Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Recently another user contacted me through in game mail asking that I help him with some basic keybinds for the Logitech Dual action controller. He had some specific button requests however I informed him that what he wanted did not allow use of the tray commands through the controller, which kind of defeats the purpose using the controller.

So I designed this little guide to set up a Dual Action, and most likely any similar controller to get the most functionality out of it.

First off while using the controller it's actually counterproductive to use what's called "Tab" targeting the controller lends itself to a more point and shoot method, also the default controller buttons for tabbing are overwritten to use them for tray commands. So it will act now as a point and shoot mode with these settings, which I find works very well.

Very Important: On the controller tab of options, enable joysticks and disable 360 controller

Important: For space movement to work correctly you MUST be in chase cam mode.

Just use the following settings for space:

http://i.imgur.com/tG3Uv.jpg

and these for ground:

http://i.imgur.com/cpMFN.jpg

OK now on to the binds

I happen to use the 3 by 10 power tray for this controller setup in space and the 2 by 10 on ground.
We'll discuss the space setup first

First Throttle Control:

Dpad Left = Full Impulse
Dpad Up = Throttle up
Dpad Down = Throttle down
Dpad Right = Toggle throttle / Full Stop

Reversing is done by throtting down past stop

Shields use a combination of the Left trigger (7 button on the controller) and the d-pad with one exception

Left trigger + Dpad up = Front shields
Left trigger + Dpad back = Rear shields
Left trigger + Dpad left = Left shields
Left trigger + Dpad right = Right shields
Left Trigger + Right Trigger = Balance Shields

Now since we will be using autofire for this there is only one button combo needed to open fire when combat begins I have this set so pressing to Left and Right shoulder buttons (5 and 6) together is the same as tapping the space bar, Fire all weapons.

Also before I go any further make sure you have autofire enabled for the weapons by right clicking each weapon in the weapons tray, I also personally like to move these from the skills tray to one of the hidden lines in the skills tray. this opens up more slots for skills.

Now onto the skills themselves.

The skill tray is broken down into six five button sections, 3 left 3 right

The 1 - 4 buttons correspond to the same tray positions. You may ask "what about the 5th one?" The answer is simple... for that we use the button in the Right control stick.

That sets up the first tray skills... but what about other 25 tray skills?

Simple by using the left and right trigger and shoulder buttons along with the 1 - 4 and right stick button it enables the skills the same as if you used ctrl or alt on the keyboard with the Triggers (7 and 8) acting as control and Shoulder buttons (5 and 6) for alt. Each one controlling it's side of the tray.

You may have noticed I missed the skills on the right side of the bottom line of the skills tray.
I wanted to save this for last in this section. This is where the button in the left stick comes into play, by holding it down it enables the commands on the lower right side.

I've also set up the start and select buttons (9 and 10) to act as various functions: These work in both space and on ground.

Select (9) = Scan
Start (10) = Interact (same as pressing the "F" key on keyboard)
Left Shoulder + Start (5 + 10) Inventory
Left Trigger + Start (7 + 10) Character status screen
Left Shoulder + Select (5 + 9) Map
Left Trigger + Select (7 +9) Missions

A couple of other things that are enabled:

Holding the dpad right and pressing the 3 and 4 (X and Y) buttons is the same as fire all phasers and fire all torpedos respectively, you rarely need to use this though as you will most likely be using autofire mode.

Also the dpad and right trigger select the various power presets, to use them hold the right trigger and press the dpad in the desired direction.

Up = Shields
Left = Attack
Down = Balanced
Right = Speed

Now onto ground:

First enable Ground autofire by right clicking the 1 and 2 attack slots. Do not right click number 3, the melee attack, as it does weird things when in autofire like making you attack empty air.

Another Important thing: Shooter mode (B key on keyboard) disables ground autofire so I suggest not using it.
Also ground autofire is disabled in ground PvP this is hardwired into the game currently from what I hear

Movement is of course controlled by the Left joystick, allowing for forward, backward and turning left or right.
Strafing if needed and looking up/down is done with the Right joystick.

