Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Cryptic, you have failed the PvP community since launch, but lately things have taken a turn for the worse in ways none of us had ever imagined possible.

It's one thing to take some time to balance out the science resists, it's another thing to make keep making these pants-on-head retarded changes like the further nerfing of PSW and Tricos. Or buffing RSP and pet tractors.

L2Develop.

It's pretty obvious that no one on the systems team has any clue what they're doing. They either need to start playing organized, high level PvP to educate themselves, or they should all be let go. They're doing far more harm than good. At this point monkeys on typewriters, or even flipping a coin and rolling a die to see what gets nerfed or buffed would do a better job. Seriously Cryptic, what the heck are you paying these people for?

And then there's itemization. They have no idea how to create balanced additions. If they can't stomach educating themselves to do their own job properly they should be let go as well and replaced with people who are willing to put in even a small effort to do their jobs properly.

At the very least we need someone who actually knows how to play this game in a position of oversight. If there is anybody like this at Cryptic, they need to be promoted. Ironically, the only Cryptic employee who seems to want to put in any effort to understand balance is Branflakes, a community rep. Meanwhile Captain "I don't understand how weapon consoles work" Gecko is leading the systems team and is probably the worst offender of the lot.

The more poorly conceptualized items you add, the more convoluted systems that are added either "just because" or to cover for a past mistake, the worse things will get. When your team is this hopeless at understanding their own product, the worst thing you can do is add feature creep. That's the reason why balance has taken a nose dive like never before: The decline of PvP is now an exponential function.

Bottom line, Cryptic. You have three choices:
  1. Fire the systems and itemization teams, or if a problem exists at the top replace those team leads.
  2. Where it is critical for an employee to know how to play STO, make them play STO. And I'm not talking about PvE or pugs.
  3. Or, if you don't do either. Watch the PvP in this game die even faster than the rest of it.

The ball is in your court Cryptic. In any case, until the unmitigated disaster PvP has become is sorted out I'm not touching your game. I'm off to play some more Stellar Impact where the devs listen, treat you as equal, and are some of the best damn competitive players in their game. Peace out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
To all of the above: I agree

My tolerance for this game is at an end. I only stayed around for the company and IP, hoping you guys would wise up.

Either A) The design team is incompetent, or B) You are not getting the resources you need.

Any way you cut it is unacceptable.

Let us actually test your balance patches. Listen to our feedback. Stop in for at least a hour into OPvP and listen to the people who KNOW the real nuts and bolts of your game.

I'll stop by once in a while. If I see some REAL dialogue happening, or real changes being made, I might consider coming back and reinvesting in an IP I love.

If you build it, they will come.

I'm not hopefull for the upcoming supposed "PvP season" if the track record is anything to go by.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2012, 02:17 AM
I am against asking people to get fired and otherwise get personal.

I am for focusing on what we see the flaws of the gameplay, the design and the design process are and how we think that may be fixed. It's about teaching, not replacing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am against asking people to get fired and otherwise get personal.

I am for focusing on what we see the flaws of the gameplay, the design and the design process are and how we think that may be fixed. It's about teaching, not replacing.
unfortantly they dont seem to care about being taught... so......
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716
unfortantly they dont seem to care about being taught... so......
Of course not. They are in complete denial about how bad of a job they are doing. Admitting that they don't understand balance at all and need to learn would be a crushing blow to their egos.

I get the feeling that insecurity is a common trait among these people. They get incredibly offended that PvPers dare to tell them how to do their job despite the fact that they lack any kind of knowledge of balance. A common joke is that we should ask Cryptic to do the opposite of what we want, and there may be some truth there -- could be a subliminal rebelliousness to go against the 'rude people who think they can do my job better'

Well, hate to say it. But any one of us with a CS background probably could.

The one possible exception here is Borticus. He seems to at least be willing to make the effort to engage the community on the forums, seems to be open minded too, but draws the line at actually seriously learning PvP. I really want to like him and I think he has good potential, but until he takes the plunge he isn't going to be able to balance the game by himself. And he's not going to be able to stop the exponential decline. As a very junior member of the dev team I'm willing to give him quite a bit of slack as opposed to the rest of the systems team, but he's not completely off the hook either.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2012, 04:31 AM
This thread is basically what i asked for in " So PvP changes are coming. What would you like to see?" thread. I was just less brutal with conveying my feelings about it. :-)

Quoted verbatim:

Biggest change for me is not the content, but addressing the balance or lack of. A proper rock paper scissors system. Already enough content as it is in my opinion in pvp with plenty of build variation possible. Especially with Heretic's doff system. That was a stroke of genious. Not only did it please pvers, guess what? It was embraced by us grumpy pvpers. Congrats to cryptic for that. Only reason the variations are not used is because they are completely dumbed down (not balanced) i.e. cpb being no more useful than a firework, tachion drones zapping all power, and grav well not doing anything meaningful. In general, abilities don't function as advertised.

