Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I came into STO wishing to play a Romulan, (I played Romulan faction in the boardgame version of Star Fleet Battles for a few years back in the day.) So: no Romulans. Okay, what career path suits me as a player?

I wanted a support role.
I wanted to be powerful enough to be a threat and maneuverable enough to get out of trouble.
I wanted a role that was both rare among the playerbase and valuable to a team.

Scanning through the available options I chose Science career and Science ships. I thought I had made the right choice. I set myself up as a shield stripper, (Tachyon, Charged Particle,) and immobilizer, (Tractor, Grav Well.) And I got the best ship I could afford in the science role: the Recon Science Vessel.

Two days after my entry into PvP, every one of my skills was nerfed to uselessness. FAW, which I didn't know was broken, went from a viable defense against Kar'fi spawn to a useless light show. Players flew through GW III, (I think just so they'd get purple streamers behind them, as it had no other detectable effect.) Tachyon Beam went from a shield stripper to... well, I don't know what it does now, but it don't help me or hurt the enemy at all. CPB still makes a sparkly light show...

So, now I'm saving my dil for a cruiser so I can be like every other Sci captain out there; but, given the choice, I'd by far prefer to play a viable science ship. Being such a new player, I'm not the one to recommend what needs to be fixed to make Science Ships a worthwhile option for team play. Currently I can PuG, (and be the first target on the enemy team's list,) or roll with friends, until they meet a real challenge, (at which time they replace me with a Sci/cruiser.)

So I'm asking the experienced players: what needs to be done to make Science Ships viable in PvP?

Signed:
Feeling Useless
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Sci escorts are a pain in the ***, i saw some MVAE and Defiants doing it very well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
sci ships have no place in the current game.

you'll either want a carrier or a mvam if you want to be "science" and of course a science captain for your role.


this game blows now.

that is all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Sci/scorts and Sci/cruisers are fine. What about Sci/Sci? We have a third class of ships which are now only represented in game by noobs and the Atrox.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5 Science ^^
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Learn to play and Adapt its not half as bad as you guys make it to be.

If you really think sci/sci is that useless you are doing it wrong, yes I understand some skills such as charged particle burst and Rift are slightly useless right now but overall Science is awesome.

Science requires team play to be epic, right now my fleet has a build that is stacked with heals that can also leave a target completely helpless with minimal shields for a few seconds perfect for and escort to finish.

Too Long Science was overpowered now you need to bring your game up to stay competitive it was too easy mode before and now you need to chose what few skills you max to help your team, more of a am I going to go heal heavy or science Debuff heavy.

Also if science is so OP why do so many premadeís still use so two or three science ships?

Simple answer they know overall science is still great and only a few skills need tweaked.

Tips
Drop field generators there just not useful
Try to Gauge what targets are more vulnerable to certain science magicís

GG TY Hmm Fish
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmeagolSneak View Post
Learn to play and Adapt its not half as bad as you guys make it to be.

If you really think sci/sci is that useless you are doing it wrong, yes I understand some skills such as charged particle burst and Rift are slightly useless right now but overall Science is awesome.

Science requires team play to be epic, right now my fleet has a build that is stacked with heals that can also leave a target completely helpless with minimal shields for a few seconds perfect for and escort to finish.

Too Long Science was overpowered now you need to bring your game up to stay competitive it was too easy mode before and now you need to chose what few skills you max to help your team, more of a am I going to go heal heavy or science Debuff heavy.

Also if science is so OP why do so many premadeís still use so two or three science ships?

Simple answer they know overall science is still great and only a few skills need tweaked.

Tips
Drop field generators there just not useful
Try to Gauge what targets are more vulnerable to certain science magicís

GG TY Hmm Fish
I don't notice many Sci ships at all in PvP. Often I'm the only one on both teams. Science Captains on other ships are by far more common. And that is for the one un-nerfed skill left to Sci: Subnuc.

My question isn't, "How do I use nerfed science skills to make my game better?" I'm already working on that.
My question is, what needs to be done to make science ships a viable choice for team play?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian334
I don't notice many Sci ships at all in PvP. Often I'm the only one on both teams. Science Captains on other ships are by far more common. And that is for the one un-nerfed skill left to Sci: Subnuc.

My question isn't, "How do I use nerfed science skills to make my game better?" I'm already working on that.
My question is, what needs to be done to make science ships a viable choice for team play?
Well, the natural advantages of sci ships are shields and sub system targeting. The last thing this game needs is more shield buffs; so that leaves the 'target X' powers; as it is... well, I usually fly sci ships, and I can't honestly say it feels like I've got 4 extra Boff powers. You'd think it would be a huge advantage; but it just isn't right now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe I'll put my Eng in an Intrepid and go Zombie, since that's pretty much the only thing Scis are good for right about now.

What needs to be done is resists need to be completely reworked. Resistances should exist for multiple applications of the same ability. 1 CPB will hit you for it's full value (5,000 ish), the second will have a lower value (dependent upon your skill based resistances), the third will be even lower, etc etc.

The duration might need tweaked on a case-by-case basis. 30 second resist might be good for CBP, but it would completely eliminate the usefulness of using 2 Tachyon Beams. CPB and TachBeam are just examples, we'd obviously need this changed for things like GW, Scramble, and Tyken's (which needs an overall buff - it was useless before the resistances in general).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry to say, but science ships are almost on the verge of becoming useless. The only thinking keeping it alive is VM spam.

Gravity well has no place in PvP. Scramble sensors are useless. Tachyon beam and CPB are useless. Energy Siphon is useless. Tykens rift? Useless. Photonic officer? Who cares when most of your abilities are useless.

Sci ships can't heal, they can't do damage, and the science abilities are useless. Thus, science ships are useless.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todu
Sci ships can't heal, they can't do damage, and the science abilities are useless. Thus, science ships are useless.
Well... I'd disagree with the first two.

I can dish out a pretty nice chunk of damage in my Intrepid, even moreso in my RSV. You'd be surprised how helpful Sensor Analysis can be

I actually find myself being a far more effective healer in my Sci ship than in a Cruiser.

But I won't argue with you at all regardless useless Sci abilities (that aren't heals).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 PM.