Lt. Commander
# 1 Gated Community | STOked 122
05-08-2012, 01:56 AM
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ty-stoked-122/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TDGElIeFdbs

Chris and Mav go old school on the week’s news and kick it around, we read the tea leaves and give you our take on the good, the bad, and the gated.

Plus we announce our new segment, and invite you to participate.

Then in community feedback Mav updates you on some community news and events!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2012, 02:03 AM
and yes at the time of posting i discovered @ about 40 min we became andorian. we will try to upload again later today.
Lt. Commander
Nice segment. Time-gated content doesn't jive well with me either.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 02:25 AM
13 minutes in. Already impressed.

(What dark magic is this? Massively AND Stoked bringing to bear in one day!? You'd think Cryptic was doing something... wrong... or something like that. :p) )
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Hey Dan... Gozer... BranFlakes... Heretic... Gecko... You guys are the ones closest to the community...

You wanna watch this...

Bring Rex too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2012, 02:36 AM
I dont hate gated content but i dont like it either. for people that have less free time than me, i can totally get why they despise it.

i agree red alerts are more or less ok, as they can be found fairly easily and does bring the community together to try and find them. I enjoyed the borg red alerts as they are not that hard to find, the random element is cool and they are quite fun. more of them works for me.

some missions do work better as gated content because of the way they are designed but id rather they just did not design them to work that way in the first place. or go with the tried and tested daily wrapper, so its still one every 10 or 20 hours but people can pick and choose when that 10 or 20 hours is.

i still stand by the idea of having missions 24/7 and then gating the double rewards to certain times. that to me does the job of not annoying people and encouraging people to aim for certain times.

the plus side of gated content is when the calendar is full and they have all the events they want, then it probably wont feel quite so bad and may even start to become enjoyable because there will be lots of cool missions to play as long as the times rotate around, so if they continue with it i dont think it will feel as bad in 6 months or a years time. at the moment the calendar is a little fluff heavy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Very good ep. Covered many concerns thats needed addressing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
13 minutes in. Already impressed.

(What dark magic is this? Massively AND Stoked bringing to bear in one day!? You'd think Cryptic was doing something... wrong... or something like that. :p) )
Who? Cryptic? never :p hahaha

This new gated content is just a no go. I don't even bother with it. I hope Cryptic realises this and gets rid of it. Stupid stupid stupid idea!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-08-2012, 03:02 AM
There are good uses for an event calendar.

It can be used for flavor effects like day/night transitions or flavor NPCs who cycle by time of day or stories that play out in the bars. It can be used for timed extra bonuses on events. It could be used for a daily mission reset instead of the awkward 19 hour cooldown.

Content gating, though? Ugh.

When good tech goes bad.