Switching the active weapon is done by pressing the d-pad left, holstering by pressing it right, up is aim mode, down is crouch.

Run mode is activated by the Left shoulder (5) button, jumping is done with the Right shoulder (6) button

The ground tray uses the 2 by 10 skill tray, which is preset 2 and the 1-4 and right stick buttons and left stick button for right bottom tray much like the space setup. with the left and right triggers controlling the upper line left and right sides.

For example Left trigger + 1 (A button) used the skill in upper line slot 1, right trigger + 2 uses the skill in upper line slot 7, Left stick button + 4 = Bottom line slot 9, Both joystick buttons lower tray slot 10 etc.

OK now onto the actual binds:

I'm not going to list the individual /bind commands here as that would be a waste of your time, and mine as I already had to type them all in the command line in game. Instead what's listed below are the actual files the game uses for the binds. Simply Copy then and paste them into notepad with the names space.txt and ground.txt and then saving them to the C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live folder

Once in game go to the keybinds tab of the options screen and select either space or ground and type to following in the chat box:

/bind_load_file space.txt

for space

and

/bind_load_file ground.txt

for ground

First Space:

Joystick2_Left "+left"
Joystick2_Right "+right"
Joypad_Up "throttleadjust .25"
Joypad_Down "throttleadjust -.25"
Joypad_Left "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle"
Joy1 "Interactwindow"
Joy2 "ScanForClickies"
Joy4 "UseTrayslot0 4"
Joy11 "UseTraySlot0 2"
Joy12 "UseTraySlot0 3"
Bb "UseTraySlot0 1"
Ab "UseTraySlot0 0"
Joy11+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 2"
Joy12+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 3"
Bb+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 1"
Ab+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 0"
Joy7+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 4"
Joy11+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 2"
Joy12+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 3"
Bb+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 1"
Ab+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 0"
Joy5+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 4"
Joy8+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 9"
Joy11+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 7"
Joy12+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 8"
Bb+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 6"
Ab+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 5"
Joy11+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 7"
Joy12+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 8"
Bb+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 6"
Ab+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 5"
Joy6 "(null)"
Joy6+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 9"
Joy4+joy3 "UseTrayslot0 9"
Joy11+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 7"
Joy12+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 8"
Bb+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 6"
Ab+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 5"
Joypad_Right+joy11 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers"
Joypad_Right+joy12 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps"
Joypad_Right+bb "(null)"
Joypad_Right+ab "(null)"
Joy7+joy7 "(null)"
Joy8+joy7 "+power_exec Distribute_Shields"
Joy8 "(null)"
Lbutton "(null)"
Joypad_Up+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Forward"
Joypad_Left+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Left"
Joypad_Right+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_right"
Joy7 "(null)"
Joypad_Down+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear"
Down "(null)"
Joypad_Right "throttletoggle"
Joy5 "(null)"
Joy6+joy5 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll"
Joypad_Left+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_1"
Joypad_Up+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_2"
Joypad_Right+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"
Joypad_Down+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_4"
Multiply ""
Joy5+joy2 "Map"
Joy5+joy1 "Inventory"
Joy7+joy2 "Missions"
Joy7+joy1 "CharacterStatus"
Joy6+joy1 "Skills"
Rtrigger+start "Dutyofficer"

Ground:

