Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_riker01 View Post
I'm going to jump in here with the end all arguement which no one can overcome.

The EXCALIBUR-class is a 25th century version of a CONSTITUTION-class, which means all design flaw, limited ability, cannot keep up with the times non-sense goes out the window.

And yet, the Excalibur-class is pulverized by the antiquated Intrepid-class and oh yes my personal favorite example of "we must keep it cannon": the EXCELSIOR-class.
That's easier to overcome than you think. I object to the existence of "redesigns" of older (some MUCH older) vessels in the game. I also object to ships such as the Intrepid existing at top-tier. At MOST, a "TNG-era" ship should stop at Tier 4.

This is the future's future. Anything we saw on-screen should be out-dated by now, and should not be considered the "best". As such, they shouldn't be setup and sold as such.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
That's easier to overcome than you think. I object to the existence of "redesigns" of older (some MUCH older) vessels in the game. I also object to ships such as the Intrepid existing at top-tier. At MOST, a "TNG-era" ship should stop at Tier 4.

This is the future's future. Anything we saw on-screen should be out-dated by now, and should not be considered the "best". As such, they shouldn't be setup and sold as such.
Sorry, but the reality of the situation is if you eliminate the older styles of Star Trek ships, you alienate a vast amount of your player base, i.e. Enterprise and TOS fans. Therefore, those ships will not go away from a gameplay point of view.

From a realism point of view, my argument is this: The Excalibur-class is a cruiser, not a Heavy cruiser but a cruiser just the same. Size-wise it's roughly the same length as an Intrepid and therefore should have similar hit points. Just because it's lower tier doesn't mean it should be completely discarded and utterly unusable at higher levels.

Eve Online made multiple classes of ships. Each with their own unique bonuses and drawbacks: Interceptors, Frigates, Light cruisers, standard cruisers, battlecruisers, destroyers, dreadnaughts, carriers and even some special varients of each class. Obviously the lower your character's level was, the smaller your ship was. But if you liked flying Intercpetors, as you leveled up you could specialize in that type of craft. Being max level didn't render flying an interceptor obsolete. They still played a vital role in fleets and had their own specialized builds that required strategy to overcome. Something we can all agree which is seriously lacking in this game.

THAT is the argument we are making. With all of the varieties of ships available in Trek-lore, regardless of the era they originally came from, the devs should be able to come up with a way to integrate ALL of them into this game with relative ease and NOT force players to discard them.

I understand your argument that this is the 25th century, what's a 23rd century relic doing fighting against the Borg. But (and props to the Dev who had the fore thought to come up with this) making a 25th century cruiser eliminates the ancient technology argument, and still allows the players to fly ships that look like the ones they still know and love.

On a side note, I don't know how long you've been with this game, but some of the original "new ships of line" cryptic invented were downright hideous. I'm not saying new ships (like the Odessey) shouldn't be in existance, just that the other ship classes should have their specilized roles far more refined (or even diversified) and they should serve a specific purpose, beyond existing to let you play levels 20-30.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
You mean you want a tier 1 ship to have Commander level BOFF stations?
Sounds like a neat idea, really. Of course, you shouldn't start out with that -but as you grow in rank, you get access to these powers. It could allow some more diversity at endgame. And even if the Tier 3 Akira with a Defiant-Like BO layout would still not be equal to it, it would probably feel much more satisfying and effective than it is now. The calls for Tier 5 retrofits of every ship may even be quelled.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Precisely.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
It's simple: you can't promote a bridge officer to or above your character's rank. Lower-tier ships are made for lower ranks, so its pointless to have higher-rank officer slots.
So by this logic starfleet destroys all ships a captain has captained once he reaches a rank that outdoes them? lol, no.

This is actually an indefensible policy. There IS no acceptable reason for this. Ironically, allowing the lesser tiered ships to be functional at endgame would be a huge boon to the game, allowing players not to be crippled by Cryptic's feeble design choices and able to run around in their favorite ships.

I can tell you that if they would implement a manner in which a Quasar could be retrofitted to include additional weapon banks and boff slots, I would be switching off between my dreaddy, it and my oddy. I love that ship, adds a huge amount of replayability to me. Once again I find myself baffled by how this IP has been mismanaged.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Because then people wouldn't have to purchase +1 variants when they come out.

I assume you want to fly these ships as a VA with all the slots filled, otherwise what lvl 1 toon has the officer skill points to promote all their new Boffs, and fully upgrade their abilities??

come on now! You want things to be easy and free!!! ha!
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Sigh. The tier system works for the game. This is NOT EVE. This is not the show. This is STO.

Reality is you'd never see a Lt captaining any ship other then a training one. And you'd see commanders/captains flying every ship equally. you have captains of Miranda class ships, and captains of galaxys. NEITHER is better in base experience then the other.

Seriously, I've seen another game which tried putting in gameplay mechanics that it wasn't made for, and it wasn't pretty. (Halo Reach for xbox. They released a gametype which removed a mechanic of the game, and thus it became worse IMO). A brand new Star Trek MMO could try those EVE style thing. But I don't see STO being able to magically kill the tier system while adapting something like you say without loosing a massive amount of players, or outright ending up worse then before.

Edit: Also, to clear it up, I'd LOVE to see more diversity in the endgame. I'd love to see a decent sized fleet of a range of ship types, but I understand that just isn't how the game was built to work.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-21-2012, 06:45 PM
This was almost a week old. You couldn't just let it die, could you? I find it especially stupid that the guy who necro'd it did so just to offer a rebuttal to the original idea. The better rebuttal would have been to just let it die.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Lower tier ships should upgrade, maybe not as high as the actual tier, but they should upgrade.

Why not upgrade them to the tier below your rank, including shields, hull, weapon/console slots, etc... So they are never quite as good as your actual tier, but playable. The difference in agility would somewhat make up for the 1 tier below weaps/console slots anyway.