Lt. Commander
Hi all,

I was helping a fleetmate with his carrier build this week, and we had the thought of putting the Rapid Fire Ferengi Missles on his carrier with its 180 degree firing arc.

Then it hit me...what if the folks at Cryptic just increased the firing arc on Transphasic torps to something in the neighborhood of 120 to 180 degrees? They would then become a torp of choice for carrier pilots.

I have no concept whatsoever of how hard it would be to change something like this internally, but it seems to me much simplier than extensively modding transphasics to become "useful." What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Changing the fire arc of the transphasics probably isn't possible from a coding standpoint. Most likely all torpedoes share the same global fire arc which changing it for one, changes it for all of them.

My thought on how to make transphasics usable is to up their damage to half of Tricobalt levels and increase the bleedthrough 25-30% while at the same time increasing their CD time to 20-30 seconds or so. Transphasics were supposed to be extremely heavy ordinance, not to be slung around everywhere like photons and quantums. When using something like torpedo spread, it fires one or two torpedo at multiple enemies, instead of the normal 3-5.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta View Post
Changing the fire arc of the transphasics probably isn't possible from a coding standpoint. Most likely all torpedoes share the same global fire arc which changing it for one, changes it for all of them.

My thought on how to make transphasics usable is to up their damage to half of Tricobalt levels and increase the bleedthrough 25-30% while at the same time increasing their CD time to 20-30 seconds or so. Transphasics were supposed to be extremely heavy ordinance, not to be slung around everywhere like photons and quantums. When using something like torpedo spread, it fires one or two torpedo at multiple enemies, instead of the normal 3-5.
Not sure about the above. The Ferengi Missile Launcher is affected by torpedo buffs, so it is recognized as a torpedo weapon, but it has a 180% firing arc that breaks torpedo conventions.

I would prefer that the transphasic torpedo be given more canon-like stats without being able to 1-shot borg cubes. At the very least, it should match a standard photon torpedo base damage, but have a much longer reload time and a chance to proc 100% shield penetration, instead of the fixed 20% shield penetration and laughable damage that it sports now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
all the torpedos are broken. If u are hit by a Torpedo Hight Yield III, and your facing shield is at 1% , u will recive the same negible damage that if u shield where at 100%. I
We need some progresive bleeding, then torpedos will start to have some sense, and the bonus from transphasic will have a better effect.

All the torpedos mechanics is wrong, not just Transphasic.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
^Agreed 100%
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2012, 01:51 AM
playhard88 Some tropedo's are broken in general like not firing when thy suppost to shoot tricobalt is 1 of them that doesn't always shoot just like the breen one.
Thats 1 of the rezones why i don't use the 2.

Better bleed true for the trancefasic one shout be fine fine and cranking it up to photon damage because it has a timer right now of 10s and photon only 6s.
So i don't see a problem whit that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard88
all the torpedos are broken. If u are hit by a Torpedo Hight Yield III, and your facing shield is at 1% , u will recive the same negible damage that if u shield where at 100%. I
We need some progresive bleeding, then torpedos will start to have some sense, and the bonus from transphasic will have a better effect.

All the torpedos mechanics is wrong, not just Transphasic.
I agree. Torps need a progessive bleed-through based on strength.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Um... Hate to burst your bubble OP but... Why would I want to use Transphasics on my Carrier? It is not that hard to get things into the standard Arc and Transphasics deal HORRIBLE damage. I would muuuuuch prefer the Hargh'Peng or Bio-Neural (on the Klink side) to Transphasics. If you are going to use Transphasics you may as well put another Beam Array or Cannon on your Carrier instead. It will deal more damage.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I think that Torpedo damage bleed-through should be directly proportional to your shield facing strength.
With a normal Photon Torpedo, bleed-through damage could be calculated like this:
100% shield strength = 2% bleed-through damage
90% shield strength = 4%
80% shield strength = 6%
70% shield strength = 8%
60% shield strength = 10%
50% shield strength = 12%
40% shield strength = 14%
30% shield strength = 16%
20% shield strength = 18%
10% shield strength =20%
0% shield strength = 100%

With a Transphasic Torpedo, bleed-through damage could be calculated like this:

100% shield strength = 4% bleed-through damage
90% shield strength = 8%
80% shield strength = 12%
70% shield strength = 16%
60% shield strength = 20%
50% shield strength = 24%
40% shield strength = 28%
30% shield strength = 32%
20% shield strength = 36%
10% shield strength =42%
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
I think that Torpedo damage bleed-through should be directly proportional to your shield facing strength.
With a normal Photon Torpedo, bleed-through damage could be calculated like this:
100% shield strength = 2% bleed-through damage
90% shield strength = 4%
80% shield strength = 6%
70% shield strength = 8%
60% shield strength = 10%
50% shield strength = 12%
40% shield strength = 14%
30% shield strength = 16%
20% shield strength = 18%
10% shield strength =20%

With a Transphasic Torpedo, bleed-through damage could be calculated like this:

100% shield strength = 4% bleed-through damage
90% shield strength = 8%
80% shield strength = 12%
70% shield strength = 16%
60% shield strength = 20%
50% shield strength = 24%
40% shield strength = 28%
30% shield strength = 32%
20% shield strength = 36%
10% shield strength =42%
This still doesn't change the root problem of Transphasics. Once shields are gone, so are their utility. Their damage against raw hull is absolutely worthless. Maybe if Cryptic increased the effect of Torpedo: High-Yield and Torpedo: Spread on Transphasics, they would be worth it. Even with this change, I don't see people rushing to use them. Photon torpedoes still outclass them in every way.