Knightfall."

If that comes in to it at all, then the movie should be worth a look!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I've never understood the love of the Batman films, Dark Knight is the one of the most overrated films in my opinion and the Joker was wooden and boring. But then when people die they suddenly become more popular, I know that's a little insensitive but it's true.
I would like to know what people see in them though, out of curiosity, short of randomly spouting "OMG ITS SO KEWL!!1"
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Dark Knight was good, even though they overplayed Havey Dent (his transformation to two face should just have been a spolier for a subsequent movie).

I do like what I hear about how they are handling the bane plot though, so I am optimistic.

As for Spidey, a reboot so soon bothers me. If they have to change actors, why sweat it? Not like bond hasn't been a different actor every couple movies and it has worked just fine for that franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Your missing Prometheus and Total Recall from the Blockbuster list.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
The DC vs Marvel thing won't really determine ticket sales. I can guarantee you Batman fans went to see Marvel's The Avengers, and that Avengers fans will see the "final" Batman.

I gave the Avengers 4.5 stars on Rotten Tomatoes.

I look forward to Batman, but I'll wait to see some reviews before I spend any money on it. When there's so much hype for a release, the outcome is either terrific, or horrible. There's never an in-between. For those complaining on using Bane for the finale, it's possible they may be teasing the followers in the off-chance that he breaks Batman's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
As for Spidey, a reboot so soon bothers me. If they have to change actors, why sweat it? Not like bond hasn't been a different actor every couple movies and it has worked just fine for that franchise.
I don't mind the reboot of Spiderman being so soon. It looks like a darker take on the franchise, such as Nolan's Batman Begins was on the Batman franchise.

As for the Bond argument, it was addressed in the newest series of James Bond movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Your missing Prometheus and Total Recall from the Blockbuster list.
TBH, I'm kind of fearing even attempting to watch Prometheus, B/C I'm tired of seeing the Alien franchise go sooooooooooooo downhill. I may give it a try, but if I get smacked in the face by my own palm again, I will be done with supporting Dark Horse Comics, the Alien franchise and even H.R. Giger for allowing his work to be demolished into acidic green goop.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Probably go see the new Spiderman. It looks like this one has an actual sense of humor which might make it better all by itself, have to see. Definitely seeing Prometheus as well. I have a feeling it won't live up to the hype, but it won't horrid either. It'll just be kinda "Meh that was 'okay' ". Very skeptical though given all the campaigning they're doing for it with the Weyland Corp. thing. Movies that made this big of a push have been horrid or just fell flat in the past (Cloverfield, 2012, countless others).
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Prometheus and Imaginaerum are the two films I'm looking forward to the most this year