Joystick2_Left "+left"
Joystick2_Right "+right"
Joypad_Up "+aim"
Joypad_Down "+crouch"
Joypad_Left "GenSendMessage Inventory_Root SwitchActiveWeapon"
Joy1 "Interactwindow"
Joy2 "ScanForClickies"
Joy4 "UseTrayslot0 4"
Joy11 "UseTraySlot0 2"
Joy12 "UseTraySlot0 3"
Bb "UseTraySlot0 1"
Ab "UseTraySlot0 0"
Joy11+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 2"
Joy12+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 3"
Bb+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 1"
Ab+joy7 "UseTraySlot1 0"
Joy7+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 4"
Joy11+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 2"
Joy12+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 3"
Bb+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 1"
Ab+joy5 "UseTraySlot2 0"
Joy5+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 4"
Joy8+joy4 "UseTrayslot1 9"
Joy11+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 7"
Joy12+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 8"
Bb+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 6"
Ab+joy8 "UseTraySlot1 5"
Joy11+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 7"
Joy12+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 8"
Bb+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 6"
Ab+joy6 "UseTraySlot2 5"
Joy6 "+up"
Joy6+joy4 "UseTrayslot2 9"
Joy4+joy3 "UseTrayslot0 9"
Joy11+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 7"
Joy12+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 8"
Bb+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 6"
Ab+joy3 "UseTraySlot0 5"
Joypad_Right+joy11 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers"
Joypad_Right+joy12 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps"
Joypad_Right+bb "(null)"
Joypad_Right+ab "(null)"
Joy7+joy7 "(null)"
Joy8+joy7 "+power_exec Distribute_Shields"
Joy8 "(null)"
Lbutton "(null)"
Joypad_Up+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Forward"
Joypad_Left+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Left"
Joypad_Right+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_right"
Joy7 "(null)"
Joypad_Down+joy7 "+power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear"
Down "(null)"
Joypad_Right "HolsterToggle"
Joy5 "+run"
Joy6+joy5 "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll"
Joypad_Left+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_1"
Joypad_Up+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_2"
Joypad_Right+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"
Joypad_Down+joy8 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_4"
Multiply ""
Joy5+joy2 "Map"
Joy5+joy1 "Inventory"
Joy7+joy1 "CharacterStatus"
Joy7+joy2 "Missions"
Rtrigger+start "Dutyofficer"

There is one thing I couldn't map to the controller, however and that is the minigames that use the keyboard arrow keys such as anomalies and the asteroid mining mini game. Apparently mapping of these keys is hardwired into the game, otherwise I would have added a d-pad combo for these.

Where you put the individual skills in the trays is of course up to you.

These binds should work for the dual action and any similar controller.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
With logitech controllers there is a far easier way to do it which allows you to bind any key to your controller.

Personally i have logitech attack3, and use logitech profile to run it, heres how.
1. Turn off all pads ingame
2. Create logitech profile on the profiler, just go to profile, new n folllow instructions
2. ON logitech profiler, go to options, global profiler settings, turn on apply persistant profile

Programming the commands
First note that this is not botting as nothing at all is automated, it still requires manual button presses, just on the device instead of keyboard.

Basically on the right hand side there is a list of the buttons, click one, go to select keystroke, then follow instructions to record it, then save it. That way when you press the assigned button, it sends the command to press the butto you define. Like for example my top left button on the stick activates fire at will by sending the command alt+7 when i click it. Using this you can assign the pads buttons to any keybind at all within the game giving complete customisation.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the method above, it would be very usefull for people using all brands of equip, this is just an easier method for logitech devices.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptz82
With logitech controllers there is a far easier way to do it which allows you to bind any key to your controller.

Personally i have logitech attack3, and use logitech profile to run it, heres how.
2. Create logitech profile on the profiler, just go to profile, new n folllow instructions
2. ON logitech profiler, go to options, global profiler settings, turn on apply persistant profile

Programming the commands
First note that this is not botting as nothing at all is automated, it still requires manual button presses, just on the device instead of keyboard.

