Lt. Commander
# 11
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Exactly, once you know the tactics, your ship, your boff abilities and all that and get comfortable with how the system works, warbirds become somewhat of a joke.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You mean it's weaker then it should be, right?

Because I remember pretty well that I destroyed these things left and right. Not as a noob, but later, after I groked the system and the importance of BO powers (and not just the importance, but also which one were really useful and which just clutter your UI).
No I mean some of them are Three times as strong as they should be
I counted 8 heavy plasma torps in one spread
How many launchers would I have to mount to get that??
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
No I mean some of them are Three times as strong as they should be
I counted 8 heavy plasma torps in one spread
How many launchers would I have to mount to get that??
One launcher, with torp spread.

There's no real complicated trick to surviving a plasma heavy torpedo spread, just the same rules that apply to other torpedoes: 1) don't let them hit hull 2) don't let them hit hull 3) don't let them hit hull and 4) boost your kinetic resistance when you fail at steps 1-3.

That means you need to keep your shields up, using transfer shield strength, emergency power to shields, science team, redistributing to that facing, prayer, or anything else you can do. And for step 4, use kinetic resist consoles (monotanium below mk IX, neutronium above mk IX) and for frak's sake, use brace for impact.

Then use hazard emitters to put out the fire.

My newest character is currently doing the Romulan episodes in a Nova-class, because I didn't want any of the Tier 3 ships. If I have no problem taking on Warbirds in one of the smallest ships in the game, neither should you.

Edit: there's another step, Step 0) shoot them down before they hit you. Fire at will and [acc] beams help with that. But any ship can easily survive the hit.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
nope WE (mere mortals) get either a spread OR heavy torps
the warbird gets both

Its mounting at least 11 weapons
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
One launcher, with torp spread.

There's no real complicated trick to surviving a plasma heavy torpedo spread, just the same rules that apply to other torpedoes: 1) don't let them hit hull 2) don't let them hit hull 3) don't let them hit hull and 4) boost your kinetic resistance when you fail at steps 1-3.

That means you need to keep your shields up, using transfer shield strength, emergency power to shields, science team, redistributing to that facing, prayer, or anything else you can do. And for step 4, use kinetic resist consoles (monotanium below mk IX, neutronium above mk IX) and for frak's sake, use brace for impact.

Then use hazard emitters to put out the fire.

My newest character is currently doing the Romulan episodes in a Nova-class, because I didn't want any of the Tier 3 ships. If I have no problem taking on Warbirds in one of the smallest ships in the game, neither should you.

Edit: there's another step, Step 0) shoot them down before they hit you. Fire at will and [acc] beams help with that. But any ship can easily survive the hit.
To avoid losing shields, Emergency Power is perfect. If you have two available, and max out the ranks on them, it means you have a 100 % uptime. That in turn means you will always resist a large amount of damage, effectively always taking less damage then you would normally. It can make a significant difference.

Beyond that - Distribute Shield Power and Tactical Team help you to make the best of the shields you have left. And Transfer Shield Strength is probably one of the best heals for your shields as well.

Starting at Tier 3, every ship has at least 2 Engineering, 2 Science and 2 Tactical Slots. The 2 Engineering slots are ideally equipped with 2 Emegency Power to Shields, the Science Slots should contain either Hazard Emitters or Tranfser Shield Strength, better both, and the Tactical Slots should at least contain one Tactical Team.

Quote:
nope WE (mere mortals) get either a spread OR heavy torps
the warbird gets both

Its mounting at least 11 weapons
No, it has just one special powers that happens to be animated as a bunch of heavy plasma torpedoes. It doesn't fire them constantly like it would do if it was just one weapon. Also, I am pretty soure if you need to and are a Science Officer, you can subnuke the respective buff away before it shoots the torps, negating the effect.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
no you can't
no one has reflexes THAT fast
it decloaks and fires from behind AFTER you have beaten a dozen smaller ships usually
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Please pay careful attention to the information Mustrum and others have provided. The NPCs in this game are incredibly easy to defeat and defend against. Honestly, NPCs use a fraction of the number of abilities that a single player can use which means any one of us has the enemy out gunned.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I'd agree...I've learned a lot from pvp'ing and folks with experience like mustrum know what they're talking about.

Incidentally, I'd highly recommend his combat simulator in the Foundry. If you can make it through that (which requires thinking carefully about BOFF powers, etc.), warbirds should be a cinch.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
given 15 seconds warning and full operation i can clean the clock of one of these birds yes

But taken by surprise , blocked by a bridge officer pop up and already half power because of three waves of squishies not so easy
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9870
When i first attempted it myself i stayed beyond 5km (the range of the tractor beam) and i got it down to 32% health and then i got destroyed! luckily i was in a very helpfull fleet

My Ship
-Galaxy Exploration Cruiser

Fore weapons
Chronoton Topedoes mkvii X2
Poleran Duel phasers mkviii X2

Aft weapons
Transphasic Torpedoes mkviii
Tetryon beam array mkviii X2

any advice to improve my ship?
Take the previous good advice that others have posted to heart. They are pointing you in the right direction.
My contribution would be to direct you to this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=249906

Seriously... Read it. ALL of it.