Also I think if the term "play 2 win" stops existing if and when the balance issues are addressed, that would be the best for existing and new pvpers. There would be no more debate on rules before we enter matches. Frustrations would disappear because there would be no issues with using new consoles you just bought. It should be another balanced alternative to victory rather than a paid "I win" button. How cool would it sound for the devs and STO players if and when the devs release a new ship console, pvp debates would be based on how to integrate it in a match rather than not another "I win" console.

In my line of work, quality control is paramount. We dont introduce new functionality to market if it breaks an existing item's function or it doesnt do what its meant to do. The amount of times i've heard of broken things being introduced on tribble, not being fixed before full release is realy hurting your customers i.e. us the monthly subscribers.

Do the above and i bet 99% of the flamers and complainers on the pvp forums will disappear. More paying customers will return to the game because i know deep down they are looking for a good excuse to come back and justify the subscription.

Sort 2 things out for me and you'll keep me a paying loyal customer for years to come. These are balance and quality control.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Hmmm...
05-10-2012, 04:51 AM
although I am nearly at wits end with this game, playing purely because I enjoy the company of the friends I have. I'd like to just say that if you're going to write something about giving feedback, make it actual constructive feedback?

for instance, I like PvP and PvE, I use a Regenerative Shield array (everyone says I should use a convariant shield array because of a high cap etc? why is the Regenerative Shield array useless? well in PvP most Tactical officers give out a stupid ammount of DPS so if I'm using a Borg Regen shield with 1 +18% cap console and 1 +12% regen which puts the borg regen to around 390 pts per 6 seconds? how is that usefull against say a Tactical officer buffed up ready to shoot you with around a frontal DPS of around 1k+ per weapon ? how does that work? why call it a Regenerative shield if it doesn't regenerate??????

anyway I agree that the game recently has got alot of people aggro'd, and I also believe that the game is completely unbalance "Odyssey Tac/Sci/Eng ships are completely O/P if used right, but!! with the Odyssey being the latest in Starfleets arsenal why does it have to be equal to something lesser? but still a "game" requires balance, it is the player that tips that balance.

R.J.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Part of me wishes I had never started to PvP... wishes I were still Farming Embl..er Dillithium in B'Tran and doing my Dailies. Still thought being subnuked by the Breen was the worst thing ever, and that fighting Borg was hard. Wishes I was still oblivious to things like class balance and OP gear. Still Captain Kirk-ing, right down to the uniform, my was through PvE...

Then I couldn't be this broken-hearted watching this game, which I love, being poured down the drain like spoiled milk.

I honestly believe, that this game, with well-executed PvP balance and design, could easily become one of the most popular PvP platforms on the market. It has a very unique playstyle, that can be very engaging and entertaining. STO PvP is a goldmine, waiting to be exploited, and you continue to do nothing useful to improve it and cash in.

The decision making processes, at Cryptic, appear to completely lack any consideration for PvPers, let alone balance. This is why Dev's need to PvP, so that point of view is present at systems' team meetings. Your game includes players that min-max their spec and hurl themselves, at each other, using the full potential of your game design, and you continue to ignore them. Some of us know more about how powers interact than you guys do, and that is sad.

The upcoming PvP revamp, which has filled me with so much hope, now seems more like a looming stormcloud. When I see decisions like PSW nerf, TCD nerf, Fed Carrier, Pet Spam Buff, Sci Resists being pushed to live without making sure the skills were tweeked to operate in that environment, etc..., I lose the ability to muster any more optimism. It's gone. Now I just find myself wondering how my sci ships will take it this time... with or without a kiss? Or what will be so horribly broken that the game becomes unplayable?

Truly Sad Panda
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelJ88
although I am nearly at wits end with this game, playing purely because I enjoy the company of the friends I have. I'd like to just say that if you're going to write something about giving feedback, make it actual constructive feedback?

for instance, I like PvP and PvE, I use a Regenerative Shield array (everyone says I should use a convariant shield array because of a high cap etc? why is the Regenerative Shield array useless? well in PvP most Tactical officers give out a stupid ammount of DPS so if I'm using a Borg Regen shield with 1 +18% cap console and 1 +12% regen which puts the borg regen to around 390 pts per 6 seconds? how is that usefull against say a Tactical officer buffed up ready to shoot you with around a frontal DPS of around 1k+ per weapon ? how does that work? why call it a Regenerative shield if it doesn't regenerate??????

anyway I agree that the game recently has got alot of people aggro'd, and I also believe that the game is completely unbalance "Odyssey Tac/Sci/Eng ships are completely O/P if used right, but!! with the Odyssey being the latest in Starfleets arsenal why does it have to be equal to something lesser? but still a "game" requires balance, it is the player that tips that balance.

R.J.
I would normally agree with you, but they player you are criticizing has been giving good, constructive feedback for 2 years. His frustrations arise from the fact that his, and most PvP feedback, has been systemically ignored since shortly after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2012, 05:07 AM
This looks like a job for... The Apparent "PVP Overlord"...

*glaces around* No no! Don't go away! I'm sure he's on his way here right now to start finally sorting this **** out or at least posting to the playerbase he's calling the shots for now!

*checks watch* Juuust wait....

Well, damn.