Career Officer
# 1 Season 8 State of Vidiians
08-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Vidiians: In 2375 the Think Tank stated they had cured the Phage. In doing so, the Think Tank also stated that "you wouldn't recognize them now," insinuating that they had returned to their pre-phage pursuits, ideals, and morals. (VOY: "Think Tank"). Keep that in mind please
GERMAN - speaking
Commander
# 2
08-26-2013, 04:52 AM
True, however:
If the Borg could manage to assimilate the Undine (only stopped by the player), if the Borg still haven't assimilated everyone even though they are all over the place, if the entire galaxy can be in an endless war and yet everyone work together against Borg, if the Galaxy dreadnought can exist in our timeline (even though it only existed in an imaginary timeline created by Q), etc....
Then possibly the Vidiian phage virus could have mutated and they have it again. You never know, in S.T.O.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!

Last edited by djf021; 08-26-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Captain
# 3
08-26-2013, 05:56 AM
The episode also made it pretty clear that the think tank is far from being trustworthy and that they made many enemies by solving 'problems' which the think tank created secretly in the first place.

In regard to the Vidiians: It wouldn't surprise me if the think tank only achieved to supress the symptoms of the phage for a while until they got their payment and enough time to make a run for it. Cryptic could easily make up a story like this and it would easily fit with how the think tank was presented in this particular episode.
Commander
# 4
08-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
The episode also made it pretty clear that the think tank is far from being trustworthy and that they made many enemies by solving 'problems' which the think tank created secretly in the first place.

In regard to the Vidiians: It wouldn't surprise me if the think tank only achieved to supress the symptoms of the phage for a while until they got their payment and enough time to make a run for it. Cryptic could easily make up a story like this and it would easily fit with how the think tank was presented in this particular episode.
+1
My point is this game's story is only soft canon, so anything can be explained away or changed for the purpose of the game.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Career Officer
# 5
08-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoreeves View Post
Vidiians: In 2375 the Think Tank stated they had cured the Phage. In doing so, the Think Tank also stated that "you wouldn't recognize them now," insinuating that they had returned to their pre-phage pursuits, ideals, and morals. (VOY: "Think Tank"). Keep that in mind please
I think that the although the Phage may have been cured, (and I'm gonna amuse that it was, but there are a lot of good arguments against that), it may have had some lingering effects in the form of a lot more aggressive species.
I don't think that they returned to their pre Phage existence so quickly.

Sure, they were doing horrific things to survive, but if as a culture, they eventually condoned such behavior, then went so far as to developed the technology to carry it out, well let's just say that I think the Vidiians made a moral choice and I don't think that once you go down that road, you abandon that way of thinking completely overnight.
I think the Phage changed some of them morally and not for the good. Some things take longer to heal than the body.

They may not need body parts any longer, but with that many of the population ravaged by illness, being sick, possibly incapacitated, there had to be other parts of their civilization that suffered.
They've gotta been left with a devastated civilization.

I think they're still preying off of others, just looking a whole lot better at doing it.

My opinion anyways.
UFOS have tampered with our Nukes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMYO4jvobc)

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 08-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Captain
# 6
08-26-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm inclined to believe that the Think Tank just said that to butter up the Voyager crew; but even if they had cured it, it's not hard to imagine them thinking 'if they paid that much to cure the Phage, how much would they pay to cure this new mutated strain we just happen to have... umm... found lying around?'

That's assuming that there weren't naturally evolved mutant strains that the cure wouldn't touch.

The Vidiians were downright creepy enemies, it would be a shame to waste that by turning them into perfectly ordinary generic aliens.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'
Captain
# 7
08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoreeves View Post
We've seen an uncorrupted Vidian before. And others have stated that before the Phage they were a scientifically inclined species and THAT was the only thing that allowed them to survive as they're Medical technology was already sufficiently advanced as to allow them to keep ahead of the Phage.

It would be nice to see the Vidians in the game, but as a friendly NPC helper race, not the ghouls we first met.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-27-2014, 10:21 PM
So no Vidiians in Season 8, cured of the Phage or otherwise. Which is odd, because their highly advanced medical technology might have helped with the whole Kobali situation. That, and they're obviously a power in the region with advanced cloaking technology that can make a force field look like a rock face and starships that can overwhelm an Intrepid-class.

But I suppose the game area could be the other end of the Nekrit Expanse from where the Vidiian Sodality lies, along with Ocampa, Talax and the area the Kazon roamed when Voyager first encountered them.