Basically on the right hand side there is a list of the buttons, click one, go to select keystroke, then follow instructions to record it, then save it. That way when you press the assigned button, it sends the command to press the butto you define. Like for example my top left button on the stick activates fire at will by sending the command alt+7 when i click it. Using this you can assign the pads buttons to any keybind at all within the game giving complete customisation.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the method above, it would be very usefull for people using all brands of equip, this is just an easier method for logitech devices.
Yeah you could, but the fact is Star trek online supports controllers directly and there's no need to go through the process of setting up a profile in logitech profiler which I personally find difficult to do especially with multibutton combos, and the above post was for those wanting to jump in with a complete set of controls without having to map them all themselves. I did most of the work so they don't have to, all they need to do is copy, paste and save them to the proper folder, then load them in game. Other than spending quite a while binding each button/key combo in the profiler or even in game.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Perfect for newbies too!
05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerblast
Yeah you could, but the fact is Star trek online supports controllers directly and there's no need to go through the process of setting up a profile in Logitech profile which I personally find difficult to do especially with multibutton combos, and the above post was for those wanting to jump in with a complete set of controls without having to map them all themselves. I did most of the work so they don't have to, all they need to do is copy, past and save them to the proper folder, then load them in game. Other than spending quite a while binding each button/key combo in the profile or even in game.
I think Powerblast's post was exceptionally planned out and created. Wow it seems you not only made it super easy for just anyone using the Dual Action controller to load up and go, but also maximized the use of the controller, which I for one wouldn't have even figured out without days of studying and lots of pizza and Sapporo! I can't tell you Powerblast how much you have helped me both earlier and right now with this. I completely see what you meant by my "setup" not being the best layout now that I see what could be done. I commend you for your time and effort I know this surely took you some time and like other you'd rather play then post guides for newbie's but for many of us newbes well created "guides" are all we have to get us up and going.

This is exceptional and i certainly appreciate it greatly after spending 4 days fiddling around and reading endless forum posts and Googl'ing this is a Huge help and you're a value to this forum and community.

While I do understand " conceptz82" point which I think i have tried previously and was unsuccessful, your way is simpler and maximizes the use of the controller without the use of another software running too no doubt.

Thanks a bunch!

Here's a Commendation Award ---> http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/p...mmendation.jpg
Lt. Commander
Is it possible to add, or create a image layout of these controls to use at a glance (Visually helpful in getting use to them) for Visual learners like myself

I know in the game's options panel and I believe this forum has the keyboard layouts for :

Space
Ground Shooter
Ground RGB

Is it possible to create one for the Dual Action Controller. If so is anyone out there savvy enough and able?
It would be great Powerblast if we could see your layouts keymapping on the actual controller to be able to look at it a glance...

Perhaps a challenge for any programmers out there in this community:

A PC App that can print custom mapping images for the Dual action controller based on what was entered in the setup either by importing them from .txt or some other way to get them from the game itself. I wish the game let you do it just as it does for the keyboard layouts. Just another idea that I believe would really help people faster.

I for one learn best by seeing so while i really appreciate those who create these helpful guides I find I learn much faster when I can see it as an image or video in general. I'm sure many out there can agree other wise we wouldn't see so many tutorials on YouTube.

Visual, Cognative, Kinesthetic, Audible

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-12-2012, 07:50 AM
As far as a graphical layout of the controls:

For space:

http://i.imgur.com/e62yw.jpg

and for Ground:

http://i.imgur.com/tqxBs.jpg

About Space, ground, and shooter modes, with the exception of some movement controls the buttons all work the same for all 3. And personally I suggest not using Shooter mode on ground since it disables autofire.

I simply wish Cryptic would make an interface for joysticks similar to the one they now have for keyboard where it has an image of a basic controller and you can set 1 or 2 button combos for what commands you want. That would have saved me a ton of typing
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptz82

Programming the commands

I wanted to add something.

You mentioned that the Logitech profiler is a different way to go. and in the case of your controller and others like it external keybinds might be actually better. However the fact is STO internally supports gamepad and x-box style controllers. In fact by default it actually supports movement, and some tray buttons, but others that should be mapped by default aren't and must be done manually. STO's sister game Champions Online maps almost every possible command to the gamepad style controller by default, and they even label them in the tray using the 360 controller button labels.

Actually the mappings I gave actually vary a bit from the few default buttons that are mapped. The few defaults there are work great with a 360 controller but not with standard gamepads. The reason for this is the fact the the button layout is slightly different most are the same but the primary 1 - 4 (A,B,X,Y) buttons are laid out differently.

