Lt. Commander
The content in question being the Defera Invasion, The Vault and the FED/KDF Mirror Invasion.

My buddy and I were talking about it the other day, and he mentioned he has yet to do the Defera Invasion content, because it's not accessible when he has time available to play STO. I'm certain others share a similar experience with this type of content.

Take last night for instance, it didn't open until past midnight, now for a regular 9-5 working STO player the chance of seeing this type of content is fairly limited and for what reason? To add some semblance of exclusivity?
It clearly isn't very accessible, and we aren't talking about EverQuest/WoW high end raiding bosses for "phat lewts" here.
After all isn't F2P in part about accessibility, opening the game to a fresh new audience because it was too limited in the past to warrant a Subscription?

I just can't grasp the design intentions behind having Timeslot limited content at seemingly random hours of the week, it just seems so illogical to quote a Vulcan.
And STO having limited content, or being content starved, is somewhat oft quoted around these parts and is a sentiment shared by many. So it strikes me as baffling that content would be limited in such a way as it is via the Calendar Timeslots.

Looking at the other side of the fence, one could argue that if the content was more easily accessible people would tire of it quicker, but that is the case with the vast majority of MMO content in any event, the threadmill gets tiresome after a while.
One of the only ways to alleviate that is via the continued introduction of fresh content, or content which aren't simply Fire and Forget but offers a deeper usage.

Not to mention, not having enough accessible content to begin with leads to burnout sooner.

The calendar instead should offer a bonus during set timeslots for this type of content, or really any content available in STO, be they story missions, STFs, crafting, selling/buying items or what have you.
If content needs to be limited in some fashion, the 1H cooldown used with STFs could be used to throttle the content consumption rate.

Take the Mirror Invasion for example, instead of having it on the Calender, it could show up as available for queuing at the beginning of every Hour (13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 ect) and once completed it would be locked out for the remainder of the hour. During set timeslots on the calender there could be a bonus for participating in the Mirror Invasion event, be that additional loot, unique Invasion items, more credits, more CXP, DOFFs, BOFFs, Assignments ect ect.

The Vault mission could be handled in a similar fashion as the STFs currently are, limited too once per hour, but let it be available at all hours of the day. Again add a bonus via the Calender as above with the Mirror Event.

The Defera Invasion zone is a little trickier because it spans 3 hours in it's current form. If the idea is to add some form of urgency in responding to the invasion, similar to a "Red Alert", it could be setup in a way that opens the zone for play once/twice a day, similar to how Daily Missions are handled. And again add bonuses via the Calendar at specific timeslots.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
The only conceivable reason to put things in timeslots is to try and herd all the players into the same area at once to give a feeling that the game's "alive". Also considering some of is forced team content they feel they're doing everyone a favor by trying to get as many people into the same spot as once to make finding other interested players easier...

Though who knows the real reason, that's the only thing I could come up with to remotely explain it.

Personally I'd love it if they dropped the timeslots, and just put all forced team content into a queue system so anyone needing a team can have half a chance at finding other players...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I think gated content is perfect world MMO model it was said in an interview (i think it was one on primetime UGC)

the business idea behind it is you go onto STO see that there is nothing that you want to do at that time so you may try jade Dynasty then move onto forsaken world and so on so fourth.so it'll end up 1'o clock jade or an event then 2'o clock camps for an event then STO etc etc, then buy zen (or whatever PWE version of cryptic points is) so you'll use that across all the games.

Personally I hate gated content I have zero plans to play any other of perfect worlds MMOs (or anyone elses) the reason why I play Star trek online is because it's star trek and i want to play when it suits me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
I hate this new design for two reasons - accessibility because of odd hours, and I am a solo player. This event should be reworked into an episode and made to be solo-able with your away team BOFFs. I am definitely not liking this direction of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I have yet to do a single gated event for the very same reason. The events I want or need to do are in some time slot I cannot or will not be on. I will not buy keys, I will not spend a single real dollar, and I will not play gated content. In short, I vote with my money.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Take last night for instance, it didn't open until past midnight, now for a regular 9-5 working STO player the chance of seeing this type of content is fairly limited and for what reason?
It being the same time everywhere IS a problem.

Anyway, the gating is obviously there to reduce reward handouts by reducing availability. If you don't play the game with a "Me want all naow!" mentality you realize they're minor distractions not worth busting your hump or nerd raging over.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
It's a very retarded model to follow globally. I have yet to play anything except for Mirror, I haven't taken a step into Defara or Vault because of this, and it's not from a lack of trying. I've pretty much given up on trying to do any of these events. I'll check once when I login, see that the next time is 27 hours away and say screw it and go do an STF...again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
It being the same time everywhere IS a problem.

Anyway, the gating is obviously there to reduce reward handouts by reducing availability. If you don't play the game with a "Me want all naow!" mentality you realize they're minor distractions not worth busting your hump or nerd raging over.
Unless you like to collect accolades then it becomes a problem. Its not just "minor duistractions" at that point, but a hindrance to my enjoyment of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
When I see players of this game rage, it become obvious that a large portion of them have never played a MMO before, or at least never did so with the level of dedication most MMO players show.

This is a mechanic that has existed in one form or another for quite some time in these games. From raids that are only available for a limited time after your side wins an engagement, to holiday events which only last for a limited time. We've even had events that were only completeable by one person/team ever in the games lifespan.

I hear complaints that state that players won't schedule their playtime around events, but in my experience that is certainly not the case. My guild in other games quite frequently sets events on the calendar, and with great regularity we meet up and play at those times. In fact, if it wasn't for my guild scheduling events, I would have quit that game ages ago. I only log in now to hang out with my guild and do scheduled content.

I actually enjoy it the way it is set up now. I log in and check the calendar. I see what special events are running in the time I plan to be on. If nothing interests me, I do my usual dailies/STF/doff missions. If an event I am interested in is running, I go. The vault event is fun, but if I was running it more often then I already am, it would lose its luster really quickly. As it is, I'm already starting to skip them. I'm only 2 purple pieces away from the set, and just couldn't be arsed to repeat it some days.

Another thing I've noticed is many people upset that somehow they are missing story content because they can't fly the shuttle event... Well, there is no story there. You show up, Obisek barks some orders at you, you blow things up, he says thank you and gives you a datalog. If that counts as story, then I could be a writer!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym
t become obvious that a large portion of them have never played a MMO before, or at least never did so with the level of dedication most MMO players show.
Who cares about other MMOs... STO *is* my first and will definitely be my last "MMO"... the contrived mechanics thrust upon the game simply because it's a MMO are just silly. To me this is a Star Trek game and the "MMOism" is just something to deal with...

However, that's all absolutely irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not players enjoy time gated content. I don't care if every single MMO out there had time gated content, that doesn't mean people are somehow obligated to enjoy that kind of mission structure because STO is a MMO and by golly you better love every little thing that makes an MMO an MMO.

Time gating content just reduces the available "things to do" in the game... and whether it's a staple of MMOs or not... artificially limiting what you can do in the game is a bad thing in my opinion and the opinion of many other players from what I've read on the forums.