Lt. Commander
# 1 whats up with the federation?
05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Honestly, just played some of those new "missions" and i do not get it. The Federation is about peace and justice, not about building new weapons because other races won't help us stop the borg. Sense when did we turn into an aggressive force? Also when i went into the gamma quadrant the vorta said he'd 'forgive my presence" HEY buddy, you have a bunch of troops over on ds9 causing problems....fix this...do not dare ask me to release your founder - got it?
The funny thing is though - the federation admiral was talking about going ahead without the others and building stronger weapons then bam! ds9 is under attack and were letting the founder go? Then we haveto fight the jem'hadar anyway?
i just don't get it - i just don't like it. seriously cryptic pull it together.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
have to agree actually the founder should be beamed into space on wide dispersal at the first sign of an attack THAT will sort em
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorCracker
Honestly, just played some of those new "missions" and i do not get it. The Federation is about peace and justice, not about building new weapons because other races won't help us stop the borg. Sense when did we turn into an aggressive force? Also when i went into the gamma quadrant the vorta said he'd 'forgive my presence" HEY buddy, you have a bunch of troops over on ds9 causing problems....fix this...do not dare ask me to release your founder - got it?
The funny thing is though - the federation admiral was talking about going ahead without the others and building stronger weapons then bam! ds9 is under attack and were letting the founder go? Then we haveto fight the jem'hadar anyway?
i just don't get it - i just don't like it. seriously cryptic pull it together.
A: Shon is not an admiral
B: He was saying "If you choose NOT TO HELP US. We are not obligated to AID YOU." aka "If you choose not to join our alliance, and come running to us screaming for aid, we technically don't have to aid you at all." followed with "I hope we develop new weapons and destroy the borg threat before YOU who choose NOT TO BE PART OF THIS ALLIANCE, get assimilated."
C: The Jem'hadar are an old fleet. Notice how the Vorta bows into line instantly with the founder there? It's not her fault, or the founders fault the First Jem'hadar of the fleet went crazy after being told he failed the founders utterly.

So yeah, the Federation standpoint of the conference was "Help us to save your planets. If you don't, we hope that we can stop the borg before your planets/races/government is destroyed."

Edit: It might've been a little aggressive, but one captain does not mean ALL of the Federation is suddenly warlike and aggressive. So what, you'd rather the Federation go "Okay, since you won't help us against the borg, we'll just not develop any new anti-borg tech and watch them assimilate us all."?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I love the irony. First we get this;

Quote:
The Federation is about peace and justice, not about building new weapons because other races won't help us stop the borg. Sense when did we turn into an aggressive force?
Quickly followed up with this;

Quote:
Also when i went into the gamma quadrant the vorta said he'd 'forgive my presence" HEY buddy, you have a bunch of troops over on ds9 causing problems....fix this...do not dare ask me to release your founder - got it?
That's some impressive peace and justice. I mean, just because you've trespassed into there (hostile) space they don't have a right to threaten to destroy you or anything, do they?

EDIT: At this point, he also wasn't entirely sure what was going on. IIRC he knew there were Dominion forces there but he wasn't sure who or where they were from. For all he knew it could have been a set up as the forces in the Worm Hole had disappeared decades before.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
You didn't pay much attention to the later seasons of Deep Space 9, did you?

The Federation has changed. They *TRY* to be diplomatic whenever they possibly can, but once the threat of changelings infiltrating Starfleet got out during a time where an extremely aggressive race from the Gamma Quadrant was threatening to just role right in, the UFP knew that they had to step things up a bit just to defend themselves.

They know that they will have to resort to violence if they know that a peaceful resolution cannot be obtained, and the various factions and species out there have found ways to cause turmoil and rattle everyone's cages from the inside out. The Federation knows how the tension is high all over the alpha quadrant, and how even the slightest push can cause another fullscale war that could destroy everyone in the end. Then the Borg show up and the now only solution is to fight back.

So, yes, the UFP still tries to settle things peacefully, but they have to be ready for a worst case scenario to defend themselves.

You can't fight off the common cold by offering it a gift basket of good will. That's not gonna stop you from getting sick.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-11-2012, 11:56 PM
just cause we are peacefull doesnt mean that if you attack us we wont wipe out your fleet. Remember the statement the best defense is a good offense. Thats why our flagships have the most guns in the fleet. Galaxy class had what 4 times the phaser banks of the defiant. Now we have diplomates trying to peace without violence. However like i said you fire we destroy thus peace is returned fast.

Now i want to be able to air lock incompetent diplomats
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-12-2012, 12:07 AM
I think Starfleet may be a bit desillusioned after the many wars and troubles they've faced recently. But I agree that there's a 'vibe' of aggressiveness overall. For example, you don't really have the option NOT to work with section 31 (which could have offered a great moral dilemma for a Fed captain). Also, there's a star cluster mission in the B'Tran Cluster where we are ordered to destroy a bunch of ships so a group of religious aliens can make a pilgrimmage...I mean, seriously, since when does the Federation order attacks based on religious beliefs?

Overall, the Federation is a lot grimmer than it used to be in the Picard-and-before-days.

Which is kinda interesting from a sociological point of view, but frustrating for those who want to reenact the tv series.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Weren't those attacking jem'hadar ships several decades old? How did they manage to put up such a good fight?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
What was several decades to us was literally only a second for them. They were "removed away" from time by the Prophets. The effects of time and material degradation had no impact on them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
He meant technologically.