X-box controller:
Y
X B
A

Gamepad:
4(Y)
1(A) 3(X)
2(B)

So if a player is using it expecting for button 1 to be tray slot 1 he's actually using tray slot 4 by default and while a veteran player might be able to get used to this a new player that is using a controller might get confused. Remember that this section of the forums is for new player advice, and in fact I'm a fairly new player to STO. However I'm a long time veteran of Champions online, I decided to join STO when it went f2p. and now play it almost exclusively. But point is I used my knowledge gained on champions button mapping and made a setup that works intuitively for those players wanting to use a joypad style controller. In fact there are actually many other things that could have been mapped because STO supports 2 button combos so you can actually map 117 different commands to the controller, however some of the button combos possible are difficult to pull off without finger gymnastics. I kept it simple and straightforward In fact there are a few I added simply because they were requested by the person who inspired me the write this guide. I personally was more that content to use the controller for basic movement and combat, and occasionally hitting the "I" key on the keyboard to open my inventory, or "M" to look at the map. but because it was requested I mapped them to the controller. Unfortunately navigation inside some of the menus aren't supported by controllers, nor are some of the minigames as mentioned before, but still a 90% controller based game works better than the alternative because I could never get used to WASD style movement or hitting the correct keyboard key without looking down. with the controller everything is literally at my fingertips.

On another note I was asked by lesguignol how I knew what the different buttons were labled as for use when using /bind in the game to program combos yourself. The answer is fairly easy... I used a popular search engine starting in "G" to search for controller keybinding in STO and found a very nice guide in this forum that combined with my CO binding knowledge helped me make controller config files a relatively new player could just jump in and start playing with instead of manually having to type every bind, or enter every bind manually on an external profiler program.

Unfortunately non-standard controllers (meaning not looking like x-box or PS2) controllers such as flightsticks, ect. do need to be programmed externally.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Returning player Q- I use to use a controller almost exclusively, but it seemed like with every patch my keybinds would get Scramble III'ed and come out all wonkey. THat was the biggest turn-off for me, having to check and reset multiple set-ups for alts and whatnot.

It really irked me because I loved playing with a controller, and since I've started playing again I have yet to set up my controller again.

Now, I have a Logitech pad so I can do it either of the two described methods, but since I'm already use to setting up my keybinds in-game and not through the Logitech set-up I'd prefer to keep doing it like I always did.

My question is, have you noticed any increased 'stability' with the in-game method? Do you have to mess around with re-checking keybinds after patches?

Thanks for the help and thanks for the thread!
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
Returning player Q- I use to use a controller almost exclusively, but it seemed like with every patch my keybinds would get Scramble III'ed and come out all wonkey. THat was the biggest turn-off for me, having to check and reset multiple set-ups for alts and whatnot.

It really irked me because I loved playing with a controller, and since I've started playing again I have yet to set up my controller again.

Now, I have a Logitech pad so I can do it either of the two described methods, but since I'm already use to setting up my keybinds in-game and not through the Logitech set-up I'd prefer to keep doing it like I always did.

My question is, have you noticed any increased 'stability' with the in-game method? Do you have to mess around with re-checking keybinds after patches?

Thanks for the help and thanks for the thread!
I couldn't tell you if there was a change in stability between in-game binding and external binding because I never got into external binds. Internally the game supports true analog camera rotation and movement. where if programmed through a profile program you are simply replacing a stick direction or button with a key on the keyboard. When I move my left joystick to the left I want how fast I turn in that direction to depend on how far I move the stick, not a set speed because it's replacing the "A" key on the keyboard. It's those little things that got me to make this set of bind files.

I haven't had to redo any keybinds because of a patch that I know of.

A lot of my bindings working really depends on the fact that I don't use selected targeting, but rather line of sight. Oddly enough even using this on ground autofire still targets the enemy that is either closest or the most threatening to you. I admit there is the disadvantage of not seeing the enemy health bar, but I think that is outweighed by the fact an enemy can come into range, cause you to lock onto them then go back out of range, and you lose focus on a more dangerous enemy. With the point and shoot method... you shoot the first thing in front of you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
That's good to hear! Thanks again!